OT: last chance u

I'm a HC and DC and just finished up my 3rd year. I was a player at Uni and all that.

Watching this one was more painful (the show was great but you saw the bad side of coaching.) To gain trust from your players you gotta open up and let them see the real you and not just some authority figure yelling at you, day in day out. Kids don't take well to that, **** I didn't when I played (I'm 31.) This Coach Stephens guy won't get any offer from anything higher ever, and he's feasting on the fact that these kids have zero choice but to listen. A brutal comparison but a reasonable one is (from the kids perspective), you married a guy who's beating you, but he's got all the money and al the power and you can't do anything but do what he says or he's gonna beat you.

The part that made me twitch was when a kid is hurt and he's telling him to "...get up right away and stop looking like a sorry SOB..." . The kid's hurt man doesn't benefit anyone if that player kneels down and the trainer can look at him.

Regarding that Kam player, that player has some family issues big time. For him to play for you, you really need to dig down and treat him like your son, think of the movie Blindside, that type of ****.

Advertisement
I'm a HC and DC and just finished up my 3rd year. I was a player at Uni and all that.

Watching this one was more painful (the show was great but you saw the bad side of coaching.) To gain trust from your players you gotta open up and let them see the real you and not just some authority figure yelling at you, day in day out. Kids don't take well to that, **** I didn't when I played (I'm 31.) This Coach Stephens guy won't get any offer from anything higher ever, and he's feasting on the fact that these kids have zero choice but to listen. A brutal comparison but a reasonable one is (from the kids perspective), you married a guy who's beating you, but he's got all the money and al the power and you can't do anything but do what he says or he's gonna beat you.

The part that made me twitch was when a kid is hurt and he's telling him to "...get up right away and stop looking like a sorry SOB..." . The kid's hurt man doesn't benefit anyone if that player kneels down and the trainer can look at him.

Regarding that Kam player, that player has some family issues big time. For him to play for you, you really need to dig down and treat him like your son, think of the movie Blindside, that type of ****.

Isaiah threw a hissy fit when the OC told him "Hey, sit out, I want to have you available later in the season, it isn't worth it to throw your entire season down the drain". He bailed on his team whenever he didn't get his way. The consistent sulking got tired, and it was obvious that he was just a jerkass. You saw the same thing with John Franklin III last year, and we've all seen how that has worked out. The kind of players that do well under Stephens and coaches like him are the ones who are self starters, who don't need to be babysat. It's the "I'm an overgrown baby" types that won't do well. Don't get me wrong, kids like Ollie and the like are entertaining, they have a world of potential, but you can't depend on them, because they aren't dependable. When you watch the show, the one thing Stephens harps on is playing hard, and not feeling sorry for yourself. In other words, he's telling these kids to be ADULTS. He is a poor communicator, but the message itself is sound.

I'm not a big fan of the overly emotional screaming coach, but the dynamic Stephens has with his staff would work, if he wasn't such a glory hog. You can have a hardass, crazy HC, but you need to have position coaches and coordinators that build the guys back up. The problem is that Stephens tears down the position coaches, the coordinators, and that makes it impossible for the dynamic to work.

Advertisement
Back