OT: Kicked out for winning too much...

Advertisement
Cool headline. Is this substantially different from adjusting a school's conference to better match the level of competition?

From a different article. They were whooping that *** lmao

"The school's undergraduate enrollment (6,300) is more than double the next-highest conference rival. The Tommies have also captured over 50 percent of the MIAC titles across all sports during the past five years.
The gulf was particularly wide in football, on which Medcalf noted St. Thomas spends $1.1 million annually. St. Thomas went 6-2 in the MIAC in 2018, with its six wins coming by a combined score of 323-34.
"

But the OP article is disingenuous. Not really surprising considering the source though.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Actually very common to see in D3 sports. For the most part every conference has an outlier, I can only think of 2 conferences that are consistently deep (UAA and NESCAC) and often have different champions. D3 is full of top tier academic schools so those are the ones that "clean up" in recruiting. As a whole it's a very different world than D1 in almost every aspect.

Im genuinely surprised that 5 years is too much as my alma mater has won the conference title in tennis 14 of last 15 years and the football 8 or 9 of the last 10.

I was hoping this was about Clemson

I played against St. Thomas several times at another MIAC School (Carleton College). They dominate the league in just about every sport, not just Football. The decision to excommunicate them from the league was not based solely on Football. They have won 60% of all the titles in the league over the last five years. The reason for this is that they prioritize athletics and spend a ***** ton more money than than everyone else in the league. That said, this is not a case of a school that has has more resources than the other schools outspending them because they are wealthier. They are not. My school has one third the undergrad enrollment of St. Thomas and no grad programs which makes our total enrollment about one fifth of theirs. Despite this discrepancy, Carleton has twice the endowment of St. Thomas (Roughly 900M vs 450M). This shows the differing priorities that exist with St. Thomas vs the rest of the league. They routinely hang 70 or 80 on their opponents. They are a D-3 program that runs its business like a D-2 program and the rest of the league gave them the boot because of it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back