OT: Karl Dorrell fired at Colorado

Advertisement
Colorado is deader than Nebraska, but at least Nebraska has money.

I disagree. NEB is a god awful place to attend school. Lincoln is a dump and that place is just a deadzone. Boulder and that area of CO, Denver etc is awesome. It's a cool place to go to school. NEB is awful. CO is gorgeous

If Colorado put some money in they could get solid results. But that conference is dead. Not as dead as the ACC but dead. As a coach I would love to coach in boulder as long as I had a big recruiting budget and modest expectations

Does Colorado go after one of their own?

1664759108393.jpeg

Advertisement
If Colorado put some money in they could get solid results. But that conference is dead. Not as dead as the ACC but dead. As a coach I would love to coach in boulder as long as I had a big recruiting budget and modest expectations
The problem goes beyond money, it's more about the school, the area and priorities. Before Coach McCartney came along, CU was a hippie school, that didn't really give a crap about football. In fact, their most famous football alum before Mac came along was more famous for his post CU career, than his accomplishments on the field(Byron "Whizzer' White).

CU hit the lottery with Coach Mac, then they had another solid hire in Neuheisel. They followed Rick with Gary Barnett, who was the perfect kind of coach for the program CU is. Was he an elite coach? No, but he gave them a solid program identity, and they were consistently good. They were usually a solid 8-10 win team. The problem is that CU forgot what they were and combined with some scandals felt compelled to make a move. They have made some inspired hires(Dan Hawkins, Mike McIntyre), but have also made some hires with extremely low success probabilities(Jon Embree, Karl Dorrell). That's the issue, no one is going to be perfect, but you have to make consistently decent hires. You will have some guys that appear to be solid, but ultimately fail, but you can't have guys that are unlikely to succeed...

CU belongs in the Pac 12(The Big XII was going in a direction that no school with options wanted to stick around for), the issue is that CU, outside of a very small period has never been a school that thinks as itself as a "Football" school. The boosters, the alumni and the student body view football as something to do, but it isn't their main priority. CU is like Cal, in the fact that it's a hippie school, sports aren't THE thing there, it's about going skiing and getting stoned. Does CU have a booster group that is fully committed to the cause? It doesn't appear that they do. They need to get someone to buy in, and then embrace realistic expectations. They can be a solid program, on the periphery of being elite.

Advertisement
Back