OT: Jimmy Johnson, Bo Jackson & a Matchup in the Meadowlands

CoachDannyMiaz

Fyre Fest Influencer
Some interesting quotes from Miami's 1984 Kickoff Classic "upset" of Bo Jackson & #1 Auburn in Jimmy Johnson's 1st game as Canes Head Coach (also, see video of the full game below the quotes):
  • "Bernie Kosar threw for 329 yards and Greg Cox kicked the first two field goals of his college career in the fourth quarter tonight to give Miami a 20-18 victory over Auburn in the second Kickoff Classic at Giants Stadium."
  • "For a lasting impression, Kosar completed his performance by throwing a 44-yard pass to Ed Brown on third and five in the final seconds. It was certainly a better trip north for Kosar than for Auburn running back Bo Jackson, who had a less-than-Heisman evening with only 96 yards in 20 carries."
  • "Miami stretched its winning streak to 12 games, the longest in the nation, and ended Auburn's at 10 games. Bo Jackson, the Auburn junior running back, gained 96 yards in 20 carries, but was outgained by Alonzo Highsmith, a Miami sophomore, who ran for 140 yards in 21 carries. Kosar completed 21 of 38 passes, including two for touchdowns to the senior Stanley Shakespeare and 8 to the senior Eddie Brown for 157 yards."
  • "The loss had to be especially painful for the Tigers, who bad-mouthed last year's final polls that voted the national championship to Miami after the Hurricanes' victory over Nebraska in the Orange Bowl and Auburn's Sugar Bowl victory over Michigan."
  • "Some might have expected Miami, with eight defensive starters gone from last season's team, to have trouble with Auburn's wishbone. But the Hurricanes held for the most part and made Coach Jimmy Johnson a winner in his first game as successor to the currently unemployed Howard Schnellenberger."
  • "At this moment, I'm as proud as I've ever been in my coaching career," Johnson said."

Advertisement
I remember that game.

It should have been a blowout but we kept shooting ourselves in the foot and that kept Auburn in the game.

Good stuff!

I didn't exist yet so I missed this game (lol) but I've been going back and watching old Canes games lately leading up to the season. Honestly didn't even know Miami played against Bo Jackson until seeing this. And for it to be Jimmy's first game in charge was interesting too. Youtube came through in the clutch.

I didn't exist yet so I missed this game (lol) but I've been going back and watching old Canes games lately leading up to the season. Honestly didn't even know Miami played against Bo Jackson until seeing this. And for it to be Jimmy's first game in charge was interesting too. Youtube came through in the clutch.

We owned college football back then. Can't wait to see us back at the pinnacle.

This was a strange game, and a strange year. Defense held up pretty well here, but obviously couldn't stop any half decent passing teams later in the year.

As a little kid, though, I remember watching this game and thinking another national title was on the way the very next year.

Advertisement

Jimmy created a monster back then, '84 was a bit of a struggle but from the next several years we were college football. I loved watching that team play back then

I remember the game well...I was 24 and had just moved to Miami after 3yrs on Captiva..following 2yrs of Culinary School....Great Times...Great yrs (84-88)

Ed Brown is a high end custom handgun manufacturer.

Eddie Brown was a wide receiver at UM.

Advertisement
The Bo Jackson vs. Highsmith stat line says it all.

Bo Jackson of course was an absolute 5 Star recruit. Possibly one of the Top 5 RB prospects of all time. Highsmith was a 4 star stud as well.

But I will always initially defer to a specific kind of S. Florida athlete. It's more than just simply being from down here. It's about playing with that chip on your shoulder. Like everybody always counting you out.

We crying and *****ing and moaning about the Good's and Brownlee and Bethel's of the class. Watch how they ball out.

The Bo Jackson vs. Highsmith stat line says it all.

Bo Jackson of course was an absolute 5 Star recruit. Possibly one of the Top 5 RB prospects of all time. Highsmith was a 4 star stud as well.

But I will always initially defer to a specific kind of S. Florida athlete. It's more than just simply being from down here. It's about playing with that chip on your shoulder. Like everybody always counting you out.

We crying and *****ing and moaning about the Good's and Brownlee and Bethel's of the class. Watch how they ball out.
Completely agree with everything you said. And it gives me a lil dose of civic pride when a south florida cane outcompetes a higher ranked/higher regarded kid from some other area.

I was there at the Meadowlands. A great night...So rare to see a big college game in the NYC area with national championship implications...Of course, the season imploded later — blowing a 31-0 lead to Maryland, the Flutie Hail Mary, etc...

Advertisement

That year ended up a bit of a mess and ownership really got started the next year. However, Pat Dye’s comment after the game was a real Hurricane warning: “Miami had some menfolk playing out there tonight.”

That game was great and beating the swamp slime in the next game as they were carrying thier cheating coach off the flield while Bernie was driving for the winning score was pure joy. Rest of year was very painful.

Eddie Brown was incredible in 1984. He might be overshadowed by more recent Miami WR's but I think he has to be on that Canes wide receiver Mt Rushmore(mine would have him, Playmaker, Moss and Andre Johnson)

Eddie Brown was incredible in 1984. He might be overshadowed by more recent Miami WR's but I think he has to be on that Canes wide receiver Mt Rushmore(mine would have him, Playmaker, Moss and Andre Johnson)

Even his pro career is underrated. Rookie of the Year. Most of the Bengals records were his until another Miami kid (Ochocinco) broke them. Big time plays in the Super Bowl. Dude is way too good to be forgotten like his seems to be.

I always wonder how different Eddie Brown's career is if the Bengals take Jerry Rice and he goes to the 49ers to play with Montana and Steve Young.

Advertisement
Even his pro career is underrated. Rookie of the Year. Most of the Bengals records were his until another Miami kid (Ochocinco) broke them. Big time plays in the Super Bowl. Dude is way too good to be forgotten like his seems to be.

I always wonder how different Eddie Brown's career is if the Bengals take Jerry Rice and he goes to the 49ers to play with Montana and Steve Young.

Yeah, Eddie had a great beginning to his career in Cincy and then had some Pro Bowl like seasons and it's like he just vanished real quickly. But most Miami fans that were around for his era or have watched his 83 and 84 seasons have him on their All-time Miami team. Guy was spectacular

The only problem I have with this thread is that it's labeled "OT." Not a **** thing OT about it.

I figured "Eye in The Sky" was more about Today's team or recent teams and this random game from 34 years ago might not fit. But you might be right.

Just looked up the schedule that year......what an absurd slate of games we had to open the year:

vs. #1 Auburn at neutral site
vs #17 Florida at the "neutral site" of Tampa
at #14 Michigan
at Purdue
home vs #15 FSU (and wow, we got waxed in that game....I remember it, a rain game in the OB where we could never get going)

Advertisement
Back