OT: Jeff Stoutland

Well, you can’t say Randy Shannon never hired a good coach. Stoutland’s line held quite well for Jacory.
Heck Randy probably had the best staff since the one Butch left us. It look like crap at the time but taht was before we saw Al's, Mark's and Manny's. Stoutland was best coach here since Butch's staff, which had future NFL HCs all over it. Randy was not HC worthy but those that came later make him look better.

Advertisement
We wasted one of the best line coaches in the game.

In 2009 we had Jeff Stoutland coaching:

Oralndo Franklin - 2nd Round
Jason Fox - 4th Round
Brandon Washington - 6th Round

But the OL was still the "problem" of the offense. The OL will always get the blame, no matter what. That will never change.

Go back and look at the videos of Edge's and Willis' highlights. They were just posted here recently. Who was the OL coach for both players? I believe it was Kehoe.

Look at how overpowering and dynamic the OLs were in all the videos. Wish we could do that today....to say nothing of the overpowering OL of the 2001 team.

Now tell me those lines were disastrous.
Kehoe was fine when he had talent to work with, and a QB worth a **** to do his part.

In 2009 we had Jeff Stoutland coaching:

Oralndo Franklin - 2nd Round
Jason Fox - 4th Round
Brandon Washington - 6th Round

But the OL was still the "problem" of the offense. The OL will always get the blame, no matter what. That will never change.

That's funny because I seem to recall the problem in 2009 being Jacory's interceptions (see the Clemson & UNC games, for example).

Matt Pipho was a turnstile at Right Tackle, though.

Advertisement
Good lord. A good OL coach should not need the talent of the 2001 team to look good.

When his talent fell all the way to the talent of the 02 team, Kehoe was a disaster. Watch the Ohio State game.
There were problems much bigger than Kehoe. It was his lines that paved the way for that run. His lines were the **** foundation, starting in the late 90s. When Butch and his discipline left, everything fell apart. But yes, let's blame the OL coach, as if he was the main culprit in our demise.

That's funny because I seem to recall the problem in 2009 being Jacory's interceptions (see the Clemson & UNC games, for example).

Matt Pipho was a turnstile at Right Tackle, though.

I'd agree with this. QB play has been a much bigger problem than our OL.

Giving Jacory all day and it wouldn't change his tendency to throw INT's. If we had a good OL the last couple years - it would just mean QB's like Rosier/Perry would have 8 seconds to throw an inaccurate pass instead of 4 seconds.

And saying Pipho was a turnstile lines up with my feeling that talent/recruiting > coaching/player development. If we had one of the best OL coaches out there, and still had a turnstile at Tackle, then there's only so much a coach can do with the talent he has.

In the end - I still think OL will always be the default scapegoat when the offense struggles, regardless if it's actually true or not.

Guy got blasted by this fan base here
He did, but he left before the fruits of his recruiting labor could be seen.

If he didn't leave for Bama the Flowers, Feliciano, McDermott, Linder, and Henderson probably perform better than they did under Kehoe.

Advertisement
He did, but he left before the fruits of his recruiting labor could be seen.

If he didn't leave for Bama the Flowers, Feliciano, McDermott, Linder, and Henderson probably perform better than they did under Kehoe.

True, they couldn't get over Matt Pipho

Advertisement
Back