OT: Is happiness in sports an illusion?

Is happiness in sports an unobtainable illusion?

• Yes

Votes: 66 40.2%
  • No

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • It’s complicated

Votes: 63 38.4%

• Total voters
Really enjoyed this post OP.

I root for all the South Florida teams, + Georgetown basketball and the NY Giants.

A championship is a cherry on top, but the pursuit of a championship is just as much about the peripheral goals that we usually associate with personal and professional aspirations.

I think it’s important to attach sports to general ideologies that resonate with yourself. I always enjoy rooting for the Heat because they have strong community ties and a high floor of on-the-court competency and organizational competency.

If someone finds those things they can identify with, happiness in sports is attainable.

Advertisement
I used to be much more emotionally attached to my sports teams to the point that a win or loss really impacted my mood for a few hours. As I've gotten older, I've had other events in my life, i.e., birth of and raising of my kids and watching them flourish has far superseded any emotions that I received from watching sports! It could also be that my Canes and Phins have sucked for so long!

I think it's an accelerating trend, for sure.

Sharing our support of clubs is the most important part of my relationship with my own father, could not imagine my life without it.
Watching games with my father as a young adult is how my perception of him changed from just the disciplinarian of my youth to a wonderful human being.

Advertisement
Much respect, @IndayArtHauz .

When I was a kid, I was much more passionate and invested in my sports teams. A Dolphin or Cane loss meant kind of a crappy week and for sure a miserable day.

As I've gotten older, perspective has shifted much for me. It has nothing to do with the 'business' of sports and more to do with my own priorities in life. I became a father and business owner and I realized a few things:

1) Time is precious. It's the one resource you can never get back. Time spent on sports meant less time for the things that were directly meaningful in my life. So I started investing more of my time in my true joys: my family, building my business, and now, personal experiences with my wife and loved ones (such as travel, etc.)

2) There's no one on any sports team, franchise front office, or athletic department that gives a rat's *** about me. And they certainly aren't putting food on my family's table. Why in the world would I be soooo emotionally invested in the outcomes of their games or seasons? I can now enjoy the fun of competition without it affecting my emotional well-being.

3) Sports - like movies and other hobbies - is merely entertainment. Like I said, they aren't putting food on my family's table so it's nothing more than a way to pass the time in an enjoyable, healthy way.

So now, I pretty much only watch Canes football and occasionally meet up with buddies to watch a playoff game or something - but as entertainment - not an emotional investment. Yes, I loathe the Gators, Noles, Buckeyes, and Irish but mostly because it's just in my blood and it's good fun to rib any friend who roots for those teams.

But like I said, ultimately, it's just entertainment and if you don't take it too seriously, then you can find that level of 'happiness' in it. Or at least I do.

When I see guys on this board threatening each other with physical violence at the Titanic over Butch vs Erickson or Air Raid vs Spread or whatever stupid message board disagreement, I can't help but shake my head and think, "man - you guys take this **** waaaay too seriously."

In any case, keep fighting the good fight - you are truly one of the great individuals on this board who seems to have a healthy attitude towards life and if I'm reading the tea-leaves right, are a Knoxville baby-maker that is now starting to appreciate other things like family perhaps more than whether a 4-Star from some random High School will pick us over the Gators on signing day....and that's a good thing.

There is a great deal of wisdom in this response. We'd all be a lot better off if more of us could heed it.

Watching games with my father as a young adult is how my perception of him changed from just the disciplinarian of my youth to a wonderful human being.
I can relate.........my son as a 3 year old watched Miami games and cheered. Saw that I was happy, and loved asking , " when is the next Canes game Dad?".

Now he has grown up, and we still go to games together, enjoying father son times, and talking about anything under the sun while watching our Canes.

This is not only a cerebral experience, but an emotional comforting event that bonds us to memories old and new.

As we continue compiling memories, these will last as positives and bonding, for both of us..........all wrapped around the love for our Canes and football.

Nothing matches this feeling, and it is something that I treasure.

A few random thoughts. One thing that changes as you get older, is your perception of life. Things that used to scare you as a child, perhaps no longer do. Things you thought were a certain way in the past, perhaps no longer seem that way now. Then, there is also the difference between your “first experiences“ and the subsequent ones. For example, our first NC produced a level of joy never experienced before. By the time we had our subsequent NCs, it was more of a subdued joy since the result was expected. On the downside, our NC stolen in 2001 felt like the earth gave way from under our feet. The subsequent years that our program has underperformed, we have come to expect mediocrity (until, of course, Mark Richt and what has followed). I felt elated when Mario was hired, then witnessed one of the most putrid years EVER. Perception, right? We’ve had losing seasons in our history, what makes this worst ever? Fast forward to today, I’m neutral on what to expect this year. Of course I’m a diehard fan of my U, but expectations are tempered, making me happy if it’s a good year, not so unhappy if it’s a bad one. Apologies for the rant!

My man. I think what @My2Sense is saying kinda ties in with what you and I were talking about as well where in the past I wanted the teams to win for my happiness and it would feel like an accomplishment for me. But now I want them to win so I can be happy for them, which is probably why the Canes continue to be my favorite team overall because they are young kids (not to rehash that debate).

You get a little older and you have kids or you find yourself mentoring younger people and the focus shifts from you to them. Not that I don’t care about the NFL and pro sports or aren’t happy for them, but they’ll be fine whether they win or lose.
I'm with you completely. Celebrating the kids' successes for the joy it brings them is far more satisfying than anything to do with me.

And as an aside, I've always been a big fan of your avatar. 'The Incredible Hulk' TV show with Ferrigno and Bill Bixby was my childhood favorite (along with The $6Million Dollar Man).

Here's me in 1977 after I'd shredded a pair of my jeans and painted my face with my Mom's green eye shadow to dress up as the Hulk:

messages_0 (6).jpeg

No....I clearly don't have too much pride left to worry about embarrassing myself :LOL:

Advertisement
I'm with you completely. Celebrating the kids' successes for the joy it brings them is far more satisfying than anything to do with me.

And as an aside, I've always been a big fan of your avatar. 'The Incredible Hulk' TV show with Ferrigno and Bill Bixby was my childhood favorite (along with The $6Million Dollar Man).

Here's me in 1977 after I'd shredded a pair of my jeans and painted my face with my Mom's green eye shadow to dress up as the Hulk:

View attachment 227410

No....I clearly don't have too much pride left to worry about embarrassing myself :LOL:
My man! I think it was the first tv show I really remember watching as a kid it was the reruns on Nickelodeon I’m pretty sure. It was just a bit before my time but it was absolutely a big part of my childhood

A few random thoughts. One thing that changes as you get older, is your perception of life. Things that used to scare you as a child, perhaps no longer do. Things you thought were a certain way in the past, perhaps no longer seem that way now. Then, there is also the difference between your “first experiences“ and the subsequent ones. For example, our first NC produced a level of joy never experienced before. By the time we had our subsequent NCs, it was more of a subdued joy since the result was expected. On the downside, our NC stolen in 2001 felt like the earth gave way from under our feet. The subsequent years that our program has underperformed, we have come to expect mediocrity (until, of course, Mark Richt and what has followed). I felt elated when Mario was hired, then witnessed one of the most putrid years EVER. Perception, right? We’ve had losing seasons in our history, what makes this worst ever? Fast forward to today, I’m neutral on what to expect this year. Of course I’m a diehard fan of my U, but expectations are tempered, making me happy if it’s a good year, not so unhappy if it’s a bad one. Apologies for the rant!
We still talk about that game.............our celebration lasted a total of 15 seconds...out came the flag, and then it was " oh no, you can't be serious?".....they were, and we lost....
A highway robbery in plain sight in front of millions.........

Sports used to be my entire life , now I watch when I have a little extra time . People that knew me 20 years ago would be shocked at me going to bed while my team is still playing. It’s just not the same. Especially pro sports. At one point I could tell you most of the starters on NFL, NBA, MLB and most power five bball & football teams.

These days I rarely turn my Tv on and if I do it’s likely Miami Hurricanes related , Eagles or a playoff game. I view sports as just something to take your mind off of real life. Even my passion for the Canes has waned over the last few years. Seeing how the sausage is now made has tuned me off some.

Yea I would read the sports page only, watch all NBA and NFL games. Last couple of years, Hurricane football and recruiting only. I just cant watch the pro’s and those sports channels, and sportscenter was my show! Cant tell you last time I watched e$pn

Advertisement
In 1991 i couldn't sleep for 36 hours, waiting for a High Noon showdown with FSU.
Tallahassee wasn't big enough for the Both of us.
Fast forward to last November, fell asleep before Halftime.
A shout out to the Knoxville Baby Maker.
The most Astounding thread Ever,,,on a sports forum....

View attachment 227410

I thought I was the only kid in the 70's that did that.... 🤣🤣🤣

Okay, I'll join in Grasshopper. It's a connection to a city or in our case a university you love. And if you have family you make it a tradition. Does not matter where you live. I grew up in the Orange Bowl. We had Hurricane and Dolphin season tickets. My fondest memories of my father was sitting on the 40 on a Friday watching UM get manhandled by Bama or in the heat as the Fins capped off an undefeated season. I'd trade just about anything to have just one more game with him. Why do you think my middle son went to Miami?

Advertisement
My man! I think it was the first tv show I really remember watching as a kid it was the reruns on Nickelodeon I’m pretty sure. It was just a bit before my time but it was absolutely a big part of my childhood
Watch one of those old episodes now and compare it to almost any show on tv.

Okay, I'll join in Grasshopper. It's a connection to a city or in our case a university you love. And if you have family you make it a tradition. Does not matter where you live. I grew up in the Orange Bowl. We had Hurricane and Dolphin season tickets. My fondest memories of my father was sitting on the 40 on a Friday watching UM get manhandled by Bama or in the heat as the Fins capped off an undefeated season. I'd trade just about anything to have just one more game with him. Why do you think my middle son went to Miami?
It’s those moments in time with friends and family that make participating/watching sports the ultimate past time. For 3-4 hours we experience the thrill of victory or the agony of defeat with those we care about most and create memories - good and bad - that last a lifetime. Sure, there are other activities that create similar experiences, but few are comparable to being a sports fan.

Great response. Love it. Feel the same way about my dad.

Advertisement
Back