OT: Investment In Players

RangerGranger

Gnome Sayin'?
More than once on this board, I have dreamed of a league where you could invest in players, and then reap some return if the player were ever to make it big.

Well I'll damned, this is the first I have seen of it in any sport:

Can anyone with the capacity for abstract thought tell us if this could be applied to the current day landscape of football?

Advertisement
These are all SOLD auction on eBay for Tatis.
82417F4D-1B1A-4305-9601-B5B1674BB38A.png

I mean, you aint lying ^^^

Specifically, in the form of having skin in the game if they were to land a big contract from, say, the NFL.

I mean, you aint lying ^^^

Specifically, in the form of having skin in the game if they were to land a big contract from, say, the NFL.
When it comes to sports cards, only football players that sell for money are QB’s. You got Herbert rookie cards selling for thousands and he’s only played one season so far.

Advertisement
You can bet this firm wouldn't offer this deal to just any JAG. For example, average MLB salary is $4,000,000. 1% is $40,000, but these payments would be recurring. Seems likes Vegas odds and the player is not the house.

I watched a documentary that they essentially have, what are essentially gulags in Dominican Republic for baseball players, and have people who have invested in them to "Ballplayer: Palotero" they get signed very early age 16, and essentially if they get to the MLB, they barely make any of the contract signed because of all the handlers and "investments" in the player.
It's an interesting doc for anyone who care about this stuff. Kind of mind blowing actually and sad.

One of the characters on Billions was investing in Latin baseball players on the side hoping one would strike it rich

Advertisement
Anyone thinking that first round picks are foregoing 20 million dollar signing bonuses so some hick town can claim a natty is straight delusional.
Them shts are 4 year contracts signed before they step foot on campus

More than once on this board, I have dreamed of a league where you could invest in players, and then reap some return if the player were ever to make it big.

Well I'll damned, this is the first I have seen of it in any sport:

Can anyone with the capacity for abstract thought tell us if this could be applied to the current day landscape of football?
Wouldn’t a payment to a high school or college football player void their ‘amateur’ status? Even in new era of CFB players allowed to earn money from their likeness? Definitely an interesting scenario....

Wouldn’t a payment to a high school or college football player void their ‘amateur’ status? Even in new era of CFB players allowed to earn money from their likeness? Definitely an interesting scenario....
Seems like it could just be another form of or twist on fantasy fb where the league sponsor allows people to buy players then rent them to fantasy teams based on demand.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back