OT: Interesting story about innovation and first female D1 college coach (she's a Canes fan)

Handsome Squidbum

The Strongest Steel is Forged in Dumpster Fires
Premium
Advertisement
Advertisement
Glad to see this. If a woman can fly an F-35, or coach on an NBA staff, she can coach college age kids football. It obviously has to be the right candidate, who has put in the time to learn the job. but it's hardly necessary to have played to be able to coach. Intellect, work ethic, and personality are far more critical factors.

Glad to see this. If a woman can fly an F-35, or coach on an NBA staff, she can coach college age kids football. It obviously has to be the right candidate, who has put in the time to learn the job. but it's hardly necessary to have played to be able to coach. Intellect, work ethic, and personality are far more critical factors.
Skeptical about women as men's coaches. Not simple prejudice, either.

Sorry for not going along with what is politically correct.

I don't even think women should be in the locker room, either, although that battle was lost decades ago. If it's an equality issue, just throw out the male reporters. Let them do their interviews outside when players are dressed. After all, they're just reporters.

Neg me if you want, but this is part of an unhealthy over feminization of our culture.

As far as not tackling during practice--I don't know. When I was in high school, I used to come back from practice with bad headaches. Nobody talked about concussions, back then. You just came back to practice the next day, strapped on the helmet (which were probably inferior to today's in terms of protection) and went back at it. I think we had hard contact at least several days a week between game.

I remember some older coaches back then complaining about the introduction of facemasks just a decade or so earlier. I guess they felt it was better to get multiple smashed-in noses rather than necks getting twisted around. (I don't remember a lot of focus on facemask penalties back then).

Maybe that's why football is attracting less interest among middle-class kids. More concern over permanent injury....didn't see as much concern back then. I don't know if my headaches were concussions. I did develop migraines a few years later. Maybe I would have been better off with less contact during the week between games. Do high school teams have full practice contact during the season now?

I don't even think women should be in the locker room, either, although that battle was lost decades ago. If it's an equality issue, just throw out the male reporters. Let them do their interviews outside when players are dressed. After all, they're just reporters.

Neg me if you want, but this is part of an unhealthy over feminization of our culture.

As far as not tackling during practice--I don't know. When I was in high school, I used to come back from practice with bad headaches. Nobody talked about concussions, back then. You just came back to practice the next day, strapped on the helmet (which were probably inferior to today's in terms of protection) and went back at it. I think we had hard contact at least several days a week between game.

I remember some older coaches back then complaining about the introduction of facemasks just a decade or so earlier. I guess they felt it was better to get multiple smashed-in noses rather than necks getting twisted around. (I don't remember a lot of focus on facemask penalties back then).

Maybe that's why football is attracting less interest among middle-class kids. More concern over permanent injury....didn't see as much concern back then. I don't know if my headaches were concussions. I did develop migraines a few years later. Maybe I would have been better off with less contact during the week between games. Do high school teams have full practice contact during the season now?
I agree with you regarding the over feminization of our culture. As for the concussions I can't comment on that since I have never sustained one.

Advertisement

No negging gonna happen over a discussion. But it's also not about being PC. That's a false assumption. If someone is capable of doing a job, they can do it. Meritocracy. And there is no more reason a woman is inherently unqualified to coach men, than there is for men to be able to coach women. Which happens all the time. Like I said, they have to put the time and the work in. They will be at a disadvantage having not played the same game. But there are men who never played the game at a high level that become quite good coaches. I don't think it will ever be commonplace because of the disadvantage of not having played, but I'm quite certain some women would be able to do the job fine. The operative word is "some". Agree on the locker room comment. If it goes one way, then it should go the other as well.

No negging gonna happen over a discussion. But it's also not about being PC. That's a false assumption. If someone is capable of doing a job, they can do it. Meritocracy. And there is no more reason a woman is inherently unqualified to coach men, than there is for men to be able to coach women. Which happens all the time. Like I said, they have to put the time and the work in. They will be at a disadvantage having not played the same game. But there are men who never played the game at a high level that become quite good coaches. I don't think it will ever be commonplace because of the disadvantage of not having played, but I'm quite certain some women would be able to do the job fine. The operative word is "some". Agree on the locker room comment. If it goes one way, then it should go the other as well.

This.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back