OT: Interesting Article on CTE and Football

Advertisement
This scientist raises some good points and represents another side to the discussion of CTE in football players and other athletes. Think there's a lot to still be learned on this topic.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/im-brain-scientist-let-son-play-football-135727314.html

Ummmm, no.

It's easy to find a rouge scientist going contrary to massive amounts of scientific evidence.

You've got a small body of scientist out there that's climate change deniers too----other small groups of scientists that are against vaccinations, because of this crazy idea that they lead to autism, and others that think the world is 10,000 years old.

Last edited:
This scientist raises some good points and represents another side to the discussion of CTE in football players and other athletes. Think there's a lot to still be learned on this topic.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/im-brain-scientist-let-son-play-football-135727314.html

This article reads exactly like every article in from the 60's to 80's that tried to distract or slow the advancement of science by injecting doubt because of unfinished science. There is no debate that repeated head trauma causes CTE. The only debate is to what rate and how much does genetics come into play. If their was ever a reason to overreact when protecting children it's potential brain trauma.

SMOKE IS BAD FOR YOUR LUNGS.
GETTING HIT IN THE HEAD IS BAD FOR YOUR BRAIN.

Ummmm, no.

It's easy to find a rouge scientist going contrary to massive amounts of scientific evidence.

You've got a small body of scientist out there that's climate change deniers too----other small groups of scientists that are against vaccinations, because of this crazy idea that they lead to autism, and others that think the world is 10,000 years old.

And if you think those scientists don't get paid so other people in politics can make money then I'm the king of rome and the dolphins are winning the super bowl this year.

I just can't believe that scientists actually have to study whether or not there is a connection between football and concussions.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Advertisement
I really haven't had a chance to look at the data to come to my own conclusion.

The only thing I will note, is that in any debate where science is involved, there a lot of people that think they understand what constitutes scientific proof, but they actually don't know. There's a specific set of stringent criteria in the scientific world that constitutes proof, that the average person has no earthly idea of, and therefore they come to conclusions that are erroneous.

If you don't understand what the following terms mean, thoroughly understand them, then don't fool yourself - you don't know what you're talking about. You must know what the scientific method is, what statistical validity is, things like p-values, the relationship and difference between correlation and causality, the use of randomized double blind trials, the validity of retrospective studies, the observer effect, etc etc.

If you don't know these things, and many others, then to put it bluntly, you don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back