OT: How do players learn the playbook?

astabooty

Redshirt Freshman
Last time I played football was 22 years ago on a JV squad. How are players doing it today? Do they still have to memorize the plays based off a paper print-outs or are they using some sort of technology?

Advertisement
Last time I played football was 22 years ago on a JV squad. How are players doing it today? Do they still have to memorize the plays based off a paper print-outs or are they using some sort of technology?
I'd imagine they have interactive tablets that break down the plays and highlights assignments based on their particular position.

Last edited:
Repetition, skull meetings with others teammates in your position, meetings with positions coaches.

You only get out of what you put in ,keeping in mind the playbook changes to the O or D before you.

A hundred plays can turn into 300 different versions depending on your reads.

Now a days there login links to playbooks , personally I feel more time should be spent on playbook studying and film skull drills.

Zach Thomas future HOF MLB:

“ The day I stop thinking is the day I’ll become unstoppable “

GOCANES

chris farley films GIF

Advertisement
I don’t think it’s important if it’s paper or if it’s a tablet. That’s kinda like reading a book. But it’s a good question as to how they approach learning it.

What a wild question LOL

Advertisement
They have iPads and booklets.

They used to get thick a$s playbooks that are broken down to every detail but nowadays I think everything is digital.

I used to print-out booklets for my kids but now I send it as a file that they can view on their devices.

Repetition, skull meetings with others teammates in your position, meetings with positions coaches.

You only get out of what you put in ,keeping in mind the playbook changes to the O or D before you.

A hundred plays can turn into 300 different versions depending on your reads.

Now a days there login links to playbooks , personally I feel more time should be spent on playbook studying and film skull drills.

Zach Thomas future HOF MLB:

“ The day I stop thinking is the day I’ll become unstoppable “

GOCANES
How do I get invited to some skull meetings, they sound badass.

iPads with the playbook and access to cut ups on it. Most coaches are terrible teachers and have no idea how to chunk information and don't realize you can't learn chit from sitting in a meeting room. Dub Maddox uses poker chips so at least while doing film/playbook meetings you can move things around for some tactile learning but in the end, you gotta get on the field.

I don’t think it’s important if it’s paper or if it’s a tablet. That’s kinda like reading a book. But it’s a good question as to how they approach learning it.
I think an tablet could have the advantage of being interactive and/or showing how a play evolves and variations to it based on the defense's actions, but I don't know how realistic it would be to put something like that together on the timelines/budget that would be needed.

Advertisement
Every player is given each play printed on a TOPS rolling paper. After the play has been studied over and over and over it will be used to roll a joint, Later, after dinner, the player(s) smoke said joint and go into a deep ganja dream. The play is imbedded in their brain(s). This process starts immediately after the current game they played up until the night before the next game. There are, after all, many plays.

Advertisement
Tarot cards, astrology, phlebotomy, trepanation. Many ways to skin a cat.

Advertisement
Back