OT: Great football quotes

Advertisement
"Winning is not a sometime thing, it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while . . . You do't do things right once in a while . . . You do them right all the time . . . Winning is habit." = V. Lombardi

and

"The achievements of an organization are the results of the effort of each individual . . . " - VL

"We will be perfect in every aspect of the game. You drop a pass, you run a mile. You miss a blocking assignment, you run a mile. You fumble the football, and I will break my foot off in your John Brown hind parts, and then you will run a mile. Perfection! Let's go to work!" ~ Herman Boone

Advertisement
From the John McKay Wikipedia page:

McKay became famous for many of his humorous answers during press conferences, for which Philadelphia Eagles coach **** Vermeil called him "Dial-a-Quote". His notable quips:

• Following the 51–0 loss to Notre Dame in 1966, "I told my team it doesn't matter. There are 750 million people in China who don't even know this game was played. The next day, a guy called me from China and asked, 'What happened, Coach?'"
  • "[Former Michigan State Coach] Duffy Daugherty always had a dog because he said,'When you come home after a defeat the dog will be your friend.' My wife had a dog and we got beat once by Notre Dame 51-0. I came home and it bit me."
  • Following a game in 1967 in which O. J. Simpson received over 30 hand offs, McKay was asked "Why are you giving the ball to Simpson so often?" He replied, "Why not? It's not heavy, and he doesn't belong to a union."
  • On recruiting his son, J.K., to play football at USC: "I had a rather distinct advantage. I slept with his mother."
  • After a series of questionable calls helped Notre Dame tie top-ranked USC in 1968, McKay was asked about the officiating. He answered "I'm not surprised. The referee is a fine Catholic fellow by the name of Patrick Murphy."
  • After the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' first unofficial game, he responded to a question, "Well, we didn't block, but we made up for it by not tackling."
  • When asked his opinion of the NFL, he said "I've seen what they do in the professional ranks and it's not anything different than what we do here." McKay also did not understand the huge amounts of drama the league built around games, stating "What's so different between losing in the NFL and losing in college? You win, you put a check mark next to the game on the schedule list, and when you lose, you put an X next to it."
  • Following a Buccaneer loss, McKay was asked, "What's it like in the professional ranks, coach? Anything special?" He replied, "No I was beat 51–0 in the college ranks. It's the same thing."
  • Standing on the sidelines during a game, McKay said, "Can't stop a pass, or a run...otherwise we're in great shape."
  • During a team meeting, McKay told his players that games are won and lost in "the trenches." He then spotted Howard Festsleeping in the back. McKay yelled, "FEST FEST, where are games won and lost?" Fest replied, "Right here with the Buccaneers coach."
  • Following a Buccaneers loss in their early seasons, McKay was asked what he thought of his team's "execution." He replied, "I'm in favor of it."
  • "Capece is kaput," referring to Buccaneers kicker Bill Capece after he missed game-winning field goal in the final game of the 1983 season.
  • After the Buccaneers won their first regular season game against the New Orleans Saintsduring the 1977 season 33–14, McKay mused, "Three or four plane crashes and we're in the playoffs."
  • After special teams failures caused a loss to the Minnesota Vikings instead of clinching first place in the NFC Central, McKay said "I'm sick and tired of people booing me. I wish they'd boo the people who can't block".
  • After receiving harsh criticism from the media about McKay's coaching skills in the NFL, McKay replies "You guys don't know the difference between a football and a bunch of bananas." In the next interview, members of the media left bananas for McKay. He then replied, "You guys don't know the difference between a football and a Mercedes Benz."

Advertisement
I HATE Lou Holtz but I must admit that this was good

“Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” — Lou Holtz,

From the John McKay Wikipedia page:

McKay became famous for many of his humorous answers during press conferences, for which Philadelphia Eagles coach **** Vermeil called him "Dial-a-Quote". His notable quips:

• Following the 51–0 loss to Notre Dame in 1966, "I told my team it doesn't matter. There are 750 million people in China who don't even know this game was played. The next day, a guy called me from China and asked, 'What happened, Coach?'"
  • "[Former Michigan State Coach] Duffy Daugherty always had a dog because he said,'When you come home after a defeat the dog will be your friend.' My wife had a dog and we got beat once by Notre Dame 51-0. I came home and it bit me."
  • Following a game in 1967 in which O. J. Simpson received over 30 hand offs, McKay was asked "Why are you giving the ball to Simpson so often?" He replied, "Why not? It's not heavy, and he doesn't belong to a union."
  • On recruiting his son, J.K., to play football at USC: "I had a rather distinct advantage. I slept with his mother."
  • After a series of questionable calls helped Notre Dame tie top-ranked USC in 1968, McKay was asked about the officiating. He answered "I'm not surprised. The referee is a fine Catholic fellow by the name of Patrick Murphy."
  • After the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' first unofficial game, he responded to a question, "Well, we didn't block, but we made up for it by not tackling."
  • When asked his opinion of the NFL, he said "I've seen what they do in the professional ranks and it's not anything different than what we do here." McKay also did not understand the huge amounts of drama the league built around games, stating "What's so different between losing in the NFL and losing in college? You win, you put a check mark next to the game on the schedule list, and when you lose, you put an X next to it."
  • Following a Buccaneer loss, McKay was asked, "What's it like in the professional ranks, coach? Anything special?" He replied, "No I was beat 51–0 in the college ranks. It's the same thing."
  • Standing on the sidelines during a game, McKay said, "Can't stop a pass, or a run...otherwise we're in great shape."
  • During a team meeting, McKay told his players that games are won and lost in "the trenches." He then spotted Howard Festsleeping in the back. McKay yelled, "FEST FEST, where are games won and lost?" Fest replied, "Right here with the Buccaneers coach."
  • Following a Buccaneers loss in their early seasons, McKay was asked what he thought of his team's "execution." He replied, "I'm in favor of it."
  • "Capece is kaput," referring to Buccaneers kicker Bill Capece after he missed game-winning field goal in the final game of the 1983 season.
  • After the Buccaneers won their first regular season game against the New Orleans Saintsduring the 1977 season 33–14, McKay mused, "Three or four plane crashes and we're in the playoffs."
  • After special teams failures caused a loss to the Minnesota Vikings instead of clinching first place in the NFC Central, McKay said "I'm sick and tired of people booing me. I wish they'd boo the people who can't block".
  • After receiving harsh criticism from the media about McKay's coaching skills in the NFL, McKay replies "You guys don't know the difference between a football and a bunch of bananas." In the next interview, members of the media left bananas for McKay. He then replied, "You guys don't know the difference between a football and a Mercedes Benz."
Some of those are great. The execution one is my favorite. LOL thanks for sharing

Advertisement
"This is Division I Football!..." more of a rant than a quote I suppose.

Last edited:
Advertisement
"How do you feel about the execution of your offense?"

"...I am all for it."

Coach McKay, Tampa Bay Bucs

---

"Maybe we should put dresses on quarterbacks."

- Jack Lambert, L.A. Raiders

---

"In the second half we got our *** totally kicked. I'm totally embarrased and totally ashamed. We didn't do...diddly..poo...offensively, we didn't get a first down, we didn't run the ball, we didn't try to run the ball, we couldn't complete a pass, it sucked. Players should be ashamed of themselves, staff should be ashamed of themselves, we sucked. I am totally embarrassed and totally ashamed."

-Jim Mora, New Orleans Saints

---

"I'm HURT Dawg, don't ask me if I'm all right, **** NAH."

Advertisement
Back