OT E$ECPN Schadenfreude Moment

I gotta watch PTI.

"Leonard Shapiro, Michael Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser on Sean Taylor (2007)
Washington Post sportswriters Leonard Shapiro, Michael Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser were quick to blame the victim after Sean Taylor was murdered in ’07.

After Taylor was murdered in his home in late 2007, Shapiro, Wilbon and Kornheiser went out of their way to pat themselves on the back for not being surprised. Shapiro: “Could anyone honestly say they never saw this coming? … Clearly, [Taylor] seemed to embrace the thug image on and off the field, and the fact that he rarely spoke to members of the media only enhanced his reputation as a moody, enigmatic athlete we hardly ever got to know” (msnbc.com, 11/27/07). If you “hardly ever” got to know him, then how exactly can you be ‘not surprised’ at his fate?

In a chat done after Taylor was shot, but before he died, Wilbon wrote that “There’s a ton of speculation about the details of his condition and the details of the incident, but this isn’t a blog and we’re not going to get into wild guessing and speculating here” (Washington Post, 11/26/07). He apparently forgot what he had just written, considering he then proceeded to condemn Taylor despite (admittedly) not knowing what he was talking about. Wilbon: “[T]his latest news isn’t surprising in the least, not to me. Whether this incident is or isn’t random, Taylor grew up in a violent world, embraced it, claimed it, loved to run in it and refused to divorce himself from it. … We have no idea what happened, or if what we know now will be revised later” (Washington Post, 11/26/07).

On Pardon the Interruption the night of Taylor’s death, Kornheiser brought up how his daughter teared up following the news of Taylor’s death, and lamented not being able to feel the same way. Kornheiser: “[Y]ou and I are cynical, and we’re cynical by trade. And we know that in the coming weeks, there’s going to be reporting in the Washington Post, and reporting in the Miami Herald, that’s going to peel away all the layers of this, and some of it is going to get very dicey.”

Overall, all three began speculating wildly about a player none of them knew. As it turns out, Taylor’s death was not the result of his lifestyle catching up with him."

Yeah, I will watch PTI when it is like one of those World of Tanks Super Bowl commercials...Love to see a M-4 Sherman tank blow through the set, it's hull mounted machine cutting them to ribbons, then watching its treads ground them into piles of goo...

Advertisement
Aren't they partnering w the ACC in a year or so where we'll have our own network?

The problem w ESPN is they got rid of all the credible folks. Now they have a bunch of honks who are trying to create schticks. Nothing news worthy, all homerism or hyperdramatic story lines.

They get stupider and harder to watch every year.

When I took a few days off on the holidays, I happened to watch a few minutes of First Take. Awful fake debating and unwatchable because of Max Kellerman's herpes mouth. Dude should only be on the radio.
LMAO! I thought I was the only one that noticed Kellerman's got that nasty herple derple mouth lol...

It's so distracting, he tries to hide it with his scruffy *** matted up beard, but it's still clear as day.

Last edited:
Advertisement
After Skip Bayless left First Take.. ESPN became dead to me.. I just listen to ESPN Radio because I like some of the guys on their.. really funny at times.

Advertisement
I thought I was the only one not into ESPN anymore.

Nah, it's the cool thing to say around here. I used to watch Sportscenter, but I just don't have enough time in the day anymore. When there's something people want to see, they tune in like any other channel on television. The masses clamor for an ESPN Game Day at our bigger matchups.

The internet has changed how people view sports information though. You used to have to watch SC, now you can find out sporting results with your phone immediately.

I just watch whatever interests me that comes on the channel. Sometimes it's on as background noise While I'm doing whatever.

The problem isn't necessarily ESPN, but the television contracts are getting out of control. They want to do it all, but there's not enough money to go around. My guess, television contracts are at or about their ceiling. The bubble will pop at some point.

Like everyhintg else in MSM ESPN is no longer relevant. Why do I need to wait until Sports Center to see highlights when there are a multitude of ways to watch them.

posted before reading IN's response

The problem with ESPN is that they subject their viewers to political propaganda instead of sticking to sports. Most people tune into sports to escape political discourse, not have progressive talking points shoved down their throat.

Advertisement
ESPN took a hard left at the worst possible moment. And sports in general is on a bubble, the ramifications of it popping will be fast, furious, and harsh.

ESPN sold their souls when they basically turned the best show "sports center " into an episode of TMZ. They hardly even show highlights anymore. I think they completely suck. My guess on the transgender comment was probably regarding to giving Jenner that award when there was a much more deserving winner who was a former soldier that became legless I believe. I would love to see that network fold. Something else would come up. Unfortunately Fox is just as stupid or they would have already stepped up. I just want the occasional story with highlights. Now I just go to YouTube to find highlights

Advertisement
Ill watch Lebartard on ESPN 2. He spends a lot of his time making fun of ESPN as a whole. It's funny and entertaining. But yeah ESPN is a joke now. Can not stand any of these sportscenters where they feature a person or 2. Can't stand NFL primetime anymore. CFB live sucks. It's bad.

Lebaturd sucks.

Advertisement
Back