OT: Devonta Freeman

All I'm saying man. Maybe DeVonte would've went somewhere else, regardless....but the problem has been either a) we misidentify who is really interested in us b) we totally ignore kids who want to be here that can actually play or c) we continue to recruit diamonds in the rough, b/c the staff is afraid to go toe to toe with other schools (hence the term, we only want kids who want to be here alias the 3 star kids who's best offer is North Texas)
Facts we are small fish and recruit scared....seems like we want the easy kids.

Advertisement
Crazy how people act like these kids ain't out for bags and sign wherever they can secure the biggest one. Especially when it's a program they KNOW where the ncaa won't be an issue.

Diaz did the same with LB crootin...
I don't understand how his recruiting at LB has not had everyone extremely concerned how he was gonna recruit overall. Given the hype the defense received under his watch, he greatly underachieved at recruiting LBs. Thank God Sam Brooks got injured and was overlooked last year by the other schools. The scary part is that we aren't really in bag season yet. Remember Golden was knocking classes out of the park at this time of the year, only to have his lunch taken and underwear pulled over his head come December. Im worried what December brings under this regime if we dont get on a roll here. Tony Perps already outlined it perfectly on here, the whole purpose of Manny was continuity and winning now, because if he can't win now he won't be able to BS recruit his way into good classes, and this will spiral out of control quickly.

Randy straight up didnt recruit him because he felt the following year he had Duke locked up and that is all he needed. Yes, that type of mentality was allowed to be a HC at Miami.

True. And I was rooting for Randy. He had Duke locked up and he felt the 2010 class backs with Storm Johnson, Eduardo Clements, Darion Hall was good enough then he had Duke for 2012. On top of that Lamar Miller and Mike James were productive young backs. Unfortunately, Storm transferred and had a great career at UCF, Clements career was marred with injuries and Hall didn’t accomplish much here at UM. He should of grabbed Freeman but to be fair Freeman was sitting behind Gainer at Central then he took off on another level his senior year.

Hindsight, we should of grabbed him. I remember watching a nationalized televised game with Central and saw Freeman subbed in for Gainer and thought he was more explosive. I was big on his first couple of years at FSU but he played a major role during their title season, plus he could catch and run.

Crazy how people act like these kids ain't out for bags and sign wherever they can secure the biggest one. Especially when it's a program they KNOW where the ncaa won't be an issue.

Freeman really blew up late. Jimbo offered him early and that was his biggest offer at the time. He committed before his senior year started. He was talented but at the time it was viewed as a gamble because he was still quiet on the recruiting front. Clemson wasn’t who they are now, had other backs locked up, and Auburn had their star in Tre Mason signed. I say all that to say, I don’t think Freeman was paid to commit with FSU. He commited June before his senior year and he wasn’t a star yet.

Advertisement
Freeman really blew up late. Jimbo offered him early and that was his biggest offer at the time. He committed before his senior year started. He was talented but at the time it was viewed as a gamble because he was still quiet on the recruiting front. Clemson wasn’t who they are now, had other backs locked up, and Auburn had their star in Tre Mason signed. I say all that to say, I don’t think Freeman was paid to commit with FSU. He commited June before his senior year and he wasn’t a star yet.

This. I don't think Freeman even started until his senior year. He camped at FSU the summer before his senior year, they liked him and he committed on the spot. He did interviews talking about wanting a Miami offer but it never came until Golden got the job. Too little too late by then.

You all don't remember the fact that Shannon refused to recruit any kid from Central, no matter who it was? One of the dumbest moves ever by a head coach. Literally one of the dumbest. We lost so many kids just because he had a vendetta.

Then I hope you remember the fact he would not recruit a CB or a LB under 6 feet.

So you had Ricardo Allen who was begging to be a Cane go to Purdue. All because he was under 6 feet tall. He absolutely balled out for Purdue, and guess what, he is starting for the Falcons. He should have been fired on this alone.

Then you had the kid that went to VT because he was under 6 feet, he balled out. He literally cried because UM would not offer him.

Then there was the LB from the Muck who was under 6 feet, and Shannon would not recruit him. He starred at OSU and then played for the Eagles.

Absolute and utter stupidity from Randy Shannon. How he still has a job at any level is beyond me. That is one stubborn ****.

Advertisement
This. I don't think Freeman even started until his senior year. He camped at FSU the summer before his senior year, they liked him and he committed on the spot. He did interviews talking about wanting a Miami offer but it never came until Golden got the job. Too little too late by then.

I remember it happened this way too. Jimbo saw him at a central practice and offered.

I'll never understand how coaches hundreds of miles away beat us to players.

We're experiencing the same chit w/ Parrish, as well. Again, the biggest problem I've seen w/ these staphs is their inability to play the game. I'm not talking about bag game, I'm talking about showing love. They put all their eggs in one basket, and then when that basket falters, they have zero recovery.
Man we fkn need Parrish or he’s gonna be a nightmare somewhere else.

Randy was on that bull**** not crooting guys from Central...Dude was a ******* loon man

Advertisement

Yea exactly. He was actually a late bloomer. I recall people being shocked at how early Jimbo extended him a legit offer. He backed it up with his play and had a monster senior year.

Well according to Him, Golden offered Him "extra benefits" to come here.

Haha Golden wasn’t paying no one. Golden probably used those exact words but just meant an extra cookie cake upon his visit. Freeman and Golden was thinking two different things. Off topic but I really felt Golden was the worst UM Coach in the since 79. However, he did go after Freeman but it was also during the RS fire where he didn’t have as much time to build a rapport with certain recruits.

Advertisement
Randy was on that bull**** not crooting guys from Central...Dude was a ******* loon man

I don’t think he was on BS. I would say Freeman was the first p5 type of recruit Central had in a long time before they started pumping out elite high school recruits. They had some great HS at that time but until Freeman that’s when the Cooks and Yearby’s started coming through. I recall Golden brought in Thomas Finnie. He was their best DB but he didn’t do much here. I remember them having Jeff Godfrey who was a great HS QB then played good at UCF before moving to WR. But he wasn’t a p5 QB.

You all don't remember the fact that Shannon refused to recruit any kid from Central, no matter who it was? One of the dumbest moves ever by a head coach. Literally one of the dumbest. We lost so many kids just because he had a vendetta.

Then I hope you remember the fact he would not recruit a CB or a LB under 6 feet.

So you had Ricardo Allen who was begging to be a Cane go to Purdue. All because he was under 6 feet tall. He absolutely balled out for Purdue, and guess what, he is starting for the Falcons. He should have been fired on this alone.

Then you had the kid that went to VT because he was under 6 feet, he balled out. He literally cried because UM would not offer him.

Then there was the LB from the Muck who was under 6 feet, and Shannon would not recruit him. He starred at OSU and then played for the Eagles.

Absolute and utter stupidity from Randy Shannon. How he still has a job at any level is beyond me. That is one stubborn ****.

Ricardo Allen was a huge mistake. I don’t recall the other two prospects though but Ricardo Allen should have been a cane. As far as Central, during that period Freeman was their best p5 prospect in a long time. I thought they had good HS players but very game changers until Freeman came along. He should’ve recruited Freeman. That 6ft DB thing always irked me with RS. Crazy thing is most schools recruit like that now which still irks me.

Randy messed up in his evals and salesmanship here, but don't believe every word Freeman says. If you take him at face value, you're gullible.

Advertisement
Back