OT/Darryl Williams

Advertisement
This guy seems to be a lost treasure as far as safeties go. We talk about the iconic Ed Reed and the late great Sean Taylor as we should but this guy imo is definitely top 5 in my era of watching Miami football. I remember reading an article(wish I could find but too long ago) where Jimmy wanted to draft him but was crushed the Bengals took him. This guy would have had a HOF career with the Cowboys or any of the good teams of the 90's

Great post and good respect being paid to one of the guys who came in and maintained and in some instances surpassed the standard. Definitely was one of our fastest safeties/players to come thru here, but more importantly was football fast. I remember when he made sure he tracked down Raghib Ismail when he tried and almost broke one, dw tapped em on the shoulder and was like nope nope, not today.

A pure athlete back there on the back-end!

Advertisement
Darryl Williams played at Miami 3 years and would have finished as 2x AA here had he chose to stick around for a senior season. He was on the same stratosphere as Reed as a UM player...unlike Reed, DW was in the pros after 3 years ( Reed wasn't doing that after 99 ).. Reed became a huge difference maker in his 4th yr at Miami and was on campus for 5 years.

Of course the NFL brings a different story - but like some I would have liked to have watched DW play for top tier org like SF. In fact DW was generally mocked to the 49ers with the 18th pick in the pre draft talk in 92.. but the 49ers went with tall Washington CB Dana Hall who they projected to safety. Its logical to say the DW profile would have illuminated more playing for them in the 90s.

Last edited:
One of my favorite canes. Dude had all the athletic qualities you'd want in a safety - great range, 200-210 pound hitman, outstanding speed (sub 4.4). Dude almost ran down rocket ismail as a true freshman from 10 yards back.

I dont think a lot of people realize how fast and physical DW was. I definitely put him in the class of both Ed and Shawn as far as UM carrers.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back