OT- Cryotherapy..anybody tried it

Texxcane

Redshirt Freshman
I've been hearing about this for a couple years now and have also done some reading on it, like anything there are pro's and con's. We just got our first one here in my city and i want to check it out, actually been dying to try it for 2 years now. I have had so many arthroscopic surgery's i'm looking for anything that may help, i figure what could it hurt right ? It is just unbelievable how they can drop your body temp to -150/-200 degrees and it dont freeze your organs, blood, etc even if it is for 3 minutes. For those that have not heard, basically you stand in a 3x3x7ft tall box with your head sticking out a hole in the top, they drop the temp to -150/-200 degrees for 3 minutes, then you get out and your done. Nearly all NFL teams have one on site, as well as the NBA, read yesterday that the TB Bucs were first team to employ 3 chambers in their facility, that article was 2 years old. I understand this causes all your blood to go to your core, then when you get out it flows back to your extremities and it is rejuvenated, something about the blood cells, tissue repair, etc I dont really understand it all. Ball players do it to heel much quicker, instead of the ole ice tub, also read where some x female athlete who is now 47 does one every morning and swears by it. First one in America was 2008 but they have been used in other countries since the 80's, American doctors wont sign off on it, one reason it took so long to get here, i imagine it hurts their pocket book so why would they, kinda like why it takes 10-15 years to get FDA approval on something in USA, even if it works. Anyway i thought some of you guys living in the big city's may have already tried it, its all the rage in LA, NY, etc. Btw our place has grand opening special for 2 weeks at 20.00 a pop. Another thought i have is to open up one of these spa's of my own, already have a commercial building to operate out of, does not require a licensed doctor, and the chamber is not that much. The closest one to me is Houston, in 2016/17 they did 52,520 at an average 50 a pop, 3 million bucks with very little overhead. We have some smart guys on here i know, much more so than I, give me some knowledge. Also, a worker cleaning up after hours at one of these thought he would check it out himself, got in there and somehow turned it on, well they found his *** froze solid the next morning when employees got there to open up, had to have been a Florida gator. Sorry if i was all over the place, lots goin through ole Duder's head, like Bunny Lebowski that hot bytch

Advertisement
I’ve used cryo a lot and it’s helped me out. It’s liquid nitrogen and the surrounding air gets that cold but not your body temperature itself. It penetrates the skin just a few millimeters. Basically it’s like taking an ice bath but quicker and they claim it’s more effective. New blood flow occurs during hours after treatment and aid in the healing process. I don’t know all of the science but it certainly helped my back and hamstrings feel better but you get better results with continued use.

I’ve used cryo a lot and it’s helped me out. It’s liquid nitrogen and the surrounding air gets that cold but not your body temperature itself. It penetrates the skin just a few millimeters. Basically it’s like taking an ice bath but quicker and they claim it’s more effective. New blood flow occurs during hours after treatment and aid in the healing process. I don’t know all of the science but it certainly helped my back and hamstrings feel better but you get better results with continued use.

Does it help fortify the crank region?

Advertisement
There is no real hard incontrovertible science backing the use of cryotherapy. By that I mean no double blind randomized clinical trials, which are the gold standard for any scientific proof in medicine. At best, the evidence is spotty and mixed.

But like young Mr. Penny, some swear by it.

I do think it helps very short term with pain and inflammation, just like having to endure the occasional ice dunk or RICE.

Here are a couple of well sourced articles to dig into:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...998289ffcea_story.html?utm_term=.7f93049a39ec

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jul/24/whole-body-cryotherapy-what-are-cold-facts

Advertisement
It reduces inflammation, I’ve heard it works. Haven’t tried myself.

I don’t think there’s any question it reduces inflammation. A bag of ice reduces inflammation too as you well know. Plus this draws blood away from the extremities to the central core in a sure fire hurry.

Put it this way, I’d use one after running a competitive 5k just for the calf pain and shin splints alone praying it would help.

Well gents, Tex had a go this morning, was not as cold as I thought it would be, but I had my game prep going and was mentally psyched. Felt really good after coming out, was not in great pain before so can't speak to that. Now 3 hrs later I can tell something is different just not sure what. I think like above poster said you prolly need to go a few times to really tell, for 20 bucks I can handle that just to form a educated opinion, definitely very cool though, lotto babes doing facials in there too so there's that

Last edited:
Advertisement
A place by my house back home had a monthly unlimited plan for about $100, so I would go every day. I wouldn't necessarily say that I think its more effective than just a normal icebath, but 3 minutes in cryo is a lot better than around 15 submerged in cold water. Also its nice that it gets everything from below the neck which is much harder to do in cold water.

Advertisement
Back