OT: Celebrations

Advertisement
Was just about to post this. Here's the 'Canes portion (lol we da bess):

Ah, yes, that: the key element to the success of any unhinged, thumbing-your-nose celebration. To underline the importance of that point, we go to the people who wrote the entire celebration personal foul section of the rulebook, the 1991 Miami Hurricanes.

"Yeah, that's on us," recalled Randall Hill, wide receiver for the Canes in the infamous 1991 Cotton Bowl vs. Texas. Hill and his teammates were angry about being outliers in the national championship discussion. That displeasure was worsened by what they felt were disrespectful comments from the Longhorns, with a fuse lit by the word "thugs." The fourth-ranked Canes proceeded to annihilate the third-ranked Horns 46-3. The score might have been 100-3, had Miami not incurred 202 yards via 15 penalties, nine of which were personal fouls. The most-remembered moment was Hill's third-quarter, 48-yard TD reception, after which he ran through the end zone and up into the Cotton Bowl tunnel, where he turned around and broke into a dance that included the drawing and firing of his imaginary six-shooters.

You know, like someone from Texas. On Monday in Austin, I asked some actual people from Texas about that game. All immediately turned red in the face ... and it wasn't because they were embarrassed. "If I saw that little jackass right now, I would throw this table at him," said Jim Bechtel, a gray-haired, sauce-covered patron at Ruby's BBQ. "It still makes me so **** mad."

Reminder: The game took place nearly 27 years ago.

When the NCAA rulebook introduced its "Excessive Celebration" penalty the following summer, the book came with a video to help coaches, teams and officials identify exactly what an excessive celebration looked like. What it looked like was Randall Hill in the Cotton Bowl.

"I don't think anyone would take any of that back," Hill recalled in 2009 while promoting the 30 for 30 film "The U." "But I think what we also taught everyone was if you're going to trick out your celebration, wait until after the game is over. They don't throw flags at you then."

It's true. They won't. But push it too far, and the opposing fans might throw something else at you.

The home crowd? They'll only throw laurels at your feet. Or at least hang a framed image of your celebration in their living room.

Rivalries are great for football and a lot of rivalries start b/c of teams' perceived disrespect.

I love excess celebration. If, as a fan, I'm on the other side of it, it creates this passion to beat the snot out of that other team. If I'm the team doing the celebrating, gives me the right to talk mad chit!

When FSU grabbed our field's soil and then buried it, I was ****ed and wanted to play them again, like next Saturday. What I saw from OSU last year, gathering on OU's 50 and singing their fight song, that ignited Mayfield to make sure he got an opportunity to repay them back, and that he did!

Tired of this baby chit mentality. ****, a lot of ppl started watching golf b/c of Tiger Woods b/c he wasn't so "gentlemanly" on the golf course. It lit a fire under other golfers to shut him up, and the game became more competitive and enjoyable to watch. Celebrations are good for sports; either imma tune in to boo you or imma tune in to root for you; either way, I'm tuning in.

Rivalries are great for football and a lot of rivalries start b/c of teams' perceived disrespect.

I love excess celebration. If, as a fan, I'm on the other side of it, it creates this passion to beat the snot out of that other team. If I'm the team doing the celebrating, gives me the right to talk mad chit!

When FSU grabbed our field's soil and then buried it, I was ****ed and wanted to play them again, like next Saturday. What I saw from OSU last year, gathering on OU's 50 and singing their fight song, that ignited Mayfield to make sure he got an opportunity to repay them back, and that he did!

Tired of this baby chit mentality. ****, a lot of ppl started watching golf b/c of Tiger Woods b/c he wasn't so "gentlemanly" on the golf course. It lit a fire under other golfers to shut him up, and the game became more competitive and enjoyable to watch. Celebrations are good for sports; either imma tune in to boo you or imma tune in to root for you; either way, I'm tuning in.

EXACTLY!!! +100000000

Advertisement
Hill remains my favorite all time Cane. He has two of my top three plays -- the one in the tunnel and 3rd and 43. Nothing tops the chicken that night in the OB but the tunnel comes close. They left out us stopping the OU chuck wagon in Norman under JJ. I know a bunch of OU alum and they hate us for that almost as much we we hate gators over the flop.

EXACTLY!!! +100000000

Amen. We are controlled by hordes of pantywaist little girls who think hurting feelings is the gravest sin possible. Clearly they never waded though rice paddies hunting bad *** dudes dressed in black pajamas looking to cut your privates off for fun. Small wonder Trump was able to run over everyone in 2016; once he hurt their feelings they never got over it and just stood around expecting an apology.

Advertisement
Back