NFL OT - Carolina Panthers trade for the #1 overall pick

Advertisement
Any chance the Lions take Richardson?
... is there any chance Richardson is there at 6? After the Panthers trade I'd say it's not looking likely. Jets look like they're getting Rodgers. Panthers, Texans, and Colts are definitely drafting QB. That leaves Raiders, Falcons, Titans, and Buccs as teams that all need a Qb, with basically 1 guy left... One of those teams will likely get Jimmy G taking them out of the race too... I mean sure its also entirely possible Lions trade up to 3, give up 6 and 18 and get 3 and the Cardinals 2nd or something....

I think there is a chance, they've had scouts at his games and met with him a couple times I believe. Don't think it would be smart though. Goff played very well last year, and is on a very team friendly contract for 2 more seasons. IF the Lions want to go all in on a Rookie QB, next year is the year to do it. In fact I'd actually say if Anderson and Carter are gone by 6, they should try to do what they can to move down a few spots and try to secure more draft capital next year (at the same time positioning themselves to get Witherspoon or Gonzalez with a more reasonable pick (early 10s instead of top 6 for CB 1 or 2).

... is there any chance Richardson is there at 6? After the Panthers trade I'd say it's not looking likely. Jets look like they're getting Rodgers. Panthers, Texans, and Colts are definitely drafting QB. That leaves Raiders, Falcons, Titans, and Buccs as teams that all need a Qb, with basically 1 guy left... One of those teams will likely get Jimmy G taking them out of the race too... I mean sure its also entirely possible Lions trade up to 3, give up 6 and 18 and get 3 and the Cardinals 2nd or something....

I think there is a chance, they've had scouts at his games and met with him a couple times I believe. Don't think it would be smart though. Goff played very well last year, and is on a very team friendly contract for 2 more seasons. IF the Lions want to go all in on a Rookie QB, next year is the year to do it. In fact I'd actually say if Anderson and Carter are gone by 6, they should try to do what they can to move down a few spots and try to secure more draft capital next year (at the same time positioning themselves to get Witherspoon or Gonzalez with a more reasonable pick (early 10s instead of top 6 for CB 1 or 2).
It sounds unlikely. I was hoping for some 313/248 tears on here for the entertainment but I can see our favorite Lions fan is likely not going to have to worry about it.

Advertisement

A smart move IMO would be for the team who drafts AR to ALSO sign Jimmy G to a favorable 1-2 year deal. AR is going to need a long-*** while to figure out how to not be a turnover machine, if he even ever gets there. Considering AR will be on a rookie deal, it's not unfeasible.

Advertisement
A smart move IMO would be for the team who drafts AR to ALSO sign Jimmy G to a favorable 1-2 year deal. AR is going to need a long-*** while to figure out how to not be a turnover machine, if he even ever gets there. Considering AR will be on a rookie deal, it's not unfeasible.
I see the Seahawks potentially taking a flyer on him at 6 with Geno locked up for the next few years. If I were them, I’d get a pass rusher and maybe grab Bennett or someone else later on in the draft, but that would be the best case for Richardson.

I know Seattle needs DL help the most and Carter would solve a lot of those issues I don't know that they want to take another risk of the McDowell debacle in the first round. They hope to never be picking this high again and may take Richardson to sit behind Geno for a year. They can get out of his big contract pretty easily after 1 year and especially after year 2 with very little dead cap money

honest question, why is it such a silly trade?

it's really

1 first round pick, 2 2nd's and dj moore for a franchise qb on a rookie deal

we had 2 second round picks anyways and dj moore albeit a loss, was very expensive and clears a ton of cap room

why is there such a narrative that they gave up a ton? people say 2 first round picks sure, but one of those was a swap so only 1 first rounder from '24 in addition + 2nd rounders this year (we had an extra one) and next year and a WR who is talented but proven to be useless without a proper qb (not to mention clears over 10 mil in cap space)

i think richardson is even worse than zach wilson, hopefully his combine results doesn't make fitterer go blind because i'd be ****ed if they choose him over stroud

Simple, because there is no clear franchise QB this year.

Simple, because there is no clear franchise QB this year.
They aren’t always clear and the “clear” ones have quite a high bust rate

Josh Allen, mahomes, Lamar Jackson all recent nfl picks who people thought weren’t “clear” franchise qbs

Advertisement
Advertisement

Josh Allen, mahomes, Lamar Jackson all recent nfl picks who people thought weren’t “clear” franchise qbs
This. Andrew Luck and Trevor Lawrence aren’t around every year.

Even then, Mahomes is leaps and bounds better than the other two.

Allen is very good, but his limits are being exposed.

Jackson had very productive years, and I'd take him in an instant, but defenses have adapted and he's banged up.

TLDR, a true franchise QB is exceedingly rare, and often fleeting even when you land one.

Advertisement
Back