NFL OT - Carolina Panthers trade for the #1 overall pick

Advertisement
That would basically be the same as paying him ~2 yr $40M/yr deal btw.
I don’t see an issue with this - Daniel Jones is making $40 mil a year and it’s better than giving him $200mil plus gtd contract. He had ran the ball over 700 times. He has lots of wear and tear and I honestly think he has only 2-4 solid years left.

He won’t be tagged again though & he won’t sign it.

They’re going to mutually part ways next year if they can’t get a deal done before the season starts.
Ravens are not going to let him go for nothing next year.

Advertisement
The difference to me is Richardson’s athletic upside; Levis is a solid runner as well, but he’s more of a traditional under center style QB & IMO has a lower ceiling. He’s basically like Daniel Jones, can possibly develop into a good game manager who if he just doesn’t turn the ball over won’t kill you.

I think everything with Richardson is all about where he goes & who he’s paired with from a Coaching standpoint.
Let’s be real on Richardson, it’s going to be nearly impossible to get an objective opinion on him around here because of where he went to school.

Advertisement
You a Lions fan? Lions need Jalen Carter far more than Will Anderson imo. I think ideally they get Carter, then one of Witherspoon, Gonzalez, or Porter fall to 18. If that happens and the Rams trade ended up being Stafford for Goff, Jameson Williams, and Jalen Carter, that would be an elite return. Obviously at the end of the day the Rams won the trade because they ended up winning a SB, even if now Stafford is falling apart due to injury. But Lions also absolutely won the trade too.
Yea Detroit over everything. I agree Carter is a bigger need but I don't trust him in the league. Money typically doesn't change you for the better and he's already a loose cannon. I'd hate to be the GM that decides to take that risk.

QB class will be better next year. If Fields looks the same they can reset with one of the two top 10 picks they have next year.
Don’t understand why people don’t see this. Build the team around Fields. They have all the resources to do this now. If he doesn’t succeed with an actual team around him (for the first time), draft a better QB next year. Either way, the Bears are about to go on a decade-long run!

Don’t understand why people don’t see this. Build the team around Fields. They have all the resources to do this now. If he doesn’t succeed with an actual team around him (for the first time), draft a better QB next year. Either way, the Bears are about to go on a decade-long run!
Let's not get crazy, Bears will still **** this up.

Advertisement
Let's not get crazy, Bears will still **** this up.
Diehard Bears fan here. Based on history? Ya we probably will **** it up somehow. But for the first time in just about my entire life we have some confidence in our leadership. Poles has came in and rooted this thing up by making the necessary moves. Some that meatball fans haven’t been happy with. But so much of what he’s already done is just not typical “bears” moves and it’s incredibly refreshing.

I know no true Bears fans that aren’t in support of building around Fields. Is he a lights out thrower? No, he has to develop 100%. But there’s no doubt he’s also had almost zero supporting cast around him. If we bring guys in for him and it still doesn’t work out, I won’t be mad at management. Grabbing him in the draft and setting him up for possible success was/is a no brainer. If after all that he still fails, I trust Poles to course correct, which feels weird when saying.

Somebody alluded to it earlier but we have two first rounders next year, one of which is the Panthers and could very well be a top 10 pick. Poles made a great move for the here and now while buying us some insurance for the future if need be.

Diehard Bears fan here. Based on history? Ya we probably will **** it up somehow. But for the first time in just about my entire life we have some confidence in our leadership. Poles has came in and rooted this thing up by making the necessary moves. Some that meatball fans haven’t been happy with. But so much of what he’s already done is just not typical “bears” moves and it’s incredibly refreshing.

I know no true Bears fans that aren’t in support of building around Fields. Is he a lights out thrower? No, he has to develop 100%. But there’s no doubt he’s also had almost zero supporting cast around him. If we bring guys in for him and it still doesn’t work out, I won’t be mad at management. Grabbing him in the draft and setting him up for possible success was/is a no brainer. If after all that he still fails, I trust Poles to course correct, which feels weird when saying.

Somebody alluded to it earlier but we have two first rounders next year, one of which is the Panthers and could very well be a top 10 pick. Poles made a great move for the here and now while buying us some insurance for the future if need be.
The trade was no doubt a win for Bears. As a lifelong Lions fan I'm hoping you guys **** this draft up.

Was Poles responsible for trading a 2nd rounder for Chase Claypool? Cause that was beyond dumb and reason enough to not trust him.

I like this trade for the Bears though. I do wonder if they could have gotten more had they held out a little longer though. Getting DJ Moore is really what makes this a good trade though tbh. Also idk why the Panthers would prefer to trade Dj Moore rather than a 1st three years from now... Like That just seems dumb af. I MUCH rather have Moore to help my rookie QB I'm drafting than a 1st three years from now. So I have no idea what the **** the Panthers were thinking there....

Advertisement
Was Poles responsible for trading a 2nd rounder for Chase Claypool? Cause that was beyond dumb and reason enough to not trust him.

I like this trade for the Bears though. I do wonder if they could have gotten more had they held out a little longer though. Getting DJ Moore is really what makes this a good trade though tbh. Also idk why the Panthers would prefer to trade Dj Moore rather than a 1st three years from now... Like That just seems dumb af. I MUCH rather have Moore to help my rookie QB I'm drafting than a 1st three years from now. So I have no idea what the **** the Panthers were thinking there....
Personally, I think it’s too early to write that trade off. But I understand if people think it’s a lost cause.

The word in Chicago sports media is the Panthers were really pushing another first rounder instead but Poles basically told them DJ Moore or no deal and wasn’t budging.

The only move that would have been better was trading back to #2, and then back to #4, and securing a ****load of picks while still drafting Jalen Carter. But his arrest ruined that. Getting a top ten pick next year, a top wide receiver in the league for many years, plus additional draft picks, to move down 8 spots is as good as anyone can expect.

****, they may still get Carter at #9, if Poles can talk some sense into the risk-averse McCaskeys.

The only move that would have been better was trading back to #2, and then back to #4, and securing a ****load of picks while still drafting Jalen Carter. But his arrest ruined that. Getting a top ten pick next year, a top wide receiver in the league for many years, plus additional draft picks, to move down 8 spots is as good as anyone can expect.

****, they may still get Carter at #9, if Poles can talk some sense into the risk-averse McCaskeys.
If Carter fell past the Lions that would be dumb imo.

At the end of the day the current legal situation with Carter is 2 misdemeanors - Speeding and Reckless Driving. And otherwise he has a clean record.

Advertisement
Back