OT: Caitlin Clark

RBradleigh

Sophomore
Premium
JFC she is the truth! She has me watching Women’s basketball right and I’m impressed. If you haven’t watched yourself, do it and then read the accolades before dismissing.

18pts in the opening quarter and she distributes the ball as a PG.

Advertisement
JFC she is the truth! She has me watching Women’s basketball right and I’m impressed. If you haven’t watched yourself, do it and then read the accolades before dismissing.

18pts in the opening quarter and she distributes the ball as a PG.
Problem is she distributes to teammates cutting to the hoop who can't score effciently against that huge Gamecock front line. Their shots are blocked or altered.

Problem is she distributes to teammates cutting to the hoop who can't score effciently against that huge Gamecock front line. Their shots are blocked or altered.
She had to be much better from the field this afternoon. South Carolina did everything they could to slow her down.

Watching the whole game I wouldn’t take slight at “tarnishes her legacy not winning a championship.” As Hotshot correctly pointed out, that SC size down low couldn’t be handled. SC a better all around team, no shame on that.

She can shoot and is a good passer. That said, her handle is suspect as ****, and she struggles against athletic defenders. We've seen two athletic, physical defenders put her in jail the last two games. Guess what she's going to deal with in the WNBA? Exactly. The days of her spending most of the year lighting up girls that wouldn't be starters in the SEC or ACC are over. She will be a dynamite player at the next level, but people also need to remember that unlike the NBA, Caitlin won't be able to do Steph Curry crap, because they still allow defense in the W.

Advertisement
She can shoot and is a good passer. That said, her handle is suspect as ****, and she struggles against athletic defenders. We've seen two athletic, physical defenders put her in jail the last two games. Guess what she's going to deal with in the WNBA? Exactly. The days of her spending most of the year lighting up girls that wouldn't be starters in the SEC or ACC are over. She will be a dynamite player at the next level, but people also need to remember that unlike the NBA, Caitlin won't be able to do Steph Curry crap, because they still allow defense in the W.
My lord you are that guy. If this were the Canes you’d be moping all game how she’s getting murdered out there and the refs are turning a blind eye.
And her “ “ handle is better than anything on current Canes squad. At the WNBA level those crisp passes to teammates cutting to the basket will result in 2 instead of blocks/Benz bricks at the rim

I’ve barely watched anything but thought her ball handling was TO waiting happen what I saw vs LSU. On the other hand, the way the USCw freshman controlled the ball was impressive in the loss I saw.

Advertisement
My lord you are that guy. If this were the Canes you’d be moping all game how she’s getting murdered out there and the refs are turning a blind eye.
And her “ “ handle is better than anything on current Canes squad. At the WNBA level those crisp passes to teammates cutting to the basket will result in 2 instead of blocks/Benz bricks at the rim
And THIS is what happens when people that haven't watched a minute of women's college basketball or WNBA in their entire lives before last spring start flapping their gums. Guess what? A lot of the things Caitlin does that she gets away with at the college level won't fly in the W. In other words, those touch fouls she got called in her favor today, when people were like "Where's the foul"? They don't call those in the W, it's always been a more physical league, in regards to what is allowed. It's been a more physical league than the NBA(In regards to how it is refereed) for decades. I never said she couldn't play, I took great pains to point out that she will be dynamite(Shooting tends to translate well, and barring her having some kind of insane injury that saps her athletic ability, she should be at worst an extremely dangerous volume scorer).

That said, the cultists that think that she is going to come in and immediately dominate, are unrealistic and honestly, are showing their ignorance about the WNBA. Caitlin, if she is going to be what people think she is going to be has to be a better driver of the basketball(Be able to get separation without consistently pushing off or chicken winging people), shot selection has to improve and honestly, her handle has to tighten up. Raven had her flustered for the final 3 quarters, she was getting deflections almost at will. Her handle is loose, it is what it is, and honestly, I don't think teams in the B1G were talented or athletic enough to make her pay for it. We saw the same thing against UConn and WVU. Teams that can throw athletic, quick guards at her and get in her face, that's when she had problems on the handle.

Yes, she can make passes, there won't be nearly as many free runners at the next level, and she will be making passes into even tighter windows, due to the increase in athleticism. In college, she didn't see teams like South Carolina often, the B1G has relied on bulk for **** near ever. When someone like Stuelke dove to the rim, it was very rare that there was anyone to affect the pass usually because 1)Hannah was the open person due to a double coming for Cait and 2)Most teams Iowa faced didn't have anyone that could cover that ground and force the issue. A classic case of how athleticism can affect passes happened today. Cait thought she had a gimmie layup by throwing one to Affolter in transition, SC had someone come out of nowhere to deflect the pass. That window closed extremely fast and Clark reacted on screen. You could see her think "Where did she come from". She's going to see that in the WNBA a lot more often. I look at a team like Las Vegas, where you have athletes all over the place, and that's just at the upper end. Due to the lack of teams, you have deep squads all over the place, it's akin to what you'd see in the NBA if you got rid of 5 teams.

Advertisement
I’ve barely watched anything but thought her ball handling was TO waiting happen what I saw vs LSU. On the other hand, the way the USCw freshman controlled the ball was impressive in the loss I saw.
Clark's handle is outside of her terrible defense, the weakest part of her game. It's loose, period. The problem is that in college, there are very few teams that could punish her for that handle.

And THIS is what happens when people that haven't watched a minute of women's college basketball or WNBA in their entire lives before last spring start flapping their gums. Guess what? A lot of the things Caitlin does that she gets away with at the college level won't fly in the W. In other words, those touch fouls she got called in her favor today, when people were like "Where's the foul"? They don't call those in the W, it's always been a more physical league, in regards to what is allowed. It's been a more physical league than the NBA(In regards to how it is refereed) for decades. I never said she couldn't play, I took great pains to point out that she will be dynamite(Shooting tends to translate well, and barring her having some kind of insane injury that saps her athletic ability, she should be at worst an extremely dangerous volume scorer).

That said, the cultists that think that she is going to come in and immediately dominate, are unrealistic and honestly, are showing their ignorance about the WNBA. Caitlin, if she is going to be what people think she is going to be has to be a better driver of the basketball(Be able to get separation without consistently pushing off or chicken winging people), shot selection has to improve and honestly, her handle has to tighten up. Raven had her flustered for the final 3 quarters, she was getting deflections almost at will. Her handle is loose, it is what it is, and honestly, I don't think teams in the B1G were talented or athletic enough to make her pay for it. We saw the same thing against UConn and WVU. Teams that can throw athletic, quick guards at her and get in her face, that's when she had problems on the handle.

Yes, she can make passes, there won't be nearly as many free runners at the next level, and she will be making passes into even tighter windows, due to the increase in athleticism. In college, she didn't see teams like South Carolina often, the B1G has relied on bulk for **** near ever. When someone like Stuelke dove to the rim, it was very rare that there was anyone to affect the pass usually because 1)Hannah was the open person due to a double coming for Cait and 2)Most teams Iowa faced didn't have anyone that could cover that ground and force the issue. A classic case of how athleticism can affect passes happened today. Cait thought she had a gimmie layup by throwing one to Affolter in transition, SC had someone come out of nowhere to deflect the pass. That window closed extremely fast and Clark reacted on screen. You could see her think "Where did she come from". She's going to see that in the WNBA a lot more often. I look at a team like Las Vegas, where you have athletes all over the place, and that's just at the upper end. Due to the lack of teams, you have deep squads all over the place, it's akin to what you'd see in the NBA if you got rid of 5 teams.
Lol, I'm not going to act like I watch the WNBA, cause I don't. But the other day I was watching this segment on Sportscenter where they were talking with Diana Taurasi about why there isn't a drop-off when star college players get to the WNBA like there usually is in the NBA. If you look at the majority of 1st selections in the draft they end up dominating from year 1. They were asking if it was a good thing or bad thing for the league.

Breanna Stewart averaged 17 ppg and 8 rebounds at uconn. Her rookie year She averaged 18 ppg and 9 rebounds. Aja wilson averaged 17 ppg and 9 rebounds in south Carolina and averaged 21 ppg and 8 rebounds her rookie season. Sabrina a shooter like Caitlin averaged 18 points in college and averaged 18 points in the 3 games she played her rookie season, had a tough 2nd year but is back up to 18 points the past 2 years.

So what makes you think Caitlin will have a hard time? She is a shooter and a passer. It would be harder for a Breanna or Aja to dominate since one of there benefits is how much bigger than are than the average person in college. Caitlins ability to shoot from anywhere will be more than fine. She scored 30 points against this so called lock down defense and 18 in the first quarter. People won't even be able to play her so tough cause in the WNBA those passes will turn to assists. She doesn't have the handles of Steph Curry or NBA players, noone does in the WNBA.

Advertisement
Lol, I'm not going to act like I watch the WNBA, cause I don't. But the other day I was watching this segment on Sportscenter where they were talking with Diana Taurasi about why there isn't a drop-off when star college players get to the WNBA like there usually is in the NBA. If you look at the majority of 1st selections in the draft they end up dominating from year 1. They were asking if it was a good thing or bad thing for the league.

Breanna Stewart averaged 17 ppg and 8 rebounds at uconn. Her rookie year She averaged 18 ppg and 9 rebounds. Aja wilson averaged 17 ppg and 9 rebounds in south Carolina and averaged 21 ppg and 8 rebounds her rookie season. Sabrina a shooter like Caitlin averaged 18 points in college and averaged 18 points in the 3 games she played her rookie season, had a tough 2nd year but is back up to 18 points the past 2 years.

So what makes you think Caitlin will have a hard time? She is a shooter and a passer. It would be harder for a Breanna or Aja to dominate since one of there benefits is how much bigger than are than the average person in college. Caitlins ability to shoot from anywhere will be more than fine. She scored 30 points against this so called lock down defense and 18 in the first quarter. People won't even be able to play her so tough cause in the WNBA those passes will turn to assists. She doesn't have the handles of Steph Curry or NBA players, noone does in the WNBA.

Breanna Stewart is a unique physical specimen that is a multi level scorer, she's basically a female version of Kevin Durant. Aja is unique as well, she's a dominant player on both ends, she's one of the few that can win games without scoring, just from her defensive impact. Look at Kelsey Plum, who would be extremely similar to Cait, except that Kels can't shoot like Clark. Her adjustment was far tougher, mostly because ball dominant guards aren't nearly as dominant at the WNBA level as they are at the collegiate level.

Also keep in mind, defensively, Clark is mediocre at best. They are going to make her work in the W on that end, something that will likely wear her down on the offensive end. That's why efficiency matters more, because you aren't going to be fresh as a daisy jacking up logo threes. Being able to take advantage of open lanes and finishing will help, she also has to be a more efficient scorer in the midrange, develop a nice runner, because that shot will be there from people closing out very strong.

By the way, no one is asking her to have Steph's handle, I'm not even asking her to have Dawn Staley's handle, just have a handle that isn't a walking TO. Again, no one is saying that she can't play, I took great pains to note that she's going to be a dynamite player, her floor is higher than **** near any other prospect I've seen in my 20 years of watching WNBA basketball. I know that in this world of "If you don't think Clark is the best player anyone has ever seen, EVER, you are a hater", that honest analysis is a problem, but come on. There are obvious issues in her game, especially when one looks at how the WNBA operates. She's going to be a star, but if you expect her to be the Lebron/Jordan of the women's game, she's going to have to develop some additional skills. Nothing wrong with that, Jordan couldn't go left or shoot when he first hit the league.

Advertisement
Back