OT - but this is still amazing and awe-inspiring - bridge to Sanibel

I should also add that if I was picking an ocean spot east coast or gulf, Maine would be in consideration, but I really really love the Outer Banks of NC. Specifically Buxton and Salvo. They have runover and washed out roads multiple times a year which is a big inconvenience. Homes all need to be on stilts, but now or even 10 to 20 years down the road, the right set of storms and your home is in jeopardy. Winter is solitude and summer the islands come alive.
 
Yeah ... but there IS a point ... how the heck can you even consider rebuilding anything on those "barrier islands" ( aka sandbars) with anybody providing insurance? It is a guaranteed loss ... anything built there will be wiped out ... again .... soon.
they're not getting insured unless they buy Chubb or some ridiculously high premium policy and even then its best bet. the private insurance market is basically gone (the most recent movers were Fed Nat the day before Ian struck) with everyone getting turned over to Citizens. combine that w insurance companies forcing complete pool renovations and reroofs out of pocket to even obtain insurance now (roofs over 10 years are being required to be replaced out of pocket even tho most roofs have a 20-25 year life span barring major weather events). the whole state sucks *** and I beg everyone to sell and move the **** out of this **** hole before the entire insurance industry collapses and the companies can't cover anyones claims.
 
I'm close to the Gulf...One of the main reasons I bought a Condo vs a Home...the Condo Association pays for the flood insurance. No way on earth would I purchase a home within 2 miles of the Gulf.
you in bonita springs right? I worked out there for a few months (office was in a complex right across the fresh market on tamiami)
 
ah ok. yeah the entire region is nice. terrible what happened there.
Was hit hard...I'm very fortunate to be living on the 2nd floor. The Condo owners below suffered major flooding issues...They're just now re-planting shrubbery and trees outside.
I'm sure my Association Dues will go up eventually though.
 
Barrier islands are just that. Build at your peril and GTFO if a hurricane is coming. I rebuilt a house on Garcon Beach near Pensacola when hurricane Dennis hit and then Ivan 2 months later. One kicked their butt and the second finished them off. The house I worked on was on the East Bay, not even on the beach, and was about 2 feet above high sea level to slab with 8' pilings and 2' floor joists. A wood piling went through the seaward side of the house 6' up on the main living floor. That's how high water got. Trust me when I say I know what these folks are in for over the next 2 years. Our state government seems to be on it thank goodness. (not political) Prayers up for all those effected.
 
Back
Top