OT Bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Not a slow starter compared to my old ***, but he was often behind at 50m only to crush his elite competitors the last 50.

He was never behind at 50m, he just didn't pull away until then. It's possible that he's in 5th place at 20m, but at no time is he a full meter from the lead. Go watch Carl Lewis, now he was a slow starter.

He was never behind at 50m, he just didn't pull away until then. It's possible that he's in 5th place at 20m, but at no time is he a full meter from the lead. Go watch Carl Lewis, now he was a slow starter.

We're saying about the same thing. 👍

I had a mountain lion run right in front of me many years ago. It stopped on a dime and changed directions back to where it had come from. It never missed a beat and was back to full speed in a step or two. I literally sat there and thought to myself that what I had just witnessed was the most athletic thing I had ever seen. The next thing I thought about was Barry Sanders. Unbelievable change of direction guy.

That reminds me of a little event I had with a grizzly in Montana about 35 years ago. My guide said I ran about 6 second 100 and was execellerating as I ran by. Not sure about wind assist but the explotion out my rear sure helped and going drown steep slope didn’t hurt. Not sure how fast a grizzly can run but the site of one standing up sure is motivating.

That reminds me of a little event I had with a grizzly in Montana about 35 years ago. My guide said I ran about 6 second 100 and was execellerating as I ran by. Not sure about wind assist but the explotion out my rear sure helped and going drown steep slope didn’t hurt. Not sure how fast a grizzly can run but the site of one standing up sure is motivating.
If you have seen a grizzley in the wild, you’ve seen them run I would expect. It actually violates your sensibilities to watch. Your eyes and brain cannot process something so big and lumbering moving that fast. A grizzley can outrun a horse over a short distance. Watched some bolt in Alaska and just couldnt be.ieve how fast they can move.

Advertisement
If you have seen a grizzley in the wild, you’ve seen them run I would expect. It actually violates your sensibilities to watch. Your eyes and brain cannot process something so big and lumbering moving that fast. A grizzley can outrun a horse over a short distance. Watched some bolt in Alaska and just couldnt be.ieve how fast they can move.

Oh yeah, but he didn’t have a chance of catching me. The path behind me was very slippery, if you catch my drift. Plus once I passed the guide it was the old you only have run faster than one other sucker. Acutually, the scream I let out probably scared the poor guy to death. Still, had he chased me I doubt I would be here today because as you say over short distance they are hard to beat.

Darrell Green was faster/quicker than Bo.

“Quicker” than every football player ever? Barry Sanders (and now I stick my fingers in my ears and make noises to drown out everything else).
Green was a bad MF still probably run a 4.3 jesus

Count me as unimpressed. Bolt had to be begged to continue after 2016 and was nearly .40 off his best time ever in a year where injuries plagued his preparation. Hardly awesome or glorious, to me. The real helluva race was 2015 when Bolt returned to Beijing and beat Gatlin.

GOAT = BOLT

Correct. Gatlin was dominant throughout 2015 while Bolt was nicked and struggling. Consequently Usain Bolt was a big underdog for the only time in his career. Gatlin was more than a 2/1 favorite in that 100 final. I think the final price was -240 or thereabouts.

Bolt frankly needed a bit of help. I was sure he'd outdo his prior 2015 form but if Gatlin ran his typical race from that summer then Bolt would be a narrow loser. Gatlin was running in the 9.7s often.

Fortunately Gatlin tightened up and choked just enough for Bolt to nip him. And it was glorious because you could see it unfolding throughout the race.

That result was exponentially more significant than 2017 because it put doubt in Gatlin's mind and Bolt's confidence surged. I was certain that Bolt essentially won 2016 as well as 2015 that afternoon. Gatlin was several years older and wouldn't be able to duplicate his 2015 form.

Bolt should have quit after 2016 but his sponsor pressured him to continue. Note that he didn't contest the 200 in 2017 because he didn't want to put in the extra training the longer distance required, even though Bolt always had more margin for error at 200 than 100.

BTW, Bolt actually lost his final three races. He pulled up during the final leg of the 400 relay. That's the only race I can fault him for in that world championships. He was going to lose badly and didn't want to go out that way. So he started limping around. It kind of reminded me of Michael Johnson doing the limp once obviously trounced by Donovan Bailey at the compromise distance of 150 meters.

Advertisement
Bo could turn a corner and vanish like no one I have ever seen on a football field. He played a handfull of seasons and as of the last time I checked, was still the only person with 2 runs of >90 yards from scrimmage. He could just disappear. Not the best RB, though I would have loved to see him have a full career. But zero to full speed, no one did better.

Best post-Payton RB not named Sanders I have seen is Marshal Faulk. Not sure I would take anyone over him. He could line up at WR and be the best WR on the field also.
Yet, when Indy parted ways with Marshall … they got the only back that could’ve replaced him. (I will not insult your intelligence by naming him).

Bolt is the faster man ever, so nothing surprising here. If he were ylu;ger, training for it and in spikes he shatters the mark.

Still, imo Bo had the best first 10-20 yards of anyone Inhave ever seen on a football field.

Nope. Jessie Owens is the fastest man ever recorded.

Bolt was actually ahead the entire race. He was fastest to 20m, fastest to 40m, fastest to 60m … even with the 6th fastest reaction time. His splits from the semifinal also were the best.

…. That's the only race I can fault him for in that world championships. He was going to lose badly and didn't want to go out that way. So he started limping around. It kind of reminded me of Michael Johnson doing the limp once obviously trounced by Donovan Bailey at the compromise distance of 150 meters.
That’s incorrect. He sustained a legitimate injury … a grade 4 tear trying to run faster than his body was prepared to go. Johnson … probably sketchy. Lewis notorious for stepping into the infield if his relay team couldn’t win.

Nope. Jessie Owens is the fastest man ever recorded.

Uhm, uh, nah.

Advertisement
Green was a bad MF still probably run a 4.3 jesus

Bolt was actually ahead the entire race. He was fastest to 20m, fastest to 40m, fastest to 60m … even with the 6th fastest reaction time. His splits from the semifinal also were the best.

That’s incorrect. He sustained a legitimate injury … a grade 4 tear trying to run faster than his body was prepared to go. Johnson … probably sketchy. Lewis notorious for stepping into the infield if his relay team couldn’t win.

Uhm, uh, nah.

Owens ran a 10.2 on cinders (I.e., ashes from burnt wood) starting from holes he dug out for his feet using spikes that were probably slower to run in than an everyday running shoe of today.

I couldn’t find it, but I’m pretty sure a study was done to compare how Bolt would have performed under similar circumstances, and his times were predicted to be much slower.

The 100m dash record hasn’t been going down because people have been getting faster since Owens’ time. It’s been dropping because of improvements in technology (I.e., running surfaces, shoes, clothing, starting blocks, etc.).

Owens ran a 10.2 on cinders (I.e., ashes from burnt wood) starting from holes he dug out for his feet using spikes that were probably slower to run in than an everyday running shoe of today.

I couldn’t find it, but I’m pretty sure a study was done to compare how Bolt would have performed under similar circumstances, and his times were predicted to be much slower.

The 100m dash record hasn’t been going down because people have been getting faster since Owens’ time. It’s been dropping because of improvements in technology (I.e., running surfaces, shoes, clothing, starting blocks, etc.).
Had you said Bullet Bob Hayes you might have an argument, but to go back to Owens is too far of a mental leap for the jumpiest of historical sprint aficionados.

Eulace Peacock was a very good contemporary and rival for Jesse Owens for comparison, they would want no part of Usain Bolt.

Advertisement
Had you said Bullet Bob Hayes you might have an argument, but to go back to Owens is too far of a mental leap for the jumpiest of historical sprint aficionados.

Eulace Peacock was a very good contemporary and rival for Jesse Owens for comparison, they would want no part of Usain Bolt.

Sorry, but Jesse Owens was a freak of nature and Bolt wouldn’t have even broken 10.5 in the conditions Owens ran in.

Coleman is the WR holder at 60m with a time of 6.34 (2018). He broke Maurice Green’s WR (1998) at 60m by .05.

Bolt’s fastest 60m (which was on the way to his 9.58) is 6.31. He wasn’t a consistent starter but when he nailed it, he was better than anyone else at the start as well.

In case anyone is interested in a detailed analysis of Bolt's 9.58 and how it compared to Chris Johnson's record 4.24...(at the time) ...

Justin Gatlin sent him home a loser his final race. Was glorious. Merica

Justin Gatlin is a ******* loser who played second fiddle to Bolt his entire career. GTFO. No chance he even comes close to a healthy Usain Bolt. No comparison to ANY American sprinter ever. Bolt is the fastest of all time and that is fact.

Now that's glorious. Jamaica.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back