OT - ANY DOCTORS IN HERE (CHRONIC PAIN/FIBROMYALGIA)

marshallrc13

Senior
Real talk... Anyone in here that works in the medical profession and deal with the subject? Need some serious help/info! Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
If I am being honest, medical professionals tend to be suspicious of fibromyalgia as a diagnosis. They won't doubt you are in pain, maybe just why you are in it. It is a nebulous diagnosis. While I am not a doctor, when I encounter patients with the diagnosis of fibromyalgia, they also tend to have multiple allergies to drugs (which tend to be side affects and not allergies) and some history of anxiety. The patients tend to be talkers. Perhaps they feel no one is listening.

Talk to your Dr., as you are going to encounter a ton of sarcasm here. I would seek out a subreddit for it.

If I am being honest, medical professionals tend to be suspicious of fibromyalgia as a diagnosis. They won't doubt you are in pain, maybe just why you are in it. It is a nebulous diagnosis. While I am not a doctor, when I encounter patients with the diagnosis of fibromyalgia, they also tend to have multiple allergies to drugs (which tend to be side affects and not allergies) and some history of anxiety. The patients tend to be talkers. Perhaps they feel no one is listening.

Talk to your Dr., as you are going to encounter a ton of sarcasm here. I would seek out a subreddit for it.

Thanks for the response. It's for my wife and she is having a really difficult time dealing with it. She went from this hard working always on the go tough chic to someone who is in constant pain and just wants to lay in bed. Being retired military we have military doctors so we don't always get the BEST care if you know what I mean. They put her on Lyrica and she is having all the side affects you see on tv but not receiving any of the benefits. She is totally a different person. Kinda scares me!!!

I know this is a football board but so I apologize, but you never know who's on here and who could provide some insight,

Problem with fibromyalgia is there's no physical signs and pain medications do not work. Do not let her get any kind of narcotic pain medication, or you're setting her up to get addicted. The classic patient is female, usually successful, very busy, and for some reason, they just hit a wall, and can't function anymore. Depression is almost always part of it, and the pain might just be a manifestation of underlying depression that wasn't recognized before. Chronic pain causes depression and depression can amplify any pain people have, so it has to be treated to get any improvement.

Cymbalta and Savella are two medications that are used at times, along with other SSRI's, but patients also need exercise/physical therapy. I've used Lyrica for it before, but coming at it with something for depression has seemed to work better, at least from what I've seen. It's really frustrating to treat, because for whatever reason, it's something that never really goes away. The symptoms can get better once the patient understands that there's no "magic pill" and they need to stay active and push through it.

Advertisement
Real talk... Anyone in here that works in the medical profession and deal with the subject? Need some serious help/info! Thanks in advance.

Im not a doctor, but my wife was diagnosed with this in 1997. We went through all the meds, and nothing seemed to help. She was taking medicines to help with the side affects of other medicines. Then she decided to have a child and of coarse you cant be on these meds when pregnant so she cycled off of every thing and started working out per doctor studies. So after the baby was born in 2002 she stayed of the pills and kept up the work outs and even stated running marathons. Now she still has bad day here or there but she pushes thru and her quality of life is so much better. i hope this helps. Dont do the pills. Add a good exercise program for 6 months and see how she feels.

Im not a doctor, but my wife was diagnosed with this in 1997. We went through all the meds, and nothing seemed to help. She was taking medicines to help with the side affects of other medicines. Then she decided to have a child and of coarse you cant be on these meds when pregnant so she cycled off of every thing and started working out per doctor studies. So after the baby was born in 2002 she stayed of the pills and kept up the work outs and even stated running marathons. Now she still has bad day here or there but she pushes thru and her quality of life is so much better. i hope this helps. Dont do the pills. Add a good exercise program for 6 months and see how she feels.

Thanks so much buddy! Glad to hear your wife is doing better.

tell her to relax stop stressing life and light up a joint best advice i can give
But really don't take any medicine as it will cause more problem than she already has try to find natural ways to fix the problem

Advertisement
Have you emailed Butch Davis yet?

He was after all an anatomy and biology teacher before he became a college football coach.

Diagnosis of fibromyalgia and depression go hand in hand. Which is the chicken and which is the egg is still a mystery as far as I know. Selecting the right antidepressant for her is important whatever other med she will be on.

From personal experience, let me give you some advice. Don't know if this will apply in your case, but here it is: Sometimes fibromyalgia can be caused by an orthopedic problem. The patient's limbs should be measured and the individual should be checked for any spinal abnormalities. These test should be done by a real MD and NOT by a chiropractor. Don't hesitate in having the proper tests done NOW, as the sooner the problem is identified, the sooner it can be helped and the fewer problems the patient has in later life. DO THIS FIRST before seeing any other MD in any specialty.

They found my problem when I was 50 years old. I have one leg that is an inch shorter than the other. The problem improved a lot after it was diagnosed, but now, at 70, I'm gradually losing the ability to walk and may eventually have to have major back surgery.

I hope my post helps you find an answer.. Keep in touch. I hope you can find a quick solution to this problem. Another thing. don't put up with the "It's all in your head" diagnosis. That's a lazy doctor's excuse.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You want to help your wife? Buy her marijuana. You don't want to stress about breaking the law? Move to a state where it is legal, specifically Colorado.

All the best.

tell her to relax stop stressing life and light up a joint best advice i can give
But really don't take any medicine as it will cause more problem than she already has try to find natural ways to fix the problem
Liquid THC will help.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Try aquatic exercise, but make sure it's done in suspension (flotation belt), and the trainer is AEA certified. Fybromyalga is considered a form of arthritis.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Try 500 MG's of Turmeric, I've been using it for swelling after lifting, my wife's doctor told her about it. I've got a pile of arthritis everywhere it absolutely works for me. It's even better as a mood changer and for your memory **** is great. Just had a knee operation, 4 days later walking back a couple 110 lbs dumbbells, stitches weren't even out, lol. Good stuff!

Thanks for the response. It's for my wife and she is having a really difficult time dealing with it. She went from this hard working always on the go tough chic to someone who is in constant pain and just wants to lay in bed. Being retired military we have military doctors so we don't always get the BEST care if you know what I mean. They put her on Lyrica and she is having all the side affects you see on tv but not receiving any of the benefits. She is totally a different person. Kinda scares me!!!

I know this is a football board but so I apologize, but you never know who's on here and who could provide some insight,

My wife thought she was dealing with it as well; turned out to be something much worst. Fortunately they caught it in time for her to live a normal life...but be careful w "fibromyalgia" diagnosis. Like Oracleturts stated, it's a nebulous diagnosis. Usually you'all find it can be something else. My recommendation would be to first and foremost check food allergies. See if she's allergic to any sort of gluten. Check her vision and spinal columns as well. See if any other symptoms are being felt. A lot of autoimmune diseases can give the feel of fibromyalgia, but then branch into other symptoms. Not a Dr, just dealt w this w my wife for over 5 years.

Advertisement
Back