OT - AAU Basketball

Advertisement
I played AAU several years in high school and playing pickup at the park was more beneficial to me outside of the high school season.

it was basically everyone for themselves so I had to learn to be more selfish in order to get anything out of the games. My coach and the assistant each had their kid on the team, both who sucked, and each got preferential treatment. We had some really good players on that team but it was a total disarray outside of basic defenses etc.

I remember we had 3 bench clearing brawls. The best was when the assistant saw his garbage son being fouled bringing it up the floor and rushed the floor to hit the kid guarding him and everyone erupted.

total zoo.

I would just be grateful that your kids are getting reps against bigger, older kids. That’s only going to make them better.

25 years ago there was 1 regional AAU tourney and the top two teams went to nationals. Then, if you finished well at Nationals you would get invited to a showcase in Vegas.

Leading up to regionals, the only other tourneys we had were local all-age tourneys where you had to go through a metal detector to get in the gym. Old dudes, ex-college players, juco players, etc. We got clowned on a lot but it only made us better

Last edited:
I coach Rep / AAU in Ontario, Canada (women). We often travel through the USA to showcaste tournamnets / invitationals.

This happens up here all the time, however we are not allowed to question it for politically correctness. Through privacy laws, we are discouraged to ask for proper age documentation. My teams (U13) play against teams from Toronto areas and some girl teams from the metro area look like full women . I have asked the coaches if they check their player's ID, and their responce always is .......... "Their parents said they are 12 or 13"or " I don't know what age they are"
There is cheating in womens, I can only imagine what its like in men's ball.

We had a case in Windsor a few years back where a highschool player who was ranked in the top 10 players in the country, and going on a major Div 1 scholarship down south, until in the last minute they found out he was 30 years old. LOL

European basketball requires full ID and school report card to qualify.

@GojiraCane, have you played out at Wild World at Disney, where the NBA bubble is? That was a fun tourney, the guys were excited to play there and was run well.
My son's playing for a national-tier Nike team. We were supposed to be traveling out of state this spring and summer - unfortunately that wasn't one of the locations. He desperately wants to play a tournament in Miami - we're out in Texas and he's obsessed with South Florida. I've done well in selling the Canes to him.

Unfortunately with COVID the out-of-state tournaments were cancelled and we've kept in state.

Advertisement
I played AAU several years in high school and playing pickup at the park was more beneficial to me outside of the high school season.

it was basically everyone for themselves so I had to learn to be more selfish in order to get anything out of the games. My coach and the assistant each had their kid on the team, both who sucked, and each got preferential treatment. We had some really good players on that team but it was a total disarray outside of basic defenses etc.

I remember we had 3 bench clearing brawls. The best was when the assistant saw his garbage son being fouled bringing it up the floor and rushed the floor to hit the kid guarding him and everyone erupted.

total zoo.
While we were waiting for their game to end, I saw a fourth or fifth grade coach nearly get into a fist fight with a parent last weekend after the latter accused one his players of intentionally hurting his son.

I'm not sure which sport has more drama at this level....basketball or football.

I would just be grateful that your kids are getting reps against bigger, older kids. That’s only going to make them better.

25 years ago there was 1 regional AAU tourney and the top two teams went to nationals. Then, if you finished well at Nationals you would get invited to a showcase in Vegas.

Leading up to regionals, the only other tourneys we had were local all-age tourneys where you had to go through a metal detector to get in the gym. Old dudes, ex-college players, juco players, etc. We got clowned on a lot but it only made us better
Yes, that's the bright spot that I've pointed out in the past.

I coach Rep / AAU in Ontario, Canada (women). We often travel through the USA to showcaste tournamnets / invitationals.

This happens up here all the time, however we are not allowed to question it for politically correctness. Through privacy laws, we are discouraged to ask for proper age documentation. My teams (U13) play against teams from Toronto areas and some girl teams from the metro area look like full women . I have asked the coaches if they check their player's ID, and their responce always is .......... "Their parents said they are 12 or 13"or " I don't know what age they are"
There is cheating in womens, I can only imagine what its like in men's ball.

We had a case in Windsor a few years back where a highschool player who was ranked in the top 10 players in the country, and going on a major Div 1 scholarship down south, until in the last minute they found out he was 30 years old. LOL

European basketball requires full ID and school report card to qualify.
30! That's insane!

That's like the rumors about Thon Maker that Game of Zones spoofed.

30! That's insane!

That's like the rumors about Thon Maker that Game of Zones spoofed.
Maker is same nationality as this 30 yr old. Yes there are rumors of the Maker duo being a diff. age.
Thon played down road from us at Orangeville Prep (same school as Jamaal Murray)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back