OSU... the Decision is in..

Advertisement
I expect the same for us. This year we took our bowl ban. Now Al knows what he has to work with the next 3 years for recruiting.

We could lose 10 schollies in 2013 (meaning we get only 15 instead of 25) and still be just fine depth wise. We will have a tiny graduating class in 2013 which means very limited schollies, so we wouldnt be able to max out the 25 anyways even with attrition.

Golden needs to frontload our roster bigtime this year, get the absolute max he can (i think 33 is the number). Add these to the kids from last year, and Golden will have 50+ of his kids to serve as the foundation through 2012-2014. Add in the Shammin holdovers and the schollies we will retain for 2013-2014 and we will be fine numbers wise.

Advertisement
OSU's sanctions are not an indicator as to what we can expect. The NCAA infractions committee is unpredictable. OSU based their self imposed sanctions on research they did on programs with similar violations and they were wrong. Perhaps they miscalculated, but the fact is the no one can predict how the NCAA will rule.

I think the good thing is we have fully cooperated and Tressell didn't. Although it can be argued if Shannon knew there was a problem with Shapiro in 2007, why didn't he report it to compliance and the NCAA? Why did he just restrict him from the program? Who knows? There is a lot we don't know.

My question: Ohio St. has to give up 9 scholarships over 3 years, but do they have to reduce their overall 85 limit? If not, 9 over 3 is really a minor punishment. 25+22+22+22 still equals 91. You just have to limit attrition (Juniors leaving early REALLY hurts the program) and hit more than you miss.

Those nine scholarships - are those spread over three years - meaning three per year?

That's not nine per year for three years. Right?

Advertisement
•Reduction of football scholarships from 85 to 82 for each of the 2012-13, 2013-14 and 2014-15 academic years. This is an increase from the university’s proposal of five initial scholarships spread over three academic years

this is from the NCAA report. so the limit appears to be on the 85 man cap.

•Reduction of football scholarships from 85 to 82 for each of the 2012-13, 2013-14 and 2014-15 academic years. This is an increase from the university’s proposal of five initial scholarships spread over three academic years

this is from the NCAA report. so the limit appears to be on the 85 man cap.

Thanks. That has more teeth.

Advertisement
OSU's sanctions are not an indicator as to what we can expect. The NCAA infractions committee is unpredictable. OSU based their self imposed sanctions on research they did on programs with similar violations and they were wrong. Perhaps they miscalculated, but the fact is the no one can predict how the NCAA will rule.

I think the good thing is we have fully cooperated and Tressell didn't. Although it can be argued if Shannon knew there was a problem with Shapiro in 2007, why didn't he report it to compliance and the NCAA? Why did he just restrict him from the program? Who knows? There is a lot we don't know.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I read that Shannon DID inform compliance (Miami, not NCAA), they did their investigation, and couldn't find any wrongdoing.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back