OSU Setting Up NIL Foundation in Florida

Advertisement
Sad Will Ferrell GIF

Advertisement
You think the good ole boys in Tallahassee that are UF and FSU grads are going to allow this? Especially when you can make a **** of an argument that collectives are not allowed under FL Statute, I highly doubt it.

How could it be "illegal"? Clever move on the part of the enemy. Miami and Mario will just have to work that much harder.

Win football games. You want to keep South Florida's best talent home—win with what you have and give these kids a reason to choose this new-look, big money Miami.

We're dealing with 15+ years of kids going elsewhere and the pipeline breaking. Almost two decades of high school coaches, parents, relatives, friends and bag-men pushing our best kids to an Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia, Florida (during Urban era), Florida State (during Fisher era), LSU (Miles era), etc.—because Miami wasn't a contender or an option.

So many local kids would love to stay local, but Miami wasn't even in the conversation or the same playing field due to the trash product on the field and how poorly the program was run.

If Miami is winning big and Ohio State is winning slightly bigger; news flash—local kids will choose Coral Gables over Columbus, barring the drop-off isn't massive.

When one is reaching the Playoffs and the other is a constant 7-6, with a rotating door of head coaches every three years—hardly a shock a kid would want to be a Buckeye, Tiger, Bulldog or member of the Crimson Tide.

Win the Coastal. Beat the brakes off Florida State. Try to upset aTm and Clemson. Find a way to 10-2 and have a **** of a sales pitch going in 2023; that Mario and the Canes are for real again.

Advertisement
Can anyone explain what these school collectives are?
Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t Florida specifically prohibit any NIL deals coming from the school itself or anything directly tied to it? Even though this would be Ohio maybe that’s the difference?

Just trying to understand before drawing an opinion.

Have had numerous college coaches over the years tell me that they (bag men footing the tab 🤫) have condos in FL to give them access to multiple recruits in a singular trip. This has been going on for years. For Ohio State "The Foundation " to set up shop in FL is of no surprise whatsoever.

Advertisement
Can anyone explain what these school collectives are?
Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t Florida specifically prohibit any NIL deals coming from the school itself or anything directly tied to it? Even though this would be Ohio maybe that’s the difference?

Just trying to understand before drawing an opinion.

From my understanding.. it's a group of Boosters/Fans pooling their money together to give NIL deals/contracts to the players.

Few weeks ago, saw on local Columbus news about an event they held. Both Day and their hoops coach were there. Had raffles to bid on OSU items. I'm sure there was a charge to attend. Student-Athletes I think were there doing a meet & greet.

Not sure what the FL law says but as someone else mentioned UiF & FSU have them and Miami recently started one.

Advertisement
Collectives are obviously against the “rules”, and as they have for years, the bag schools are thumbing their “collective” noses at them.

Who’s going to stop them? The NCAA? LMAO!

The conference they’re affiliated with or schools within said conference? None will cut off their noses to spite their face.

Other conferences or schools? The only recourse is the courts which would take a pile of $$$ and time with no guarantee of a positive outcome.

It is what it is so hopefully the Canes can keep pace.

How could this be legal in our state?

Completely legal. Smart. Not sure it will be super-helpful until Florida changes the state laws, but I'd be curious to know what they hope to accomplish.

EDIT: To clarify, the article only talks about the fund-raising side. YES, in Florida, you have to register your 501(c)(3) to do fund-raising in Florida. So I'm more curious about whether there will be an "in-Florida expenditures" side. This would make perfect sense in Cali, where you can actually pay HS players, but you cannot YET do that in Florida.

Advertisement
Back