OSU fan observations

Isn't Diaz related to a former Miami mayor? That's a good cultural fit.

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but Gundy is a good cultural fit for us (mullet, twang, and all) despite half of our fanbase wanting him fired at any given time.

It just is what it is. When someone is a good fit, and they can win, you really want it to work out. I know that's insultingly surface-level but that's my argument for why I think working it out with Diaz is your best scenario. Helluva lot better than bringing in some redneck like Dan Mullen lol.
Yes, Gundy is a good fit for OSU. He's an alum and former QB of OSU so he not only knows the culture he's always been a part of it.

I watched Gundy, Hart Lee Dykes, Keith Limbrick, and Barry Sanders play at Iowa State back in the day. Barry Sanders is the best running back I've ever seen in my life. Just amazing watching him in person!!!

Advertisement
I didn’t see them saved in here so I made your changes to those plus added this one:

6A6D5D1B-C76C-48D3-846D-BCE74B65351A.jpeg

Advertisement
Hi there. I just wanted to come on here and congratulate U fans on a good game, and bc I'm always morbidly curious about the other side. I hope none of this comes off the wrong way.

It was a good game, obv could have been better if D'Eriq and Tylan had played full games. It sounds like Gundy got spooked by D'Eriq's injury and we all just hope it isn't an ACL. I think the next man up on each team played lights out and really neutralized the impact of stars sitting on the bench. It felt like we scored whenever we aired it out and fell flat whenever we tried to force the run. After trying to force the run 60% of snaps this season, successfully executing our old air raid offense surprised everyone. It shouldn't be surprising that we're still built like an air raid team even though Big 12 defenses have evolved to stop the air raid, thus the effective game plan for the bowl game.

I'm not sure what's going on with your QB room but I thought N'Kosi played with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. I honestly think he was more effective than D'Eriq but there's no telling what would have happened in a full game. You have to find a way to get someone like that more involved.

8-3 is generally a decent record despite the higher expectations for both schools (remember COVID deprived us of easy pre-conf wins). For us, this was a down year from the 10-win standard of Gundy's first 10 years. For you all, I know it's simultaneously insulting (compared to the old days) but also significant progress. You've got to recognize progress like that. I know this may feel like a bad loss for anyone who's unfamiliar with the Big 12 - but don't beat yourself up. We're actually (statistically) the second best program in our conference (thru the 2010s), Gundy is now 10-5 in bowl games, and the Big 12 has gradually evolved from an offensive league to a defensive league. OSU actually fields the best third down defense in FBS. If you wanna watch the best offenses and worst defenses, try the SEC nowadays. It's funny how these things evolve over time as programs adopt new philosophies and defenses respond to what offenses do.

Lastly, careful with the negativity. I see a lot of that on here and it reminds me of our mid-season stretch where we got upset twice (which I think was caused by our negativity), didn't even show up for Bedlam, and everyone wanted Gundy fired. Our fans were about as demoralized as ever by another OU loss in a year that we were supposed to be the better team. Players do hear this fan talk, and we had a star TE transfer during the stretch of negativity. It was honestly a very difficult, disappointing year for OSU. Firing Gundy would have been a mistake though, just as firing Diaz would be for you all. Never underestimate a good cultural fit and a good program CEO. Diaz seems like a classy guy who can gradually rebuild the U into a consistent winner, if you have the patience to stick with him.

* But maybe get rid of ceremonial figureheads on the payroll. Just my advice, from someone who wants this win to look better over time. ;)

If u really wanna be helpful, tell Mr Pickens we need help w/ some bags on the low.

Nice of you to step away from your trailer park to post this. Unfortunate that “the U” has sunk so low that we’re losing to hillbilly schools where half the fanbase shows up to games with one side of their overalls unbuttoned and a piece of straw hanging out of their mouths.

We ain’t what we once were, that’s for **** certain

pokes.......Careful..don't get carried away by the sweet taste of victory.....you could easily have lost this game, if our players caught the ball, and less penalties......one of us might be writing on your site.....just sayin'

Or if there had been one more possession... for sure.

I was with you until you warned us on our board to be careful with the negativity. To just pop in and tell us how to react to the gross administrative underperformance of two decades for a program like ours, is a little tone deaf to say the least.

That's fair, but I don't think Manny Diaz is responsible for two decades of gross underperformance.

This may sound odd but OK State and Miami have a lot to learn from each other in many ways. If any of you went onto to Orange Power and suggested Gundy grades above a C+ or ~god forbid~ should keep his job, you would get pretty much the same response from everyone. It's striking to me how we would all say the same about the other program (my comments about Diaz, your comments about Gundy) but not our own.

Another striking similarity is I gather Diaz is more defensive-minded and struggles letting that phase go, refuses to bring in an independent coordinator, and micromanages that phase of the game into the ground. Sounds uncannily like Gundy's pro-style offense disguised as air raid.

I am obviously incredibly ignorant about the U but look forward to your continued resurgence and thought you'd get a kick out of some outside perspective. :)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Classic bs post. Your opponent's fans should hate/fear your team if this canes team was good. Instead, we get "Manny is a nice coach, good job on 8 wins." Now we're Wake Forest...Eff what this once proud program has become. We should have ghetto gagged OSU if we had a real head coach and an Alpha leading the athletic department. Fire Blake and Fire Manny.

Advertisement
Classic bs post. Your opponent's fans should hate/fear your team if this canes team was good. Instead, we get "Manny is a nice coach, good job on 8 wins." Now we're Wake Forest...Eff what this once proud program has become. We should have ghetto gagged OSU if we had a real head coach and an Alpha leading the athletic department. Fire Blake and Fire Manny.
Aint nobody feared us since Virginia shut the OB down.

8-3 is your best win percentage since 2003. You're also going to have 9- and 10-win seasons before you have 13- and 14-win seasons.

Advertisement
Wake Forest (at least this year) would destroy our Hurricanes 9/10 games played.

This organizational incompetence is infuriating.

JFC, its remarkable they get the light bill paid on time.

Advertisement
Back