Osborn or Thomas

verobeachcane

Recruit
Banned
For the slot position

Personally I would probably have Thomas there pretty much every offensive snap. But I can see where Osborn would be a match up problem as well. Just curious as to what your guys thoughts are.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Advertisement
You can also motion DeeJay Dallas out in the slot in a 2 back set or go empty backfield.
Us in 21 spread with brevin flexed out and Mallory at H would make our screen and run game deadly. I personally like 11 spread with JT/Pope/DJ at the H. Motion 11 into 21 with DJ or JT at H and use them like Florida used Percy. Tate at QB makes the RPO game lethal.

Thomas needs to play every snap this year. Kid is gone once the season ends so might as well get everything we can out of him because Richt ****ed away his talent the first two years.

Advertisement
I think Thomas and/or Osborne will line up across all three spots and motion out to create mismatches galore against defenses. Then when you factor in Pope, Hightower, Mallory, and Jordan....tell me which defense has the ability to stop that lineup?

Wiggins shouldn’t play until he proves he could catch the ball. Top 5 WR in no order are Osborn Thomas Hightower Payton Pope

I agree with your top five, but Wiggins will probably see more action than Pope because he's either 1 or 2 at the X right now. If Hightower is healthy I'm almost certain he's #1 at the X. There's a possibility that Payton surpasses Wiggins to become the #2. If that's how it plays out then his playing time will diminish....but all of those things have yet to occur.

Pope is behind Osborne and possibly Thomas.

Advertisement
I think Thomas and/or Osborne will line up across all three spots and motion out to create mismatches galore against defenses. Then when you factor in Pope, Hightower, Mallory, and Jordan....tell me which defense has the ability to stop that lineup?
This is probably going to be the way to go with an offense that is "multiple". There's going to be various groupings and players are going to be playing different spots (x,y,z) depending on the grouping.
Stubblefield is a good guy to help prepare the WRs because the Purdue offense that he played in had lots of different Groupings of skillplayers playing various positions.
Sometimes TEs and HBs were utilized in WRS slots as well and had to know each position accordingly.

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance, but can any of the older guys tell me if such a formation/set is reminiscent of Erickson era Miami offense?

Erickson's one back already had 3 receivers on the field, one of them being a slot. Not to say he never motioned the one back on top of that....but we had the slot look pre-snap even without the RB going in motion.

Erickson's one back had the RB running a ton of flat routes out of the backfield as an easy dump off if the stuff downfield didn't materialize quickly.

Advertisement
Back