Oregon's Stats for Reference

Bennubird

Senior
Discussion of Oregon's DL coach in another thread got me thinking about what the defensive numbers for this past season show. Here are a few stats from the NCAA website on Oregon's Defense. Some of the numbers for this past season were surprising to me. I believe Oregon is a young team, which probably explains some of the issues on defense and with penalties. Their best defensive linemen missing team probably hurt also.

The first number is the national ranking. Thus, 118 in 3rd Down Conversion means Oregon was 118th of 130 schools. UM's numbers and Georgia's numbers are given for context. Here is a link to those stats - NCAA College Football FBS current team Stats | NCAA.com

Once we get our new DC, I'll add his team's stats here as well.

Total Team Defense (Yards per game) = O 60 / UM 77 / UGA 2
Passing Yards Allowed = O 88 / UM 101 / UGA 3
Rush Defense = O 37th / UM 48th / UGA 3
3rd Down Conversion = O 118 / UM 78 / UGA 19
Fewest Penalties per game = O 115 (7.58 per game) /UM was 108 / UGA 9
Passes intercepted = O 4 / UM tied for 87th / UGA 36
Red Zone Defense = O 84 / UM 129 (second to last nationally) / UGA 1
Turnover Margin = O 20 / UM 103 / UGA 69
Scoring Defense = O 60 / UM 84 / UGA 1
Tackles for Loss = O 106 / UM 9 / UGA 43
Team Sacks = O 93 / UM 35 / UGA 15

Advertisement
Advertisement
Are we discussing DL or DC?
Relly we can, but Canes are on here debating this coach and that coach without looking at the numbers for their unit.

Obviously, stats don't tell the whole story, there could be injuries, team is young, etc., but they are important and are often used as a basis for measuring performance.

So Oregon was less disciplined this season than Miami? WTF?
Yes. Once the rumors started about Manny, I went looking at some of Oregon’s stats. That was one of the more surprising things that stood out. For a coach that preaches toughness, work ethic, repetition etc, I sort of naturally equate that to discipline. I looked also at the prior 2 years. Don’t quote me but I don’t remember this being an outlier. Hopefully that gets cleaned up.

Advertisement
So Oregon’s offense and defense sucked?
Which is why I was skeptical of Mario. Can he put together a good staff? If money isn't an issue at Oregon, what was the problem? If getting talent at Oregon wasn't the problem because he can recruit, then what was it?

Don't get me wrong, I think he's better than Manny, but his success here entirely hinges on his hires. He's going to have to do better than he did at Oregon if he's going to win big here. Winning the Coastal isn't the ultimate goal. Winning the ACC as Clemson declines isn't the ultimate goal. We want to be a playoff team, and I don't mean once it gets to be a 16 team playoff.

We didn't hire him to get the snot beat out of us by teams like Utah, so he'd better get these hires right.

Those poor stats are because of a decent but nowhere near elite S&C program. Just because they're spending money doesn't mean anything.

Which is why I was skeptical of Mario. Can he put together a good staff? If money isn't an issue at Oregon, what was the problem? If getting talent at Oregon wasn't the problem because he can recruit, then what was it?

Don't get me wrong, I think he's better than Manny, but his success here entirely hinges on his hires. He's going to have to do better than he did at Oregon if he's going to win big here. Winning the Coastal isn't the ultimate goal. Winning the ACC as Clemson declines isn't the ultimate goal. We want to be a playoff team, and I don't mean once it gets to be a 16 team playoff.

We didn't hire him to get the snot beat out of us by teams like Utah, so he'd better get these hires right.
Absolutely agree. It really does matter, but I am confident he knows that. Coming here gives him a chance to reload.

Advertisement
The admin said, here's 80 million, now our hands our clean. Can't blame us when this blows up. That should be obvious based on how things were conducted, from Manny being here weeks longer than he should've been, to not having an AD when Mario got hired. It's a clown show. At least it would've been nice if the admin had questions about that Clown Feld not being fired after the 2nd Utah beatdown. Oh, wait, he's first on some garbage list that obviously hasn't taken into account how the last 2 seasons have ended.

The fact that they were less disciplined than we were is terrifying and sobering. Way to ruin my weekend, OP 🤯

Advertisement
This was something that was mentioned during the coaching search, but was mostly ignored.
They had a good secondary based on the stats above. So it could be signs of of aggressive D. At the end of the day the most important stat that matters is the win column, and there's no doubt that Mario can win on a consistent basis.

i thought that was part of mario's dna, discipline
If you're winning games it doesn't matter. So I looked up OP's stats myself. Turns out the penalty stats aren't for the defense only, they're for the whole team.

So yes, Oregon was a more frequently penalized team than us, but so were Ole Miss (128th) and Cincinnati (111th). Even Bama was just one spot ahead of us at 107th.

As the old saying does, Just Win Baby. We hired Mario to win football games and championships. If he does that, no one will care that we're among the worst penalized teams in the country. GO CANES!!

Oregon also was first in the conference in opponent penalties with their opponents getting 7.9 penalties per game.

Seems Oregon games had a lot of penalties on average.

Advertisement
Back