Oregon St is killing it

cocanes

Dolemite isn’t my name
They have signed 4 juco players and counting so will Miss St with apparently 6. Why cant we address out needs via juco?

Advertisement
They have signed 4 juco players and counting so will Miss St with apparently 6. Why cant we address out needs via juco?

Having to go to the juco ranks is NOT a sign of success, it's a sign of bad planning... Do NOT be envious of these clowns.

Last edited:

Those two teams had a combined record of 9-15 last year. They probably have more opportunities for immediate playing time than we do. And that's a good thing.

Advertisement
Bama, LSU, Miss St, Ole Miss, UGA, Oklahoma, TAMU, Oregon & tons of other schools sign JUCO kids practically every cycle...

You ever heard of Dede Westbrook Heisman candidate? Yeah, Blinn College...

Juco isn't always the ideal way to go, but it's not necessarily the worst thing in the world either...

It obviously doesn't always work, but if the talent is there, it doesn't hurt going after a kid.

Bama is signing the #1 ranked OL & DE in JUCO this year & they would be signing the #1 CB too but we flipped Dean from them.

The point being, teams regardless of their record will get the talent wherever it is.

Last edited:
Really?? Come on man, you're talking about juco players. You don't want be signing 4 juco receivers. We were able to get 3 good receivers last year, it's not anybody's fault that Bruce was immature. Mullins is going to play and Cager is coming back, still don't understand why everybody is so down on him right now.

Advertisement
You take 1 or 2 juco's to be a gap stop for the younger guys. Very rare that elite talents are available in the Juco ranks. Most of them were highly sought after croots that started at a power 5. L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You shouldn't HAVE to go juco but you should always hunt Jucos for studs.

Remember Shockey, McKinney, Mcdougle, etc.

Advertisement
Bama, LSU, Miss St, Ole Miss, UGA, Oklahoma, TAMU, Oregon & tons of other schools sign JUCO kids practically every cycle...

Juco isn't always the ideal way to go, but it's not necessarily the worst thing in the world either...

It obviously doesn't always work, but if the talent is there, it doesn't hurt going after a kid.

Bama is signing the #1 ranked OL & DE in JUCO this year & they would be signing the #1 CB too but we flipped Dean from them.

The point being, teams regardless of their record will get the talent wherever it is.

I agree to an extent. Sprinkling a couple of JUCOs in your signing class is never bad. ****, some notable JUCO players were McKinnie and Shockey in the early 2000's. But counting for a large portion of your class to be JUCO like the two aforementioned schools is never a good sign, IMO.

there's a reason UM doesn't and can't take many jucos. UM is a private school and unless a kid goes to juco with the intent of coming to UM and takes the right classes, a lot of classes these kids take at juco don't transfer into UM and therefore they don't get into UM after 2 years. look at how many jucos transfer into private schools or small private schools.

unless they are a kid going to juco b/c they didn't qualify out of hs after signing with UM and are guided on what they need to take to get back or unless they are a kid in juco b/c they were a late developing and had grades, it's hard to get some of these kids classes to transfer to UM. they are usually large public schools who take these kids.

80/20 . . . 80 percent high school and 20 percent juco to supplement areas you couldn't address

in our case juco dbs and wr . . . maybe ol

everywhere else is pretty solid

Advertisement
there's a reason UM doesn't and can't take many jucos. UM is a private school and unless a kid goes to juco with the intent of coming to UM and takes the right classes, a lot of classes these kids take at juco don't transfer into UM and therefore they don't get into UM after 2 years. look at how many jucos transfer into private schools or small private schools.

unless they are a kid going to juco b/c they didn't qualify out of hs after signing with UM and are guided on what they need to take to get back or unless they are a kid in juco b/c they were a late developing and had grades, it's hard to get some of these kids classes to transfer to UM. they are usually large public schools who take these kids.

This is another problem. Admissions has killed this program for years.

Its not just JUCO. Admissions has also hurt us with some borderline grade kids because of a class here or there.

Schools like Alabama make exceptions and get things done to bring the studs in.

it's not admissions, its that the PE classes and other general classes these kids take don't transfer into UM. it's b/c UM is a private school and doesn't have these majors or accept these classes. it's b/c UM is private, not b/c UM admissions won't take them.

I agree to an extent. Sprinkling a couple of JUCOs in your signing class is never bad. ****, some notable JUCO players were McKinnie and Shockey in the early 2000's. But counting for a large portion of your class to be JUCO like the two aforementioned schools is never a good sign, IMO.
I don't disagree with that at all, I wasn't saying we should sign 4-6 kids, I was pointing out that even top level programs & title contenders get JUCO kids.

Meaning, if there's an opportunity to sign a talented player then you take it...

I wasn't arguing in favor of what Oregon St is doing, I'm saying even successful programs go get the talent no matter what.

Advertisement
Back