Orange Bowl Curse?

Silver King

Pass Block
It's got to be more than coaching and players to be this afflicted this long (or play this inconsistently). My guess is some sort of Santería curse is attached to the OB and the teams that left it. Maybe its history related to the "Wave of Hope" denied Cubans in the 1963 headline below, and maybe forever for us Canes and Fins fans. Given its history the OB probably could have been named an American National Historic Landmark; particularly with its Bay of Pigs history (and being in Little Havana). But they bulldozed it.

The legendary Canes called the OB home and had the BEST TEAM in NCAA History and it is where they set the Longest NCAA Home Winning Streak at 58 games at the time. The OB still remains Home Field for the only UNDEFEATED NFL Team, the Miami Dolphins.

Miami lost their last game in the OB on Nov 10, 2007 to Virginia with their 2nd worst home defeat in history (I was there, it sucked. The Rock should have asked for his check back); FIU broke their 23 game losing streak after the Miami fight, with a win in their last game in the OB against North Texas State on Dec 1, 2007. Then last night…

Maybe the curse settled because Kennedy never came through with the second wave of air support he promised. That pretty much finished off the ill schemed invasion of Cuba for the CIA and Brigade 2506. They did after all sue the Kennedy library to get their flag back they presented on that day in the OB: "President Kennedy has gone to his reward. Havana is not free, and the banner of Brigade 2506 gathers dust in some museum.” (Time article 1977)

Sorry, felt the need to find something non-football related to explain this loss. I'm in denial.

Screen Shot 2019-11-24 at 12.09.24 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Advertisement
Unless and until the OB is rebuilt where it stood, this program will be cursed.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back