Orange Bowl Boys ALONZO HIGHSMITH podcast REVIEW

Advertisement
Nothing will save Diaz job... I want to see our young guys continue to play and do well and have some success...Cant root for losses
I liked post because I mostly agree with you. Only question I have is this: because strange things can happen in sports, should Diaz and our kids somehow someway win out, including capturing our 1st ACC title, would Diaz be the HC in 2022? I don't think this will even remotely happen, however, it is possible, so it has to be up for discussion. I can't see them ousting Diaz if he wins the programs 1st ACC Championship.

I love Zo. The guy is a legend. With that said, I watched one interview (the one w/ Melvin and Lamar) and it's very clear that Zo is better suited in NFL front office management. He is not a college administrator.

I know we want to hire someone that can fix the football program but at the end of the day the University of Miami is still....a University. I'm paraphrasing this but in that interview he talks about the U brand being all about Football and that the program needs to be run like an NFL program. No University administrator will hire someone with this approach.

My guess is in the interview stage for this role there is a VERY LARGE portion that focuses on the student component of being a student-athlete. Look, maybe he interviews completely differently in private, but it's a tough sell for a University to hire a guy who wants to run the program like an NFL organization.

Can he be an advisor? Sure. Can he be apart of the hiring committee for the next coach? 100%. Maybe even Chief of Staff type role where it's about scouting high school athletes and bringing NFL experience to the program.

But will they put him in charge of the student-athletes? I just don't see it.
You just typed a whole lot of nonsense and formed opinions based upon watching one interview .... and I suspect many would argue you didn't even understand what you heard in the interview. You also apparently also didn't hear the part where he said UM football has one of the highest graduation rates of all university football programs.

I graduated from UM and I'm not naive enough to have the opinion that we are an Ivy league institution and our football program is some bastion of higher education that must be protected.

I guess I just don't understand your white tower observations.

You just typed a whole lot of nonsense and formed opinions based upon watching one interview .... and I suspect many would argue you didn't even understand what you heard in the interview. You also apparently also didn't hear the part where he said UM football has one of the highest graduation rates of all university football programs.

I graduated from UM and I'm not naive enough to have the opinion that we are an Ivy league institution and our football program is some bastion of higher education that must be protected.

This!

I think people with his attitude are very prominent in our athletic dept. Sadly

Advertisement
So the U keeps telling us its raining while ****ing all over the fans. Enough already. There is no hope for a brighter future. Manny failed and if not for the portal it would be worse. His recruiting,game planning along with player development sux.

I heard a lot of similar thoughts in the OBB podcast as well. It's also not like there's 100 interviews to pull from so you gotta kinda based off of what he said in the few interviews he's done recently.

Now let's make a distinction here. There's such thing as Director of Player Personnel in college. If Zo wants this type of a role where he's involved in scouting, managing transfer portal, and other things like this then this is a natural fit. Or make him Chief of Staff. These roles though at the end of the day still report into the HC.

But my take is that he's trying to position himself as your typical NFL GM where he would have control of HC hire and heavily influence recruiting, scouting, etc. He would either report in directly to the AD or maybe even be at the same level as AD but own all things Football.

When you have that type of ownership my guess is whoever is hiring will want to make sure you can nail the two big things, academics and athletics. I don't think he has the experience on the academics side and I don't think his pitch of running this as if it were an NFL team would be viewed as a good thing. Yes I realize we're not Ivy League...we're not even Duke or UNC. But these people making the decisions would probably have difficulty handing over the reigns of the entire program to someone with limited experience in college administration.

I think people with his attitude are very prominent in our athletic dept. Sadly
Lol brother I literally own www.fireblakejames.com. I wouldn't last a day in the department cuz I'd burn it all down.

I'm just trying to be real about the likelihood that they hire Zo as either a) AD b) Football GM or Football Czar or whatever people are calling it. And not because I agree with them. I would love to have someone run this program successfully. But the people making those decisions have certain checkboxes they probably need to fill and I don't think Zo would fill those things.

I heard a lot of similar thoughts in the OBB podcast as well. It's also not like there's 100 interviews to pull from so you gotta kinda based off of what he said in the few interviews he's done recently.

Now let's make a distinction here. There's such thing as Director of Player Personnel in college. If Zo wants this type of a role where he's involved in scouting, managing transfer portal, and other things like this then this is a natural fit. Or make him Chief of Staff. These roles though at the end of the day still report into the HC.

But my take is that he's trying to position himself as your typical NFL GM where he would have control of HC hire and heavily influence recruiting, scouting, etc. He would either report in directly to the AD or maybe even be at the same level as AD but own all things Football.

When you have that type of ownership my guess is whoever is hiring will want to make sure you can nail the two big things, academics and athletics. I don't think he has the experience on the academics side and I don't think his pitch of running this as if it were an NFL team would be viewed as a good thing. Yes I realize we're not Ivy League...we're not even Duke or UNC. But these people making the decisions would probably have difficulty handing over the reigns of the entire program to someone with limited experience in college administration.
Literally no idea WTF are you talking about? Football players are either academically qualified or they are not. The academics is handled by the academic staff and admissions and the Athletic Director quite literally has nothing to do with any of it.

Am I'm getting punked and replying to a DBC alias?

Advertisement
I liked post because I mostly agree with you. Only question I have is this: because strange things can happen in sports, should Diaz and our kids somehow someway win out, including capturing our 1st ACC title, would Diaz be the HC in 2022? I don't think this will even remotely happen, however, it is possible, so it has to be up for discussion. I can't see them ousting Diaz if he wins the programs 1st ACC Championship.
That would and should be the only thing that keeps him from being fired. Won't happen though

Every year after every loss we say “if they can just win out” “if they can somehow win the coastal” “if they can just make it to the titular game against Clemson” “if they can just make it to a bowl game and win”. IT NEVER HAPPENS WITH DIAZ. I’m done with him. I had high hopes. Still cheering for the Canes but I’m over Manny Diaz. All he does is blabber after each loss about how great that locker room is. How we’re learning every game. Jesus I just can’t anymore.

Every year after every loss we say “if they can just win out” “if they can somehow win the coastal” “if they can just make it to the titular game against Clemson” “if they can just make it to a bowl game and win”. IT NEVER HAPPENS WITH DIAZ. I’m done with him. I had high hopes. Still cheering for the Canes but I’m over Manny Diaz. All he does is blabber after each loss about how great that locker room is. How we’re learning every game. Jesus I just can’t anymore.
Titular. Is that even a word?

Advertisement
Thing is, we don't know that for sure since nothing has been announced. They come out and announce that they have come to an agreement that he will finish the season then yes, I will change my tune. Until then, whatever it takes to get them out.
yea but that your filling your own narrative. Even if he loses, there's no guarantee that he's out. Next year could still be his, so rooting for the team to lose is ridiculous. Not aimed at you specifically but, this is why people **** on our fan base. Let **** work itself out, and stop talking about Manny, its nauseating. Support the kids and the program. There's a ton of talent on both sides. With the in game experience and coming together as a team with fan support, not distractions and noise, they could be very dangerous next year.

Think of the three safeties (Williams x2 Kam), TS at corner, Chase smith at striker, LT, JHH, Roberts as uber athletic D tackles getting up field, growth of the D ends, especially what chantz has flashed, with the experience under their belt, along with guys having another year like Austin-cave, Sam brooks off injury.

Returning experienced guys on the O line with legit talent behind them developing, two stud backs in Knighton & chaney + depth behind them, the three amigos, smith, restrepo, Redding, Arroyo at TE already looks the part of NFL tight end, getting extensive playing time as true frosh. Garcia off Injury competing with TVD.

There is a lot to be positive about in this program. We know the behind the scenes needs to be addressed and is, but everyone needs to chill the F out with the constant negativity. Fans need to play their part in getting recruits, not driving them away. Go to the ******* games and fill the stadium up, not this fair weather fan nonsense.

yea but that your filling your own narrative. Even if he loses, there's no guarantee that he's out. Next year could still be his, so rooting for the team to lose is ridiculous. Not aimed at you specifically but, this is why people **** on our fan base. Let **** work itself out, and stop talking about Manny, its nauseating. Support the kids and the program. There's a ton of talent on both sides. With the in game experience and coming together as a team with fan support, not distractions and noise, they could be very dangerous next year.

Think of the three safeties (Williams x2 Kam), TS at corner, Chase smith at striker, LT, JHH, Roberts as uber athletic D tackles getting up field, growth of the D ends, especially what chantz has flashed, with the experience under their belt, along with guys having another year like Austin-cave, Sam brooks off injury.

Returning experienced guys on the O line with legit talent behind them developing, two stud backs in Knighton & chaney + depth behind them, the three amigos, smith, restrepo, Redding, Arroyo at TE already looks the part of NFL tight end, getting extensive playing time as true frosh. Garcia off Injury competing with TVD.

There is a lot to be positive about in this program. We know the behind the scenes needs to be addressed and is, but everyone needs to chill the F out with the constant negativity. Fans need to play their part in getting recruits, not driving them away. Go to the ******* games and fill the stadium up, not this fair weather fan nonsense.
Hey CMD, that you???

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back