Orange Bowl Boys ALONZO HIGHSMITH podcast REVIEW

ItsAUThing.com

Following 'The U' since '82—covering it since '96.
Finally dove into the OBB podcast featuring Zo a few days back and left with more optimism about this program, than I've had in a long time.

Granted, the entire athletic department would need an *****—the BoT to get their heads out of their collective asses and egos checked, a REAL athletic director brought in to properly handle everything non-football related (with an understanding that football reigns supreme), 'Zo on staff as a football-focused AD and player personnel type—as well as a real head coach, with a budget for a real staff.

All of that feels like a pipe dream based on the past 20 years of bad decision making (starting with dropping the ball on extending Butch's contract in late 2000)—but a imperfect storm seems to be brewing with Diaz's epic collapse becoming a lead story in college football, soon as Kirk Herbstreit took the program down a peg on College GameDay the week after Miami slipped to 1-2 and got worked by Michigan State.

Herby had his way with the admin back in 2006 in Larry Coker's swan song—the Thanksgiving weekend night game against Boston College, where Bryan Pata was honored—the ESPN talking head taking UM's admin to task for shoddy facilities and being way behind the times in comparison to the composition (Coker finishing 7-6 on the season, after back to back 9-3 runs, after that three year 35-3 start with Davis' kids.)

Seems it takes being humiliated nationally for UM to pay attention—and that is happening right now—which is why "rooting" for losses and Diaz's free fall to continue remains in the best short-term and long-term interest of this program.

16-14 since 2019—2-4 on the season, 2-6 dating back to the end of last year and no P5 win since beating Duke on 12/5/20—this thing is spiraling.

No. 18 North Carolina State head south to what should be a barren HardRock on Saturday night—outside of their fans willing to make the 10-hour drive to support their 5-1 team; something the commentators will most-definitely talk up and focus on .... how Miami home games are a morgue when this program struggles.

If the Wolfpack can deliver a 45-17 like shellacking, safe to say Diaz would be gone Sunday morning. If the Canes keep it close enough, he buys another week and hopefully No. 23 Pittsburgh plays tough and puts this era out to pasture. (Crazy fact; Kenny Pickett—freshman quarterback of that 2017 upset where 10-0 Miami went down—still the quarterback this season, with the bonus COVID year.)

All that to say, the Zo podcast is must-listen and there is a glimmer of hope for this now-embarrassed program, who is watching a collapse from Diaz on par with the 2-8 season Carl Selmer put together in 1975.

May our division rivals pour it on these next two weeks to end this knee-jerk, lazy-hire era that never should've happened in the first place.

https://itsauthing.com/miami-hurricanes-football-alonzo-highsmith-orange-bowl-boys-podcast-the-u

EDIT: Those stating that Manny being out is a "foregone conclusion"—bet your *** the administration is rooting for him to turn it around and to finish 7-5 / 8-4 — giving them the narrative that he was able to rally the troops with his back to the wall, buying him another year.

You saw the PR machine in full spin-mode last weekend when Diaz retuned to the field at Kenan Memorial for his somber thousand yard stare at the the scene of the crime carefully position at 2 o'clock from the press box, so any lurking reporters could watch him trying to make sense of what just happened (as a politician—and even the son of a politician—ALWAYS knows were the cameras are.)

Miami wants so badly for Diaz to bounce back, so they can push the "five points separated us from 2-0 in the ACC and 0-2"—and that two plays are the difference between 4-2 right now and 2-4.

It took a 58-0 *** kicking at the hands of Clemson to send Al Golden packing in October 2015—given some grace after 6-7 year four, as they pitied him for the Sharpiro situation he was blindsided with.

Miami isn't going to can Diaz when he's losing close games; at least not in-season. The best case scenario for the Canes in the short- and long-term—hope that North Carolina State put a pasting on them, fire Diaz on Sunday morning and root for the kids to bounce back under an interim head coach. (Proving recent losses to UVA and UNC weren't last-second gut punches—but 59 minutes where the Canes were outplayed, out-coached, made boneheaded mistakes, started slow, couldn't tackle, et al.

Anything less and this team will bleed out slowly; ekeing out a win here or there, or losing heartbreakers. Canes need to get crushed to put Diaz out of his misery—and based on UM's decades worth of incompetence, until he's gone, I don't believe they're firing him—and the quickest way to get him out is for Miami to get humiliated in the coming weeks (regardless of what any of us are choosing to "root for" or not—as rooting has zero bearing on anything.)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Finally dove into the OBB podcast featuring Zo a few days back and left with more optimism about this program, than I've had in a long time.

Granted, the entire athletic department would need an *****—the BoT to get their heads out of their collective asses and egos checked, a REAL athletic director brought in to properly handle everything non-football related (with an understanding that football reigns supreme), 'Zo on staff as a football-focused AD and player personnel type—as well as a real head coach, with a budget for a real staff.

All of that feels like a pipe dream based on the past 20 years of bad decision making (starting with dropping the ball on extending Butch's contract in late 2000)—but a imperfect storm seems to be brewing with Diaz's epic collapse becoming a lead story in college football, soon as Kirk Herbstreit took the program down a peg on College GameDay the week after Miami slipped to 1-2 and got worked by Michigan State.

Herby had his way with the admin back in 2006 in Larry Coker's swan song—the Thanksgiving weekend night game against Boston College, where Bryan Pata was honored—the ESPN talking head taking UM's admin to task for shoddy facilities and being way behind the times in comparison to the composition (Coker finishing 7-6 on the season, after back to back 9-3 runs, after that three year 35-3 start with Davis' kids.)

Seems it takes being humiliated nationally for UM to pay attention—and that is happening right now—which is why "rooting" for losses and Diaz's free fall to continue remains in the best short-term and long-term interest of this program.

16-14 since 2019—2-4 on the season, 2-6 dating back to the end of last year and no P5 win since beating Duke on 12/5/20—this thing is spiraling.

No. 18 North Carolina State head south to what should be a barren HardRock on Saturday night—outside of their fans willing to make the 10-hour drive to support their 5-1 team; something the commentators will most-definitely talk up and focus on .... how Miami home games are a morgue when this program struggles.

If the Wolfpack can deliver a 45-17 like shellacking, safe to say Diaz would be gone Sunday morning. If the Canes keep it close enough, he buys another week and hopefully No. 23 Pittsburgh plays tough and puts this era out to pasture. (Crazy fact; Kenny Pickett—freshman quarterback of that 2017 upset where 10-0 Miami went down—still the quarterback this season, with the bonus COVID year.)

All that to say, the Zo podcast is must-listen and there is a glimmer of hope for this now-embarrassed program, who is watching a collapse from Diaz on par with the 2-8 season Carl Selmer put together in 1975.

May our division rivals pour it on these next two weeks to end this knee-jerk, lazy-hire era that never should've happened in the first place.

https://itsauthing.com/miami-hurricanes-football-alonzo-highsmith-orange-bowl-boys-podcast-the-u

Nothing will save Diaz job... I want to see our young guys continue to play and do well and have some success...Cant root for losses

Excellent perspective. You made a point about Butch and his contract issue that made me recall a perspective that as a fan I hate to admit I held. If you looked at our history of success to that point, it looked like coaching was second to recruiting. In other words, “anyone” could coach big wins and seasons so long as they brought in the State of Miami talent. This also coincided with getting into more trouble down the road with Nevin and I think the powers that be made a conscious decision to keep hiring safe yes men that would keep their nose clean and prevent admin from having to be in a negative spotlight. This obviously has eroded the product over two decades and actually underscored the fact that a great coach is not a luxury but a necessity.

I understand the anger towards Manny, Blake and the school, but rooting for losses is simply shortsighted. Manny is gone, and likely Blake too, so those issues are settled. Next we need to hire a proven coach, which will be a lot easier if we show we have enough talent to compete quickly. So what we should be hoping for is a win, led by the freshmen, to show that we do have a bright future, its not a complete rebuild.

I understand the anger towards Manny, Blake and the school, but rooting for losses is simply shortsighted. Manny is gone, and likely Blake too, so those issues are settled. Next we need to hire a proven coach, which will be a lot easier if we show we have enough talent to compete quickly. So what we should be hoping for is a win, led by the freshmen, to show that we do have a bright future, its not a complete rebuild.
Thing is, we don't know that for sure since nothing has been announced. They come out and announce that they have come to an agreement that he will finish the season then yes, I will change my tune. Until then, whatever it takes to get them out.

Advertisement
Thing is, we don't know that for sure since nothing has been announced. They come out and announce that they have come to an agreement that he will finish the season then yes, I will change my tune. Until then, whatever it takes to get them out.
Agree, as much as I want to believe the chatter from people that know others on the inside telling me them it's over - I don't. Unless it is announced, I'm not doing this circle jerk like we do every time we are looking for a change i.e Richts OC, Donofrio, Blake, etc. This school - if it really does pull the trigger - will wait until it absolutely HAS to to make a move. So, I will welcome a beating if that is what it takes. This limbo does nothing but hurt the program in recruiting and on the field. God forbid we go through all of this and Manny strings together something to save his job for another year :concern:

I love Zo. The guy is a legend. With that said, I watched one interview (the one w/ Melvin and Lamar) and it's very clear that Zo is better suited in NFL front office management. He is not a college administrator.

I know we want to hire someone that can fix the football program but at the end of the day the University of Miami is still....a University. I'm paraphrasing this but in that interview he talks about the U brand being all about Football and that the program needs to be run like an NFL program. No University administrator will hire someone with this approach.

My guess is in the interview stage for this role there is a VERY LARGE portion that focuses on the student component of being a student-athlete. Look, maybe he interviews completely differently in private, but it's a tough sell for a University to hire a guy who wants to run the program like an NFL organization.

Can he be an advisor? Sure. Can he be apart of the hiring committee for the next coach? 100%. Maybe even Chief of Staff type role where it's about scouting high school athletes and bringing NFL experience to the program.

But will they put him in charge of the student-athletes? I just don't see it.

Outside chance Blake and manny fired together.

Advertisement
I try not to take a side in this discussion because I understand why people want to root against the team. I get it. They want change as soon as possible. I don’t judge.

I don't root against the team because bad coaches are going to eventually lose and get fired. I wanted Coker gone in 2002 but knew it was not going to happen and had to wait years. What good would it have done me to root against Miami all those years.

It is hard to support the team once the players give up, but if they don’t, I just can’t help myself…I want them to succeed. I don’t choose to support the team….I just watch and want them to do well regardless.

Seems it takes being humiliated nationally for UM to pay attention—and that is happening right now—which is why "rooting" for losses and Diaz's free fall to continue remains in the best short-term and long-term interest of this program
This is True.

This is why I don’t care about flying banners. People say all it does is embarrass the school….But embarrassment seems to be the only thing that makes them respond.

I love Zo. The guy is a legend. With that said, I watched one interview (the one w/ Melvin and Lamar) and it's very clear that Zo is better suited in NFL front office management. He is not a college administrator.

I know we want to hire someone that can fix the football program but at the end of the day the University of Miami is still....a University. I'm paraphrasing this but in that interview he talks about the U brand being all about Football and that the program needs to be run like an NFL program. No University administrator will hire someone with this approach.

My guess is in the interview stage for this role there is a VERY LARGE portion that focuses on the student component of being a student-athlete. Look, maybe he interviews completely differently in private, but it's a tough sell for a University to hire a guy who wants to run the program like an NFL organization.

Can he be an advisor? Sure. Can he be apart of the hiring committee for the next coach? 100%. Maybe even Chief of Staff type role where it's about scouting high school athletes and bringing NFL experience to the program.

I seriously think you’re overstating the student role in student athlete. They’re over 400 at the u, about 120 play on the football and basketball teams= revenue sports. I doubt the academic integrity is compromised by the desire to be run like a pro organization.

It seems a foregone conclusion that Diaz and James are gone. Doesn't seem anything can save either. In my 50 plus years as a Cane, I've NEVER rooted for a loss. That won't change tomorrow or anytime soon.

I have no doubt that some players have checked out. I'll be pulling for those that haven't - win or lose.
Blake isn’t expected to be fired. This according to every single reporter, ex player, insider, fake insider, seer, psychic, and fortune teller out there.

Agree with much of what you state EXCEPT "All of that feels like a pipe dream based on the past 20 years of bad decision making (starting with dropping the ball on extending Butch's contract in late 2000)".... this lie continues to circulate. The truth is that former AD Paul Dee went to the BOT twice with Butch's demands. The 1st time he got everything that Butch & his agent wanted. When Paul happily informed him Butch rejected that and Paul returned to the BOT after Butch swore he'd stay if all NEW terms were met....the BOT gave Paul 100% of the demands and Butch signed with Cleveland anyways, which is why he was never welcomed back. Just sayin....

Advertisement
Agree with much of what you state EXCEPT "All of that feels like a pipe dream based on the past 20 years of bad decision making (starting with dropping the ball on extending Butch's contract in late 2000)".... this lie continues to circulate. The truth is that former AD Paul Dee went to the BOT twice with Butch's demands. The 1st time he got everything that Butch & his agent wanted. When Paul happily informed him Butch rejected that and Paul returned to the BOT after Butch swore he'd stay if all NEW terms were met....the BOT gave Paul 100% of the demands and Butch signed with Cleveland anyways, which is why he was never welcomed back. Just sayin....
That's a crock of sh*t.....the BOT NEVER gave Dee even close to 100% of the demands...I know this as 100% fact....

Blake isn’t expected to be fired. This according to every single reporter, ex player, insider, fake insider, seer, psychic, and fortune teller out there.
Not predicting he gets fired, but good luck finding a quality coach if Blake remains as the AD. Also, tired of Alonzo publicly campaign for a job. Not cool.

Never thought I’d root for a loss, and I’m not necessarily rooting for one tomorrow, but if we lose, we need to lose convincingly, not like last weekend. I will always root for the kids.

Problem is (and I think it’s a lot of peoples issues) that we literally do NOT like Manny. He had his chance. Miami has always been known for swagger and bravado, but Manny is 100% false bravado. He’s making a mockery of this program with the chain and TD rings, slip and sliding in the rain on a last second win over a team we should’ve smashed. Everything is amateur and he is as expected, passing blame to everywhere and everyone else when he has been at this University going on 6 years. Not three. SIX.

People liked Golden but realized it was time to move because he couldn’t fire his boy, but people didn’t have this type of disdain for him as most of us do Manny. Get him the **** away from our program before his ***** *** ways clamp onto anything or cost us anyone else. Experiment is over. And if Manny being gone sooner than later takes a 3/4 TD smacking from the Wolfpack. Then so be it.

Advertisement
Never thought I’d root for a loss, and I’m not necessarily rooting for one tomorrow, but if we lose, we need to lose convincingly, not like last weekend. I will always root for the kids.

Problem is (and I think it’s a lot of peoples issues) that we literally do NOT like Manny. He had his chance. Miami has always been known for swagger and bravado, but Manny is 100% false bravado. He’s making a mockery of this program with the chain and TD rings, slip and sliding in the rain on a last second win over a team we should’ve smashed. Everything is amateur and he is as expected, passing blame to everywhere and everyone else when he has been at this University going on 6 years. Not three. SIX.

People liked Golden but realized it was time to move because he couldn’t fire his boy, but people didn’t have this type of disdain for him as most of us do Manny. Get him the **** away from our program before his ***** *** ways clamp onto anything or cost us anyone else. Experiment is over. And if Manny being gone sooner than later takes a 3/4 TD smacking from the Wolfpack. Then so be it.
The majority of people that don’t like Manny, never have….

Manny is done, whether its announced or not.

In principle, I see nothing wrong with this approach at an academic institution where athletes are attending on athletic scholarships. Especially in football, basketball, and baseball these students have aspirations to pursue their chosen sport professionally. Why not give them the same structure and work experience that they would face on a professional level? Would be no different than work experience or internships that you have in other areas that are geared to students' vocational interests. Most of the athletes spend enough time at their academic institutions training, practicing, and game prep/film study for their sport that it may as well be a declared minor, if not an outright major.

IMG Academy essentially does this at the high school level. Why not the university?

Advertisement
Back