Opposing teams have not missed a field goal against us yet

Opposing kickers are 18/18 this season on field goal attempts this season.

Is this just bad luck? Or are we not getting enough pressure on kicks allowing opposing kickers to tee off without pressure (and enabling them to kick at lower angles for more distance).

Advertisement

cf3000

All-ACC
Opposing kickers are having their career long kicks against us, while injured and on wet, torn up turf. It's weird. Here's another one, we have 0 defensive TDs. We have no special teams TDs either.

Dan Sileo JR

Band
Banned
You could tell this was driving Richt crazy when they brought it up on his weekly WQAM show. Even that Syracuse kicker slipped and nailed one from like 50 yards out.

If we didn't have Badgley, I think special teams as a whole would be very very disappointing.

Don't get me wrong, I love Coach Hartley, but maybe we can spend that 10th coach spot on a old veteran special teams guy/assistant head coach like the Dolphins have in Darren Rizi. Could provide a lot of insight in game plan coordination as well. Keep Hartley on as TE coach of course.

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
VT's kicker was 13-20 this year and 40% or something in his career from 40+. He nailed a 50 yarder that would have been good from 60+. I turned to my friend just before he kicked and said, "no chance he misses."

canecat

Junior
That has very little to do with us and just speaks how well the other teams have kicked.

LPK2006

Redshirt Freshman
VT's kicker was 13-20 this year and 40% or something in his career from 40+. He nailed a 50 yarder that would have been good from 60+. I turned to my friend just before he kicked and said, "no chance he misses."

That kick was insane. That kick would have broken the NFL record of 64 yards. There was so much room to spare, hell, it might have been good from 70.

Dan Sileo JR

Band
Banned
That has very little to do with us and just speaks how well the other teams have kicked.

Not really. Field goals from 45/50+ yards out need a very low trajectory in order to get through the posts. If you have solid special teams you should be able to tip those from time to time.

TheU1988

It's Not A Lie If You Believe It.

As soon as they gave his stats from 50+ I immediately turned to my buddy and bet him a funneled beer that VT would make the kick.

Advertisement

JefeGringo

Junior
This is usually a recipe for teams that are of the 5-3 variety, not 8-0.

No team has missed a FG against you.

No defensive touchdowns.

No special teams touchdowns.

And we are still unbeaten. The odds of that are staggeringly low. I'd like to see a comparison of the unbeaten teams and I'm willing to be the difference is quite stark.

Torocane

Senior
Opposing kickers are 18/18 this season on field goal attempts this season.

Is this just bad luck? Or are we not getting enough pressure on kicks allowing opposing kickers to tee off without pressure (and enabling them to kick at lower angles for more distance).

Luck. Can't control if the kicker makes it or not. If you can't block it and he gets it off it is out of your hands.
The timing mechanics and technique is the same reguardless of how much presure.