Opponent Film Preview: Florida Gators

Advertisement
great stuff, im sure Manny's all over it, I think Mullen doesnt care that hes showing obvious play calls as long as he gets a certain count in the box, im thinking he kept running against Mich because they probably didnt adjust and put an extra guy in the box, I may be wrong, but those formations are so obvious

Not really, no. That team relied a lot more on superior OL play.

Florida relies on putting your defense in a numbers crunch and misdirection. A big key with them is their slot WR blocks like a TE, but also has the speed to stress your defense in the seam. When you bring an extra defender into the box to balance the numbers with the QB run game they send the slot deep in the seam to stress you.

With lots of time to prepare, Florida will throw some wrinkles into their game plan.

So basically, this type of offense is why we developed the striker position?

Advertisement
Fantastic breakdown. Thank you, posts like this are why I visit this board. Going to be very interesting to see if we can generate that pressure up the middle on Franks and get their offense “out of sync” and behind schedule enough.

Intriguing prediction that I’m going to try to keep track of. We’re certainly *capable* of this especially if their OL has taken a step back from last year.
Our havoc rate last year was just under 25% (side note, havoc rate includes pass defenses so those should also be backed out when looking for negative plays); without taking the time to back out Savannah State to avoid skewing the numbers, this still seems very achievable. Especially in a first game of the season, with a defense that loves to confuse, against a relatively new OL.

Honestly, with improved field position due to special teams, I think we maintain or see a slight uptick in Havoc rate this year. Moral of the story: We roll

great stuff, im sure Manny's all over it, I think Mullen doesnt care that hes showing obvious play calls as long as he gets a certain count in the box, im thinking he kept running against Mich because they probably didnt adjust and put an extra guy in the box, I may be wrong, but those formations are so obvious
Michigan had some key players injured in that game & Mullet went for the obvious.

What team in conference would you compare their offense most similar to? Through watching a good chunk of their games last year I always thought their offense was similar to what Fuente runs are VT. I think Fuente maybe used jet sweep motion more, but both offenses loves running it up the middle, hitting quick passes, and staying ahead of the chains. If you get either behind the sticks then they tend to struggle.

Advertisement
Not really, no. That team relied a lot more on superior OL play.

Florida relies on putting your defense in a numbers crunch and misdirection. A big key with them is their slot WR blocks like a TE, but also has the speed to stress your defense in the seam. When you bring an extra defender into the box to balance the numbers with the QB run game they send the slot deep in the seam to stress you.

With lots of time to prepare, Florida will throw some wrinkles into their game plan.

Hey Lance, Great stuff as always. I was an avid reader of these after each game and I advise posters to read his analysis post games because he hits the nail on the head.

That said, question..that offensive formation that you said UF ran 80% of the time, from the naked eye it looks like a guy like Romeo Finley will play a big role in this game because I assume we wont be able to combat that formation with 4-3 personnel. How crucial is it that we have a Striker who is as experienced and talented as Finley against that formation? Or am I completely wrong here..

Great post. That need to contain the outside edge on the line is exactly why Patchan, and not Hill, is the right choice to start at DE (though Hill will get plenty of snaps). Hill may be the more aggressive, disruptive pass rusher, but Patchan is better against the run and probably less prone to being too aggressive and overrunning a play.

Excellent write-up, as usual. I've been preaching a lot of the same all season. Here's my condensed thoughts:

Franks was literally benched after the Mizzou blowout in late October. Trask was going to start the next game, but he broke his foot in practice, so it was Franks job again. So what did Mullen do? He realized the kid's limitations, and he changed the offense. Look at Franks rushing totals in the first 8 games of the year:

5 for 34
11 for 44
7 for 25
9 for 11
6 for -4
6 for 42
11 for -26
8 for 30
3 for 17

Remember, sacks are rushing attempts for the QB in the college game. But look at those numbers. That's a throwing QB with a few scrambles mixed in. Then the Mizzou game happens, and look at the numbers in the last 4:

16 for 36
2 for 21 (Idaho game they won 100-0, didn't need him to run)
12 for 46
14 for 74 in the bowl game

He had a combined 173 yards in the first 9 games (19.22 per game).

He had a combined 177 yards in the last 4 games (44.25 per game).

Your film study suggests the same. Mullen uses numbers advantages very intelligently. But this offense really started humming when they decided to use Franks as a dedicated runner. 16, 12, and 14 carries were his 3 highest totals of the year, and they all came in the last 4 weeks.

Our edge kids really need to stay disciplined. And when they go heavy and run him using a numbers advantage, our DL needs to get penetration and hit him in the backfield. If he's running 12 times for 5-6 yards a carry, we're going to be in big trouble. Make him beat us with his arm, not with his legs.

Advertisement
Excellent write-up, as usual. I've been preaching a lot of the same all season. Here's my condensed thoughts:

Franks was literally benched after the Mizzou blowout in late October. Trask was going to start the next game, but he broke his foot in practice, so it was Franks job again. So what did Mullen do? He realized the kid's limitations, and he changed the offense. Look at Franks rushing totals in the first 8 games of the year:

5 for 34
11 for 44
7 for 25
9 for 11
6 for -4
6 for 42
11 for -26
8 for 30
3 for 17

Remember, sacks are rushing attempts for the QB in the college game. But look at those numbers. That's a throwing QB with a few scrambles mixed in. Then the Mizzou game happens, and look at the numbers in the last 4:

16 for 36
2 for 21 (Idaho game they won 100-0, didn't need him to run)
12 for 46
14 for 74 in the bowl game

He had a combined 173 yards in the first 9 games (19.22 per game).

He had a combined 177 yards in the last 4 games (44.25 per game).

Your film study suggests the same. Mullen uses numbers advantages very intelligently. But this offense really started humming when they decided to use Franks as a dedicated runner. 16, 12, and 14 carries were his 3 highest totals of the year, and they all came in the last 4 weeks.

Our edge kids really need to stay disciplined. And when they go heavy and run him using a numbers advantage, our DL needs to get penetration and hit him in the backfield. If he's running 12 times for 5-6 yards a carry, we're going to be in big trouble. Make him beat us with his arm, not with his legs.

Great research. Its amazing that when Mullen saw Franks he didn't see his next chance at getting a bigger version of Dak Prescott and try to run Franks as much as he could without getting him hurt. Obviously Dak is better but those rush attempts in the first 8 games are eye opening for a kid who is 6'6 240 and can move.

That said, our defense is perfectly setup for a team who thinks they are going to just run their QB all willy nilly on us and guys like Pinck, Carter, and Finley aren't going to F him up every chance they get. Our D has a few holes but a QB running on us successfully aint one of them.

Advertisement
Great stuff!!!

I appreciate the time you put into this post with a vast football knowledge.
This is "CanesInsight"!!!

Advertisement
Back