One wrinkle I would implement vs Clemson (special teams wrinkle)...

k9cane

Senior
I've seen this done before, but if Miami is sticking with Pope as the punt returner(which ironically makes all of us pray), I would put back a guy that lines up about 10-15 years in front of him. Just so that any short punt, that guy can just be there to fair catch. I don't need to see Pope rush up there, all out of control, muffing another one. Possessions are key in games like this.

To me, every stop vs Clemson (knock on wood) should be treated like a Faberge Egg, they will be at a premium, so you can't have a guy give the ball right back to them after forcing a punt. As far as Im concerned, just get King the ball back and let them go to work. I dont need Devin Hester or even Roscoe Parrish back there, just get me someone who will grab the punt, make good decisions and let the offense do what it does.

Advertisement
10-15 years in front of him? Oh man that guy is going to be somewhere far. Ha ha. Just kidding. All in all I agree. We need to do something different. Pope acts like he has to catch every punt, no matter where its being punted at. If we arent replacing him then put another body there for security.

I've seen this done before, but if Miami is sticking with Pope as the punt returner(which ironically makes all of us pray), I would put back a guy that lines up about 10-15 years in front of him. Just so that any short punt, that guy can just be there to fair catch. I don't need to see Pope rush up there, all out of control, muffing another one. Possessions are key in games like this.

To me, every stop vs Clemson (knock on wood) should be treated like a Faberge Egg, they will be at a premium, so you can't have a guy give the ball right back to them after forcing a punt. As far as Im concerned, just get King the ball back and let them go to work. I dont need Devin Hester or even Roscoe Parrish back there, just get me someone who will grab the punt, make good decisions and let the offense do what it does.
Great call with the Faberge egg haha

10-15 years in front of him? Oh man that guy is going to be somewhere far. Ha ha. Just kidding. All in all I agree. We need to do something different. Pope acts like he has to catch every punt, no matter where its being punted at. If we arent replacing him then put another body there for security.

Lol, yeah, maybe more like 7 to 10 yards in front now that I think about it

Advertisement
Lets be honest tho...If you need to implement this you need a new punt returner.
Exactly remember last year a certain kicker could not make a short field goal. Hey Manny do not wait until it costs you a game.

Advertisement
There were lots of complaints about all the fair catches Berrios would call for, but you had zero worry we would have the ball when all said and done. And Berrios while not a game breaker, avg 16 yards per return his last year? How happy would we be if that was Pope....

Faberge Egg, first instance in my life I've seen that applied in a football post. Somewhere NYStateofMind is smiling.

76a4dc922dd80cf04062061e78b65327.jpg

Advertisement
I personally am giving Pope one last chance to prove himself. He has two weeks to work on his ball security and catching technique. Hopefully he is out there before and after practice for many long hours working on his craft.

If he looks insecure and awkward again after all of that then it is officially over.
No more returns for him in my opinion.

X and Hall the rest of the way.

I personally am giving Pope one last chance to prove himself. He has two weeks to work on his ball security and catching technique. Hopefully he is out there before and after practice for many long hours working on his craft.

If he looks insecure and awkward again after all of that then it is officially over.
No more returns for him in my opinion.

X and Hall the rest of the way.
Decision making needs to improve and unfortunately that will only really come in live game action.

Advertisement
If he lines up for another return the entire staff should be fired on the spot. Ok, maybe not Lashlee, but everyone else just go home immediately.

If he lines up for another return the entire staff should be fired on the spot. Ok, maybe not Lashlee, but everyone else just go home immediately.
Will the staff rely on a true Frosh who has only fielded one punt in his career? A punt that was going out of bounds that he picked up in risky fashion at the last second?

Hall is out for the first half.

Who is next up? Harley?

They have 8 punts in 2 games.
Over/Under on number of punts:
Nice! The way most are talking on here is that Clemp's son is going to do to us what we did to FS-who (offensively). And against FS-poo I think we had 1 punt the whole game ... by our backup punter!

If Baker-baker-19 and the D can hold surfer boy and the misfits to punt 4 or more times, then he did a better job than most here would have thought.

We'll have a game for sure in that scenario!

GO CANES!

Advertisement
Back