One thing that annoys me when Butch Davis is mentioned

nycane

All-ACC
Premium
everyone says "He's an egomaniac" really? the guy fired his best friend. the guy has said over and over he screwed up by leaving Miami. We have a coach now that refuses to change his scheme and has never fired anyone in 10 years. He makes excuse after excuse. Also, lets be real. All great college coaches have huge ego's, thats why they suck in the pros. Nick Saban, Rick Pitino, Capilari, etc all couldnt make it in NFL or NBA but they are dominant in college. I know alot of people dont want butch back, but i feel the opposite. this is destiny.

Advertisement
Why would anyone care if he's egomaniac anyway? You're not marrying him. You just want him to coach your team.

It's not Butch's ego that is in play here, its the ego of donna shalala and the UM board of distrustees. For they are the ones holding a fifteen year grudge. All this **** about, "He lied!!" Big ******* deal. Was that in poor taste? Certainly. But was it worthy of holding a scorned woman's grudge for a decade and a half? At the expense of the success of the program??? Not if you care about winning.

Remember, al golden did the EXACT same thing. The only difference is that golden never got the offer. So really, donna and UM are really just upset that Butch had more market value than al.

It's not Butch's ego that is in play here, its the ego of donna shalala and the UM board of distrustees. For they are the ones holding a fifteen year grudge. All this **** about, "He lied!!" Big ******* deal. Was that in poor taste? Certainly. But was it worthy of holding a scorned woman's grudge for a decade and a half? At the expense of the success of the program??? Not if you care about winning.

Remember, al golden did the EXACT same thing. The only difference is that golden never got the offer. So really, donna and UM are really just upset that Butch had more market value than al.

He revealed the details of his contract recently and he was being screwed. It was something like he had to pay 80% if he left but only got 20% if he was fired. He delayed and even turned down Cleveland for the contract to be fixed. After they wouldn't budge, he took the second offer of 5 million per year and no one can blame him.

Advertisement
It's not Butch's ego that is in play here, its the ego of donna shalala and the UM board of distrustees. For they are the ones holding a fifteen year grudge. All this **** about, "He lied!!" Big ****ing deal. Was that in poor taste? Certainly. But was it worthy of holding a scorned woman's grudge for a decade and a half? At the expense of the success of the program??? Not if you care about winning.

A-f'ing-men

Bring back Butch.

Go Canes!

This admins attitude and past actions toward Butch Davis is why I feel they just don't care at all about the school's athletic programs and will probably eventually shut them all down. It is beyond stupid. (THEY MAKE MONEY, you fools!) Another thing that pizzes me off is why the alumni get so little say in WHO gets elected to the BOT. We should have a VOTE on at least some of the members instead of them just appointing big donors, trust fund babies and other useless azzholes that know nothing about these programs. Other than Kosar (Who's out to five martini lunches most of the time. Love him but let's just face facts.), is ANYONE even in touch with the athletes or the awful state of our men's programs?

Does anyone think Vince Lombardi wasn't an egomaniac? How about Saban and Meyer?

Last edited:
First ... I almost wish we would hire Butch just to end the debate. He'll either turn the program around immediately, or he won't. But the speculation would be over, either way.

Second ... The contract Miami is rumored to have offered was exactly the way it should have been. He should have had to pay big money to break his contract, because he would have been leaving the team for what he viewed as a better opportunity. He could always sign a short-term contract if he wanted to keep his options open.

But firing him "for cause or performance" should not be a big number for the school. It's what most people griping about Golden still being here are so ****ed about ... "Why is his rumored buyout so high?"

Butch screwed Miami when he left. And as karma would have it, he doesn't get his full due for building the best college team of all time.

To me, that's a steep penalty ... His debt is paid. If he wants the gig, hire him. Give him a 3-year contract, and if he's not in the ACCCG by year 3, find a new coach.

And on topic ... I think the HC should have an ego and demonstrated results to back it up. Because anyone who thinks our current HC doesn't have an ego is not really paying attention.

butch saved this program from the oblivion. people forget how bad it was. he didnt even have full rosters.

Advertisement
Holden's an ego maniac he just sucks. He thinks whatever he's trying to do will or has worked. I'll take my chances with Davis over goldens side car ridin ***.

List of Ego-Maniacs:

Urban Meyer
Nick Saban
Mark Danotonio
Gary Patterson
Art Briles
Les Miles

Literally every head football coach in America that is any good. And most of the crappy ones too.

Sign me up for an egomaniac that knows how to win.

By the time we get around to actually considering him the word geriatric will be more relevant. If (when?) this season goes to **** then good ol' Paul Davis needs to go public and say he'll work on a year-to-year contract initially. Force their hand (as much as one can). Make them too afraid of the blowback from not bringing him back.

Advertisement
THe last thing in the world the BOT and administration wants is a return to great football program. Since hiring Butch is the closest thing to a guarantee of that, they don't want to hire him. Three crap coaches in a row make their true desires clear. They want the crap we have.

Holden's an ego maniac he just sucks. He thinks whatever he's trying to do will or has worked. I'll take my chances with Davis over goldens side car ridin ***.

Kinda think Golden might have a few screws loose. As Dr. Einstein said, "Doing the same thing over and over again (thinking that this time it'll work) is the definition of insanity".

Does Goldie think he knows more than Dr. Einstein? If so, he's either an egomaniac or an egomoron (and a headcase). You decide.

Advertisement
Butch wants back in & will come relatively cheap...... considering they must pay Al thats a consideration
first things first..... hire an effective AD and let him make the call ...... haven't we had enough presidential meddling
would kill to have Butch but we'll see

I looked all over for the link but I swear Butch said he would come back to Miami on an incentive laden contract just to prove himself.

Donna, Flake "Peg Me Please" James, and Albert "Sneak off to PSU" Gorlden had entirely different plans for the kids on the football team.

Advertisement
Back