On Jared Harrison-Hunte and Jayden Wayne...

View as article

This is the scoop on Jared Harrison-Hunte and Jayden Wayne after discussions with numerous sources:

I've always been a Jared Harrison-Hunte fan and believe he's a good player. In my opinion, he was better than Leonard Taylor last year. He was also a very personable and sharp young man from my dealings with him. His departure seems to have come down to two factors.

First, Harrison-Hunte was one of Manny's first signees as head coach (Class of 2019) and flirted with the Portal several times since he's been here. It seems he never fully bought in to the culture. Second, and more importantly, Miami believes it can upgrade in terms of size and ability in the Portal. One DT is more likely, but two DTs are possible if it's the right two. Ahmad Moten is an internal name that's being counted on to step up.

To me, this move will be judged by what Miami does in the Portal. If the staff upgrades at DT, we are a better team. If they don't, we take a step back in a must-win season. Jared Harrison-Hunte was going to help us this year.

Wayne's situation is a little different. His development was slower than you'd like for a high-value, Top 100 recruit. He was never a pure rusher and, despite a good work ethic and good size/speed traits, it hasn't clicked for him yet. The fact that Cole McConathy started in the spring game and Marquise Lightfoot flashed so much is telling. That said, I think Wayne can be a good player with a smart transfer and continued development.

As we've been saying for weeks, I expect Miami to add a veteran DE who is an immediate upgrade at the position. The goal is to win right now.

To those who have been critical of development, I get it. IMO, the transfer-heavy nature of the defense is the result of subpar recruiting at DL and DB. These are things we all discussed in realtime. DL seems to have corrected with last year's haul, which was the best in the nation. We have a new defensive back coach. In the short-term, those positions are going to lean heavily on the Portal.
So we got rid of Addae for subpar recruiting. When we getting rid of coach Joe for subpar DL recruiting? Moten name was non existent in any update from any insider and gore was taking snaps in front of him yet staff is counting on him?. Sounds like DT should be #1 priority in portal

Advertisement
"Second, and more importantly, Miami believes it can upgrade in terms of size and ability in the Portal."

This comment sort of insinuates he was pushed out. Why couldn't we upgrade the position and keep him? JHH was likely going to be the 2nd starter no matter who we bring in.

If need spots available, why not cut Gore? If what the staff is trying to do is upgrade in "size and ability"
Seems like a "push out" with a name already in mind, unless it was well known that he was leaving.

Last edited:
It is closer to fantasy football than free agency.
season 8 barnacle face GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Tell that to the coaches, players, agents and personnel guys who use the same analogy.

We can talk about reality, or we can pretend it’s fantasy football.

I believe being realistic everyone knows what the game has transformed into. We have a cap and we're moving pieces around to make space.

JHH - Mid DT asking for more that can be upgraded. Released

Wayne - Solid Young DE with huge cap number. Passed by other DE's with lower cap number. Unfortunately doesn't make sense to keep him.

Advertisement
JHH seemed to flash alot at times. But if hes threatening to divorce us every offseason only to come creeping back into the house with the suitcase at 4am pretending like nothing happened...then good riddance. I know one offseason there was ALOT of rumors that he was portaling out. I think it was two offseasons ago. At this point, the DL room belongs to Rueben Bain and whoever thinks otherwise or doesnt like it...can go. We dont need anyone poisoning the minds of the young DL who have a world of potential.

Wayne...it is what it is..Its unfortunate. I wonder if Bain didnt go Ape$hit last season if things would have been a different. But the pressure for Wayne to perform went through the roof and I think he wilted under it. It happens. Good luck to the kid.

Been underwhelmed with Mario and the portal so far but you land Ward, Martinez, Brown, and a legit DT/DE and I’ll tell all the lies
I hope he’s properly back channeled and has something lined up. He’s made some decent pulls at nearly every position but DT/DE.

Support this statement like a grown up. What are the facts that back up your confident declaration?
Free agency has legally binding contracts. You can not sign with a team then renegotiate 3 months later on the open market. Free agency has cap limitations. Every team operates on the same financial scale. College programs operate based off how much money they raise. Free agency has a designated time period once contracts toll. In college players can negotiate year round as they see fit. The NFL punishes for Tampering during free agaency. In college tampering is the most significant way to upgrade roster. If NIL was constructed like free agency it would be a much smoother process. Other than players being paid what similarities are you finding?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Is there even any traction for a visit on the DL?

Not many options to even add a guy that can contribute, let alone upgrade at DE or DT at the moment. Rene Konga from Rutgers could be a fill for JHH but not an upgrade. Healthy, he's a good player at a similar size and more strength. Barrow, Brandon Lane, and the kid from TCU would be an upgrade. Not sure I'd call the kid from Kent State an upgrade.

At DE - Tapp from Texas could replace Wayne. Not really sure there's another. Maybe the kid from FAMU but he's not getting traction anywhere due to grades and credits transferring.

Are we just fingers crossed or "expecting" someone new to hit the portal at those positions?

Free agency has legally binding contracts. You can not sign with a team then renegotiate 3 months later on the open market. Free agency cap limitations. Every team operates on the same financial scale. College programs operate of how much money they raise. , Free agency has a designated time period once contracts toll. In college players can negotiate year round as they see fit. The NFL punishes for Tampering during free agaency. In college tampering is the most significant way to upgrade roster. If NIL was constructed like free agency it would be a much smoother process. Other than players being paid what similarities are you finding?
NIL doesn’t have contracts? The portal doesn’t have time limits? Tampering is legal and open? Agents don’t backchannel in the NFL?

The one thing I agree with is that there is no salary cap. It comes down to how much money we can raise. So to those who have concerns about DT, I encourage you to sign up at www.CanesConnection.com with promo code “CIS” for 20% off the first month.

@DMoney why does it seem we consistently don't develop certain positions? DT, CB, LB. We keep hearing guys aren't developing. OL used to be on that list. It seems it's been an issue over several different coaches and staffs. Is it more of a lack of recruiting those positions or lack of developing?
Bc UM hasn’t been recruiting those positions very well.

NIL doesn’t have contracts? The portal doesn’t have time limits? Tampering is legal and open? Agents don’t backchannel in the NFL?

The one thing I agree with is that there is no salary cap. It comes down to how much money we can raise. So to those who have concerns about DT, I encourage you to sign up at www.CanesConnection.com with promo code “CIS” for 20% off the first month.
So maybe it's more like MLB free agency without the salary cap. 🤷‍♂️

I do agree something needs to be done about the frequency. One transfer between seasons. You transfer in the winter, you can't do it again til the following winter without sitting out. These guys bouncing multiple times is a problem.

Advertisement
So we got rid of Addae for subpar recruiting. When we getting rid of coach Joe for subpar DL recruiting? Moten name was non existent in any update from any insider and gore was taking snaps in front of him yet staff is counting on him?. Sounds like DT should be #1 priority in portal
We literally just signed the #1 DL class in America

We have one of the best DE trios in the nation right now. We also want a really good 4th guy that can help us win the ACC.
As I have said repeatedly….Mesidor is dope when healthy but seems constantly hurt and that DE depth chart gets scary real quick if either he or Bain goes down.

Advertisement
JHH was better than Leonard Taylor last year.

But like others have stated...they want to improve r upgrade size....YET.......... grab guys like Gore, Branson Deen, and now Marley Cook out of the portal.

Their actions dont compute to that.

JHH likely didnt fully get along with COach Joe, and likely was an Nil casualty of him trying to leverage them currently.

Wayne i get...if he isnt a ton above incoming freshman and at his likely price...you concede.

I personally dont currently see an upgrade to JHH in the portal....he likely becomes a hot commodity in there. Wayne i think we can add a guy with length we will be ok.

Advertisement
Back