On another note: Tonight on EPIXHD, Ed Reed and Reggie Wayne

Advertisement
Advertisement
Be interesting to see how similar or different folks would be in picking their all time UM teams.

CB: Rolle, McNeil? Not sure who I put 2, but Rolle is on it for me

S: Reed, Taylor, apology to Blades, DDub

LB: Lewis, Morgan, D. Smith (can’t go all ILB)

DE: Hendricks, Edwards (Stubbs)

DT: Brown, Sapp (Kennedy, Maryland, Wilfork sorry)

OL: McKinnie, Harrah, Searcy, Myers, Otto

TE: Shockey

WR: Irvin, Wayne (E. Brown)

RB: Edge

FB: Foreman

QB: Kelly

Ret: Hester

@Ethnicsands Too much talent at some positions. No love for Andre Johnson at WR? Bubba Franks at TE?

I’ve always wondered, what if Gore had never gotten hurt at Miami? We only caught a glimpse how great he was pre-injury. He might, just might, have surpassed Edge. Gore was unique to me, there’s no one I watched before him that made me say “Frank runs like him”. At least to me.

And, I’ll always put Ottis Anderson at RB #1 because was such a beast on such awful teams. Top 10 pick. Imagine him playing 6-8 years later in the 1980s era! No disrespect to Highsmith or Bratton or Gary, but...

Advertisement
I'm gonna get downvoted for saying this, but I'm tired of re-living the past. The days of Ed Reed and Ken Dorsey, or whatever era you became a fan, are long gone and are never coming back. There was a time when I used to like re-watching old Canes games. But I stopped because longing for the good ole' days is pathetic and it's what old people do.

Miami is basically Pitt. We had our time, but that time is over. Forever.

@Ethnicsands Too much talent at some positions. No love for Andre Johnson at WR? Bubba Franks at TE?

I’ve always wondered, what if Gore had never gotten hurt at Miami? We only caught a glimpse how great he was pre-injury. He might, just might, have surpassed Edge. Gore was unique to me, there’s no one I watched before him that made me say “Frank runs like him”. At least to me.

And, I’ll always put Ottis Anderson at RB #1 because was such a beast on such awful teams. Top 10 pick. Imagine him playing 6-8 years later in the 1980s era! No disrespect to Highsmith or Bratton or Gary, but...
So that's what makes it interesting/fun. My criteria were heavily play at UM but biased by NFL outcomes for sure, and tried to use collegiate positions (Hendricks at DE vs. LB in NFL).

I love Andre Johnson. I think Irvin and Wayne were my top 2. The next two are clearly Dre and Eddie Brown. Folks these days don't remember the '80s well. Eddie Brown was a HOF caliber guy whose NFL career got shortened with injuries. But he was an electric player and carved out the UM receive spot before a lot of the guys who claim the role even got here. Plus, Brown offers a different style from Irvin/Wayne. Thought AJ was a different tool in the kit

Franks was as great TE. I had to pick one and IMO Shockey gets it for both title in college and NFL performance thereafter. I could buy that Franks gets back up spot.

I can understand the what if re gore, but I didn't want to upset the discussion with that. At UM, he wasn't that good. Great NFL career. But I left out Medearis, who was on path to greatness when injuries ended his career. At UM, It's Edge, then Ottis A., Portis, Maybe McGahee; at FB, it's Chuck Foreman. Chuck Foreman. Yes, Chuck Foreman.

Great discussion because we have some HOFers playing second team.

So that's what makes it interesting/fun. My criteria were heavily play at UM but biased by NFL outcomes for sure, and tried to use collegiate positions (Hendricks at DE vs. LB in NFL).

I love Andre Johnson. I think Irvin and Wayne were my top 2. The next two are clearly Dre and Eddie Brown. Folks these days don't remember the '80s well. Eddie Brown was a HOF caliber guy whose NFL career got shortened with injuries. But he was an electric player and carved out the UM receive spot before a lot of the guys who claim the role even got here. Plus, Brown offers a different style from Irvin/Wayne. Thought AJ was a different tool in the kit

Franks was as great TE. I had to pick one and IMO Shockey gets it for both title in college and NFL performance thereafter. I could buy that Franks gets back up spot.

I can understand the what if re gore, but I didn't want to upset the discussion with that. At UM, he wasn't that good. Great NFL career. But I left out Medearis, who was on path to greatness when injuries ended his career. At UM, It's Edge, then Ottis A., Portis, Maybe McGahee; at FB, it's Chuck Foreman. Chuck Foreman. Yes, Chuck Foreman.

Great discussion because we have some HOFers playing second team.
All good points. Fun discussions.

And yes, a lot of fans forget Chuck Foreman since he played in the awful early 70s. I think with Dennis Harrah, might be wrong.

Advertisement
Be interesting to see how similar or different folks would be in picking their all time UM teams.

CB: Rolle, McNeil? Not sure who I put 2, but Rolle is on it for me

S: Reed, Taylor, apology to Blades, DDub

LB: Lewis, Morgan, D. Smith (can’t go all ILB)

DE: Hendricks, Edwards (Stubbs)

DT: Brown, Sapp (Kennedy, Maryland, Wilfork sorry)

OL: McKinnie, Harrah, Searcy, Myers, Otto

TE: Shockey

WR: Irvin, Wayne (E. Brown)

RB: Edge

FB: Foreman

QB: Kelly

Ret: Hester

I think 9 times out of 10, any "All time great" UM list by a fan will greatly be dependent on their age.

Advertisement
I'm gonna get downvoted for saying this, but I'm tired of re-living the past. The days of Ed Reed and Ken Dorsey, or whatever era you became a fan, are long gone and are never coming back. There was a time when I used to like re-watching old Canes games. But I stopped because longing for the good ole' days is pathetic and it's what old people do.

Miami is basically Pitt. We had our time, but that time is over. Forever.
Maybe you should find something else to do with your time if that is how you feel.

I wondered the same thing about McGahee. Imagine what he would have done to the NFL had he not gotten injured. He was still dam good after the injury but pre injury he was arguably the best back in the country.

Advertisement
Back