Omier injury (UPDATE: PLAYING VS DRAKE)

The ride is over, gentlemen. Or is it? Ghey Bilas has officially picked Drake to beat us....but then is kinda picking us to beat Houston if Omier gets healthy. God. Dookies are effing annoying. I blame that school for all of Kyrie's opinions and theories.

View attachment 232815

Bilas is the absolute worst. I remember his list of 10 best coaches in March released last year… a list that included Bruce Pearl and excluded Coach L. He’s a front-running sanctimonious windbag.

This prediction is as good of an omen as anything.

Advertisement
The ride is over, gentlemen. Or is it? Ghey Bilas has officially picked Drake to beat us....but then is kinda picking us to beat Houston if Omier gets healthy. God. Dookies are effing annoying. I blame that school for all of Kyrie's opinions and theories.

View attachment 232815

That's an extremely logical and reasonable take...

If Omier is healthy, we're legit Final 4 contenders. If he's not, we may be in trouble.

What's so crazy about that? The fact we're all following this thread closely suggests we all agree. If Walker were the one who sprained his ankle, this thread probably wouldn't even exist. But we all know how important Omier is.

That's an extremely logical and reasonable take...

If Omier is healthy, we're legit Final 4 contenders. If he's not, we may be in trouble.

What's so crazy about that? The fact we're all following this thread closely suggests we all agree. If Walker were the one who sprained his ankle, this thread probably wouldn't even exist. But we all know how important Omier is.

We can’t possibly be Final 4 contenders… KenPom said so himself.

Also, if you can’t beat a 4 guard mid major team missing one big… you’re not a final 4 quality team.

If Bilas really believes Drake is better than Miami without Omier, his talk of Miami being a final 4 quality team with Omier is BS. OTOH he could be making an upset pick that he believes is less than 50% probable just as a dramatic flier.

But even setting all that aside… Bilas is a front-running windbag who literally picked Bruce Pearl as a better coach than Coach L.

Also, if you can’t beat a 4 guard mid major team missing one big… you’re not a final 4 quality team.

If Bilas really believes Drake is better than Miami without Omier, his talk of Miami being a final 4 quality team with Omier is BS. OTOH he could be making an upset pick that he believes is less than 50% probable just as a dramatic flier.

But even setting all that aside… Bilas is a front-running windbag who literally picked Bruce Pearl as a better coach than Coach L.

i like the why Bilas calls games, he does a good job of explaining what is going on. his opinions on anything miami, however, he can stick up his **** wrapped around a heavily splintered extra large baseball bat.

****, that's llogical on like every possible front lol.

Was UVA a Final 4 quality team in 2018? Absolutely - the same exact roster won the title the next year. Upsets happen in basketball, especially when teams are forced to play without key players. How about UConn in 2006, when they lost to midmajor in the Elite 8? They were 1 basket away from the Final 4, so yes, obviously they were. It's very possible we can get to the Final 4, just like it's possible we can lose to Drake.

He said on a podcast that he wasn't confidently picking Drake, but upsets happen and they're unpredictable, and with Omier out, we're vulnerable. Seems reasonable.

Did you watch the game Friday? He complemented us repeatedly. There were a bunch of times he praised L for brilliant play calls (the Miller and-1 stands out as a time he was especially effusive). He's been very complementary of our program.

He is a front runner - because elite teams usually win. KU won the title last year. Baylor is not a blue blood but was the #2 team all year long and had been a top 10 program for a decade; they won the year before KU. UVA, which had been a 1 side many times the prior years, won the title before that. Villanova, a recent champion, won the year before that. UNC, a blue blood, won the year before that. It makes perfect sense to favor elite teams/programs in college basketball. Underdogs almost never win big.

Who gives a crap about some random list he put out a year ago? Do you losers comb through every piece of internet content, looking for slights, and then never let them go? Honestly, that's pretty pathetic. People have opinions and they change over time. Pearl is a great coach in his own right, whether or not he's better than L.

Correct, Kenpom isn't always right, so it needs to be totally discarded. On a related note, can you give me your Final 4 for this year? That way if you're wrong we all know that any opinion you have ever had is also trash. (That's how it works, right?)

Advertisement
i like the why Bilas calls games, he does a good job of explaining what is going on. his opinions on anything miami, however, he can stick up his **** wrapped around a heavily splintered extra large baseball bat.

To be clear, when he refers to us as one of the most well-coached and most dangerous offensive teams in the country, should he also stick that opinion up his *** wrapped around a heavily splintered extra large baseball bat?

To be clear, when he refers to us as one of the most well-coached and most dangerous offensive teams in the country, should he also stick that opinion up his *** wrapped around a heavily splintered extra large baseball bat?

no, only those opinions that are biased because as a Duke grad it burns his *** to see miami the football school competing with and beating duke over the last 5-7 years.

no, only those ogot itpinions that are biased because as a Duke grad it burns his *** to see miami the football school competing with and beating duke over the last 5-7 years.

Lol ok, got it.

-Opinions you agree with = you're cool with
-Opinions you disagree with = the other person must be biased

Why are message boards like this...

I think drake can beat Miami without Omier. They’re a good and well coached team. And they’re healthy. It’s that time of the year. I 100% get what he means. If Miami beats drake and gets my cougs with no sasser Miami would be who I expect to win (although it’s still no gimme)

Advertisement
Last edited:
Personally I like Bilas as an analyst and just because he picked against the Canes makes him bad? If we don't have Omier we are in trouble. Bilas has spoken highly of the Canes many times this year.
No Omier and Miami is a totally different squad

Lol ok, got it.

-Opinions you agree with = you're cool with
-Opinions you disagree with = the other person must be biased

Why are message boards like this...

Punch Hit GIF by The X Factor

Advertisement
If Gtech Miami shows up our great season ends early...and some will find someone or something to blame but in the end it was just an incident that happens. But if we can get off to a good start and avoid that "oh man we need Omier" moment we should be good. Its 2023...on any given night almost anything can happen in this tourney. **** I watched UMBC beat UVA in a 16 vs 1. Lehigh beat Duke in a 15 vs 2.

Hopefully the sprain is getting better each day and even if he doesnt play because he still hobbling, we get the W and he gets 48 more hours of rehab and rest. Maybe can give us 20 minutes vs IU...which psychologically would likely be an enormous boost

@Empirical Cane @RVACane @TheOriginalCane

can you send this guy the memo about how university sports centric message boards operate?

Yeahhh...that porster continually acts like he's "keepin' it real" by ****-talking UM and telling us how Kenpom should be used to predict and regulate all human behavior forevermore...

You know me. I'm honest. I'm also prone to seeing the upside. I knew that the the Omier injury would impact us, yet I was pleasantly surprised by the way in which we played close (within 2 points late in the game) even without Norchad.

So I'm not crying about the Drake matchup. I think we can win it, with or without the big guy putting up YET ANOTHER double-double.

But none of that explains ALLoverCANES lengthy and unsettling defenses of a Dookie, as well as his master's (Ken Pomeroy's) statistical model.

@ALLoverCANE , if you are as smart as you think you are, look around and read the room. If you want to find a Stats Chat website for your nonsense, please do so. But for the next few days, it's time to be a bit partisan and root for the team you claim to support, regardless of what Ken Pomeroy predicts for any matchups.

You're on CanesInsight. Not KenPomInsight.

****, that's llogical on like every possible front lol.

Was UVA a Final 4 quality team in 2018? Absolutely - the same exact roster won the title the next year. Upsets happen in basketball, especially when teams are forced to play without key players. How about UConn in 2006, when they lost to midmajor in the Elite 8? They were 1 basket away from the Final 4, so yes, obviously they were. It's very possible we can get to the Final 4, just like it's possible we can lose to Drake.

He said on a podcast that he wasn't confidently picking Drake, but upsets happen and they're unpredictable, and with Omier out, we're vulnerable. Seems reasonable.

Did you watch the game Friday? He complemented us repeatedly. There were a bunch of times he praised L for brilliant play calls (the Miller and-1 stands out as a time he was especially effusive). He's been very complementary of our program.

He is a front runner - because elite teams usually win. KU won the title last year. Baylor is not a blue blood but was the #2 team all year long and had been a top 10 program for a decade; they won the year before KU. UVA, which had been a 1 side many times the prior years, won the title before that. Villanova, a recent champion, won the year before that. UNC, a blue blood, won the year before that. It makes perfect sense to favor elite teams/programs in college basketball. Underdogs almost never win big.

Who gives a crap about some random list he put out a year ago? Do you losers comb through every piece of internet content, looking for slights, and then never let them go? Honestly, that's pretty pathetic. People have opinions and they change over time. Pearl is a great coach in his own right, whether or not he's better than L.

Correct, Kenpom isn't always right, so it needs to be totally discarded. On a related note, can you give me your Final 4 for this year? That way if you're wrong we all know that any opinion you have ever had is also trash. (That's how it works, right?)

Now I see why you can’t understand the deficiencies of metric based ranking systems. You just spent 3 paragraphs explaining how picking a team to win is apparently the same as saying an underdog has a chance of winning.

And “comb through every piece of internet content, looking for slights”??

What is wrong with you? Really? That I have a problem with Bilas hyping and lavishing praise on mediocre coaches and cheaters… to the exclusion of Coach L? Get a life man - I didn’t comb through anything but I saw it and heard it live last year and remembered it.

Finally, do you know what picking a team to win means? That you think they are more likely to win the game. Not that they have a chance to win the game or could pull off an upset.

Of course it’s possible that we could lose to Drake. Someone might even think that Drake has a 49% chance of winning. That still doesn’t equate to picking Drake to win.

Your point about UVA is idiotic. Picking UMBC was not a smart pick - it was a lucky pick. Same level of intelligence as winning at the roulette table.

And it is equally idiotic to say we’ll most likely lose to a smallish mid-major team with one big out… but would be a final four contender with the big healthy.

I know exactly how important Omier is to the team, but if we’re good enough to be a final four team with him, we’re good enough to beat a decent mid-major team without him.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Now I see why you can’t understand the deficiencies of metric based ranking systems. You just spent 3 paragraphs explaining how picking a team to win is apparently the same as saying an underdog has a chance of winning.

And “comb through every piece of internet content, looking for slights”??

What is wrong with you? Really? That I have a problem with Bilas hyping and lavishing praise on mediocre coaches and cheaters… to the exclusion of Coach L? Get a life man - I didn’t comb through anything but I saw it and heard it live last year and remembered it.

Finally, do you know what picking a team to win means? That you think they are more likely to win the game. Not that they have a chance to win the game or could pull off an upset.

Of course it’s possible that we could lose to Drake. Someone might even think that Drake has a 49% chance of winning. That still doesn’t equate to picking Drake to win.

Your point about UVA is idiotic. Picking UMBC was not a smart pick - it was a lucky pick. Same level of intelligence as winning at the roulette table.

And it is equally idiotic to say we’ll most likely lose to a smallish mid-major team with one big out… but would be a final four contender with the big healthy.

I know exactly how important Omier is to the team, but if we’re good enough to be a final four team with him, we’re good enough to beat a decent mid-major team without him.

You're contradicting yourself. Either UVA was a Final 4 caliber team or they weren't. You said that outcome was unlucky - so it sounds like you think they were Final 4 good. They were the #1 overall seed and won the title the next year with the same roster, after all...But somehow you think we can't be Final 4 good and potentially lose to a really good mid-major if we're not at full strength? That just doesn't make sense. You either believe Final 4 caliber teams can be derailed by a fluky result or you don't.

And you couldn't be more wrong about this:

"Someone might even think that Drake has a 49% chance of winning. That still doesn’t equate to picking Drake to win."

I'm not going to bother to dive into why, because you can just Google it yourself if you actually care about learning. But in summary, expected win probability is only one factor in deciding who to pick in each matchup.

If you don't get that...well, whatever. You're just some anonymous keyboard warrior on an internet message board so think what you want.

Go Canes

Yeahhh...that porster continually acts like he's "keepin' it real" by ****-talking UM and telling us how Kenpom should be used to predict and regulate all human behavior forevermore...

You know me. I'm honest. I'm also prone to seeing the upside. I knew that the the Omier injury would impact us, yet I was pleasantly surprised by the way in which we played close (within 2 points late in the game) even without Norchad.

So I'm not crying about the Drake matchup. I think we can win it, with or without the big guy putting up YET ANOTHER double-double.

But none of that explains ALLoverCANES lengthy and unsettling defenses of a Dookie, as well as his master's (Ken Pomeroy's) statistical model.

@ALLoverCANE , if you are as smart as you think you are, look around and read the room. If you want to find a Stats Chat website for your nonsense, please do so. But for the next few days, it's time to be a bit partisan and root for the team you claim to support, regardless of what Ken Pomeroy predicts for any matchups.

You're on CanesInsight. Not KenPomInsight.

Nah. Feel free to ignore me, though. Tks

You're contradicting yourself. Either UVA was a Final 4 caliber team or they weren't. You said that outcome was unlucky - so it sounds like you think they were Final 4 good. They were the #1 overall seed and won the title the next year with the same roster, after all...But somehow you think we can't be Final 4 good and potentially lose to a really good mid-major if we're not at full strength? That just doesn't make sense. You either believe Final 4 caliber teams can be derailed by a fluky result or you don't.

And you couldn't be more wrong about this:

"Someone might even think that Drake has a 49% chance of winning. That still doesn’t equate to picking Drake to win."

I'm not going to bother to dive into why, because you can just Google it yourself if you actually care about learning. But in summary, expected win probability is only one factor in deciding who to pick in each matchup.

If you don't get that...well, whatever. You're just some anonymous keyboard warrior on an internet message board so think what you want.

Go Canes

You’re really a dunderhead. I’m not talking about analytic based win probabilities. I’m saying if I think team A is less likely to win (49% or less in my personal assessment of who is likely to win the one game to be played), then I don’t pick team A to win. If I think team B is more likely to win (51% or more in my personal assessment of who is likely to win the one game being played), I pick team B.

You’re apparently trying to justify someone PICKING A TEAM TO WIN THAT THEY DON’T ACTUALLY THINK IS GOING TO WIN.

This post is about Omier’s injury status - go argue idiotic points with someone else.

Edit: and oh my goodness is your point about UVA dumb. Of course they were a F4 quality team in 2018. And picking UMBC in 2018 was like throwing chips on 13 at the roulette table. That has NOTHING TO DO with picking Drake to beat Miami. Of course Drake could beat Miami. You don’t pick a team to win because you think it is possible for them to win (unless you’re a fan or hater or sensationalist). You pick a team to win because you think they are actually going to win (ie you think they are more likely to win under the circumstances of the particular game to be played). Now go back to worshipping Bilas on Twitter in hope of getting a mention or reply.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back