Omier injury (UPDATE: PLAYING VS DRAKE)

Yeah I didn’t think there was a snowballs chance in south Florida of him playing this weekend… but it sounds better than I had feared.
You mean playing the second round game on Sunday or do you mean Friday? I don't see how he can play this weekend based on the severity of how it looked but I could be wrong. I think the second weekend is more likely if we can make it that far.

Advertisement
We will have to have the mindset that we will play the next two games without Omeir. If he recovers enough to play Sunday, it's a bonus.

That he’s able to walk on it.

Scooter is to limit load and a steps while they’re trying to accelerate recovery.

I believe Coach L was straight up in the interview. They’re hoping for him to play but nobody knows - and probably nobody will know - for sure until Thursday.
Best news is Miami is on spring break so he can camp in the training room and rehab it fulltime this week.

Advertisement
You mean playing the second round game on Sunday or do you mean Friday? I don't see how he can play this weekend based on the severity of how it looked but I could be wrong. I think the second weekend is more likely if we can make it that far.

They really don’t know… but he’s not ruled out for Friday (yet, at least).

Drake is good and a tough matchup without our most indispensable player (not best but indispensable because of the lack of a quality sub).
IU is better than Drake.
We have a tough task ahead of us. Coach L may have to make some drastic changes in playing style to survive this, like run a full court press. I don’t think we can win both, much less one of these games, just rolling the ball out and playing as we have all season.
All season many of us were pushing for Casey to get more minutes and this is why. Maybe he wasn’t/isn’t ready but we all saw the problem.

Advertisement
Drake is good and a tough matchup without our most indispensable player (not best but indispensable because of the lack of a quality sub).
IU is better than Drake.
We have a tough task ahead of us. Coach L may have to make some drastic changes in playing style to survive this, like run a full court press. I don’t think we can win both, much less one of these games, just rolling the ball out and playing as we have all season.
All season many of us were pushing for Casey to get more minutes and this is why. Maybe he wasn’t/isn’t ready but we all say the problem.
Said in another thread Drake gives me Loyola vibes. I was harping on Casey and Watson getting more minutes for moments like this. I didn't think Beverly could give us more than 7 minutes a game so that's why I said Watson needs more pt but I was wrong. Beverly has been solid for us. We all knew Walker is useless and it wouldn't get better so that's my only beef I have with Coach L on why Casey didn't get more time especially in non conference.

IU is better than Drake.
All season many of us were pushing for Casey to get more minutes and this is why. Maybe he wasn’t/isn’t ready but we all saw the problem.
i like the full court press because with miami's quickness and intensity it is likely to produce results. the only issue is you need some depth and we certainly don't have that with only 2 reserve guards.

Said in another thread Drake gives me Loyola vibes. I was harping on Casey and Watson getting more minutes for moments like this. I didn't think Beverly could give us more than 7 minutes a game so that's why I said Watson needs more pt but I was wrong. Beverly has been solid for us. We all knew Walker is useless and it wouldn't get better so that's my only beef I have with Coach L on why Casey didn't get more time especially in non conference.

Loyola is much better than Drake.

Obviously I'd like Omier to play, but they don't seem like the type of team that can really exploit our lack of depth inside.

IU is a totally different story...

Advertisement
I think we have to try to play Omier in round 2 on sunday assuming we beat Drake on Friday. There is essentially 0 chance we can beat Indiana with no reliable big man inside. It would take a borderline miracle. We would have to roll the dice and hope omier can play at 60-70% and doesn't reinjure it.

I still think we should play Casey more than walker due to the obvious but not sure Coach L sees it that way with the discrepancy in experience. Walker is just a liability out there. Plain and simple.

We need to bring in another portal big man in for next year and assume the worst with Casey, and Favour aire.

Not trying to minimize the danger of playing a team like Drake. They beat a couple of tourney teams in ULL and Miss St. earlier in the year but the MVC was a fairly meh mid-major conference this year. Darnell Brodie is a decent big but he's not even in the same zip code as Trace Jackson-Davis.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back