Omier enters name in NBA draft(commits to Baylor)

Glad he didn't go to Louisville or Clemson.

Shoulda def gone to St John's. Playing for Pitino, many games in MSG, he woulda gotten "seen" so much more than in Waco, where he'll toil in relative obscurity.

Wonder what the 'development' reference was all about? With the guys we brought in he could have played the 4, if he feels that was/is his 'natural' position.

Advertisement
Feels like a gut punch to be honest. Really good college player who became a household name at Miami, and was key in making teams first final 4.

I know all the basketball experts on this board will come back with some retort, but I feel like we traded Lynn Kidd for Norchad Omier, and we came out on the short end of that.

Top ten in all time wins. We play in the Mecca. Pitino is the coach. Mike Repole is our "Life Wallet" and he is backing Rick financially.

Word around the campfire is he is a fringe 2nd round / UD player, and can benefit from another year of development.

Playing under Coach L and Pitino is as good as it gets. So hopefully he commits to us, and develops into an NBA (most likely solid Euro) llayer, and we can all reminisce on his days playing CBB.

You arguably got the best years out of him with the elite eight and final four runs.

It's our turn, sir.

Check this piece out:

If you are ****ed about Omier, how you think seton hall feels about (Brooklyn's own) Kadary Richmond?

New era... money talks and walks.
My daughter is a Seton Hall alum and she isn't happy about all the transfers - especially Kadary. Dylan Addae-Wusu transferred to SHU from St Johns last year and I believe he was one of their better players. This constant transferring is a bit ridiculous.

Advertisement
It wasn’t the money. L. O. L.

Unfortunate way to part with a great player.
Money was the sole reason he left Miami. He was asking for a reic
He wanted NIL he wasn’t going to get at Miami. This was 100% financially driven. If Miami would have paid what Baylor is paying he’d still be here. That was known before he entered the portal.
This. Miami offered him a generous deal. Omier wouldnt budge off a significantly higher number and it was Miami that ultimately cut ties to pursue other options. I dont know the Baylor deal. For all i know it could be on par with Miami's offer but we had already moved on.

Wish him well, but of all of the transfers out that we've seen in football and basketball the last few years, this one hurts by far the most. At least for me.
This one will hurt people's head because they won't be able to spin it other than the money play...

Lost a good all around Cane. Next. Build a tourney team and let's roll...

But they haven't made it out of the 2nd round since.

He'd have just as much of a chance of winning a title at those other schools as he would at Baylor.
"Since" is 3 years lol. Idk. Baylor has had an incredible offseason and Scott Drew is as good a coach as there is. Those other 3 schools have each taken heavy losses.

Advertisement
He wanted NIL he wasn’t going to get at Miami. This was 100% financially driven. If Miami would have paid what Baylor is paying he’d still be here. That was known before he entered the portal.
I don't think anyone knows the truth. But Jeff Goodman reported that Baylor didn't offer him the highest NIL. FWIW

There are a few factors at play here, some that I have been told directly and others that have unfolded since the portal window opened last month, but none of them have any bearing on his confidence in the Miami program or the coaching staff's ability to develop him.

My understanding is that Norchad's plan was always to test the draft waters again, with a slight lean towards staying in and turning pro, whether that have been ending up overseas or (less likely) on a two-way contract. Coach L, publicly and privately, made it clear that the staff was not going to be held hostage again while others made their pro/portal decisions and very little effort were going to be made to re-recruit guys like Omier/Pack/Ky/Wooga.

With that said, the staff recruited players like Kidd and Johnson - who both fit with Norchad - with the assumption that a return was still possible, but it wasn't until we started seeing the NIL numbers in recent weeks that it seemed more likely that he was coming back to school, albeit elsewhere, and why you saw him enter the portal. Coleman Hawkins from Illinois, who's a projected second round draft pick, just pulled a similar move and Illinois likely won't match what another program will be willing to give him.

It sounds like St. John's was offering the most in NIL but Baylor offered more than he made at Miami, and has a top 5-10 roster in CBB, so it was an easy call for him.

There are a few factors at play here, some that I have been told directly and others that have unfolded since the portal window opened last month, but none of them have any bearing on his confidence in the Miami program or the coaching staff's ability to develop him.

My understanding is that Norchad's plan was always to test the draft waters again, with a slight lean towards staying in and turning pro, whether that have been ending up overseas or (less likely) on a two-way contract. Coach L, publicly and privately, made it clear that the staff was not going to be held hostage again while others made their pro/portal decisions and very little effort were going to be made to re-recruit guys like Omier/Pack/Ky/Wooga.

With that said, the staff recruited players like Kidd and Johnson - who both fit with Norchad - with the assumption that a return was still possible, but it wasn't until we started seeing the NIL numbers in recent weeks that it seemed more likely that he was coming back to school, albeit elsewhere, and why you saw him enter the portal. Coleman Hawkins from Illinois, who's a projected second round draft pick, just pulled a similar move and Illinois likely won't match what another program will be willing to give him.

It sounds like St. John's was offering the most in NIL but Baylor offered more than he made at Miami, and has a top 5-10 roster in CBB, so it was an easy call for him.
Solving 1 narrative by creating other narratives... "hostage" "pulled a similar move"....

Advertisement
I don't think anyone knows the truth. But Jeff Goodman reported that Baylor didn't offer him the highest NIL. FWIW
Goodman also said Baylor and Alabama are getting more talent for less NIL, comparable to UConn, and he is… wrong.

Omier wanted 7 figures and would have never entered the portal if we paid. Baylor paid 7 figures.

Advertisement
Did I miss where he used hostage or focused on that?

I did hear a bunch of talk about needing bigs -- which can't be true, because CIS says Coach L absolutely hates bigs...
I took the liberty of adding in the ‘being held hostage’ but was referring to him saying that those that were going to enter the draft were likely gone

I took the liberty of adding in the ‘being held hostage’ but was referring to him saying that those that were going to enter the draft were likely gone
That is the lessons learned from 2023 of which some of it Jim implies in the interview. When you have 8 guys wanting to entered the portal off a Final Four team and Jim early on is concerned almost half his roster is more interested in the NBA during fall camp, you know you may have a huge problem.

We gave Norchad a fair offer, and he decided to look elsewhere. It's business.

Advertisement
Back