OLine Question

KWCOWBOYFAN

Recruit
Premium
We talked a lot about our offensive scheme last year not helping our Oline.

Does the new offensive help the Oline in regards to not having to hold their blocks as long, because we are getting the ball out quicker, showing more motion, etc?

Hopefully @Lance Roffers, @Roman Marciante can give their perspective, from their film study’s!

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Does the new offensive help the Oline in regards to not having to hold their blocks as long, because we are getting the ball out quicker, showing more motion, etc?

Hopefully @Lance Roffers, @Roman Marciante can give their perspective, from their film study’s!

Thanks in advance.
Enos schemes to the strengths and weakness of his personnel so my guess is it will put the O-Line in a much better space to succeed. Also they will receive far better position coaching not to mention S&C. Look for a much improved unit this year.

It’s all about last year scheme being too predictable and not making the defenders think or cover space by not effectively using motion in the offensive scheme. When those motions are in the plays for an example the run plays you are essentially taking defenders out of the box by making them have to account for that area of space that would be open . Before hand defenders could just lock in and know it’s a run play based on how predictable and non imagitive richt scheme was in common downs and distances. Motions unclog some of those box defenders up sometimes up.

The oline was in no way shape or form helped by richt in terms of what he tried to run with his 30 year old playbook

With the players we had last year and besides their lack of talent but just strength i believe we should run a zone blocking ala Denver Broncos.

Advertisement
Well think about this St. Louis played tackle for us but at the All star game he played guard. NFL teams place kids in positions to succeed we didnt under last regimen.

They will have to "better" scheme for the lack of talent across the board in the OL unit.

Will it help? Maybe.

Don't expect a miracle.

Miami has caused self-inflicted wounds by consistently missing the right talent with a combination of inability to further develop the talent in the room.

Last edited:
It’s all about last year scheme being too predictable and not making the defenders think or cover space by not effectively using motion in the offensive scheme. When those motions are in the plays for an example the run plays you are essentially taking defenders out of the box by making them have to account for that area of space that would be open . Before hand defenders could just lock in and know it’s a run play based on how predictable and non imagitive richt scheme was in common downs and distances. Motions unclog some of those box defenders up sometimes up.

The oline was in no way shape or form helped by richt in terms of what he tried to run with his 30 year old playbook
71dd136080ee859812eb8ab412c61728.jpg

Advertisement
With the players we had last year and besides their lack of talent but just strength i believe we should run a zone blocking ala Denver Broncos.

Based on who we have, I'd disagree.
You have to have five athletic guys across the board. Donaldson is more or a lock in and bully type and isn't particularly nimble, I don't see those qualities in John Campbell or Scaife either. We have too much of a deviation between athletic (Corey Gaynor) and slower (see previous sentence).
If we're a team full of interior linemen, as is our curse, then we should think more about, Traps, Powers Counters. Essentially pulling these guys and giving better leverage angles to do what they do best and that's lock in and maul.

They will have to "better" scheme for the lack of talent across the board in the OL unit.

Will it help? Maybe.

Don't expect a miracle.

Miami has been victim to consistently missing the right talent with a combination of inability to further develop the talent in the room.

I agree 100% with the right talent combined with proper instruction how to
Lincou3.gif

Go Canes

I actually felt that last year we did better when we pulled than done blocking.

There were a few times that Eicht would add in fake jet sweep and counter and we would have big runs. But he barely ever did it.

I hated the basic play calling where I could call what they were going to do 60-70% of the time. We would never get into a good flow.

Advertisement
I don't think our OL is great, but having to hold your blocks for an entire season on the obvious 4 vert playbook certainly couldn't have done them any favors.

BROCK!
You nailed it. Nothing to add to this. Very nicely stated.

Advertisement

Thanks in advance.
I am not an X's and O's guy and other may feel different but I didnt feel our Oline was THAT bad in the passing game...TO ME, it seemed like he running game was the issue. Especially redzone/short yardage situations. Again, I could be wrong. But based off your question, it seems you want to see improvements in the passing game and didnt mention the run game

The Dallas Cowboys season completely changed this year when they fored their coach, hired Colombo and went from a zone scheme to a hat on a hat kick your *** downblocking scheme, we should do the same

Based on who we have, I'd disagree.
You have to have five athletic guys across the board. Donaldson is more or a lock in and bully type and isn't particularly nimble, I don't see those qualities in John Campbell or Scaife either. We have too much of a deviation between athletic (Corey Gaynor) and slower (see previous sentence).
If we're a team full of interior linemen, as is our curse, then we should think more about, Traps, Powers Counters. Essentially pulling these guys and giving better leverage angles to do what they do best and that's lock in and maul.
In summary, we have not had a good o line since 2000-2002 and little reason to think that 2019 line will be any better than what we’ve had for past 15 years.

Last year, the defense just T'd off on every play.

If it wasn't the clap-a-thon, or waiting for the running back to run up next to the QB, it was the QB running the play clock down to zero!!!

So frustrating to watch.

Advertisement
Back