Oline play

brock

All-American
Discuss?

We had what 1 or 2 sacks? And the running game looked pretty **** good. all in all if you are going to give the oline **** for every **** up or negative play then you need to give credit when runs break off too which plenty did tonight.

honestly but we didn’t always necessarily do them a favor running it on 1st/2nd down in the first 2 quarters and then to even finish the game but I suspect We were being very vanilla obviously with Louisville coming up next. Didn’t want to put too much on film.

Remember this is mostly the same oline group who couldn’t run on , cmu fiu, la tech which are 3 other group of 5 teams Last year.

So no it wasn’t perfect, wasn’t terrible either. Saw some good things and some pockets where throws could be made

Advertisement
Discuss?

We had what 1 or 2 sacks? And the running game looked pretty **** good. all in all if you are going to give the oline **** for every **** up or negative play then you need to give credit when runs break off too which plenty did tonight.

honestly but we didn’t always necessarily do them a favor running it on 1st/2nd down in the first 2 quarters and then to even finish the game but I suspect We were being very vanilla obviously with Louisville coming up next. Didn’t want to put too much on film.

Remember this is mostly the same oline group who couldn’t run on , cmu fiu, la tech which are 3 other group of 5 teams Last year.
I felt as if king created a lot of positive runs on his own, and many successful runs were due to RBs bouncing outside. In the middle (for the most part) we did not get to the second level as much as I would have liked vs. a non P5 team. Cam's long TD run was also due to a cut-back, otherwise it was blown up.

Advertisement
Oline is what it is.. I didnt really see them open any big holes, never got to second level, at point of attack opponent could not be moved.. I dont know how we move the ball against ACC opponents with no WR threats.. We will be like GT last year with a more dynamic QB

Advertisement
Average, at best. And that’s probably being generous.

Yes, better than what we watched last year. But we went 6-7 last year and got shut out in a bowl game. It sure as **** better be a lot better if we’re gonna win 9 games.

So sure, the final numbers look good. There’s plenty to be encouraged about. Good win. But the OL play was not good, overall. Can’t see how anyone can possibly say it was.

And before anyone tells me how great UAB was, they gave up over 6 yards a carry to Central Arkansas’ backs last week. Yes, Central Arkansas is an FCS team. Shockingly, in college football, last year doesn’t always = this year.

They were not overly physical and didn’t drive UAB back like you would expect. Running backs made a lot of plays by breaking tackles in the backfield or bouncing it outside when the lane wasn’t there. It’s an issue still, but with the lack of spring and first game I thought they showed better in the 2nd half. Hopefully improvement over the next 10 days before UL. I think they should.

Advertisement
Oline is what it is.. I didnt really see them open any big holes, never got to second level, at point of attack opponent could not be moved.. I dont know how we move the ball against ACC opponents with no WR threats.. We will be like GT last year with a more dynamic QB
They spent a lot of the game going back a level almost into the handoff.

while King is pretty **** creative when running for his life, he had to WAY too often.

Advertisement
Similar to the Richt and Enos years - we don't have NFL Olinemen, so asking them to blow a DLineman off the ball in the running game when the Dlineman knows what play is coming is suicidal.

Hopefully we see more creativity in the running game moving forward because that Shotgun dive / RPO play is very easy to defend if you have athletes on the outside too.

In the passing game I thought they were fine, for the most part. A huge part of Oline play is QB awareness - the ones who look like they're playing behind a wall when they drop back (unless it's Alabama) are usually the ones who can subtly shift around in the whatever pocket their Olinemen gives them.

I didn't see that from King, but he doesn't really need to with his elusiveness. He moves the pocket elsewhere.

King saved them a few times. Lashlee did them no favors. Running up the gut after every big play?
They cant really do much else.. We tried pulling guys, too slow and no push at point of attack.. I dont even want to see us try buck sweep or anything.. They need work..

They cant really do much else.. We tried pulling guys, too slow and no push at point of attack.. I dont even want to see us try buck sweep or anything.. They need work..

Definitely. Also dont need to run the same RB who just ran for 20+ yds right up the middle either EVERY TIME

Advertisement
Back