Oline play this spring

brock

All-American
Dmoney, Pete or anyone, have you heard anything as far as improvements go on the play of the oline? You would have to think the oline going against this talented dline with coach kool coaching them every day should make them step their game up so it would be harder in practice than in the games. That's what I'm hoping for

Advertisement
JMO, but for the reasons you mentioned and better coaching, you'd think they'll be much improved. No need to mention lack depth and quality. Staff gets only once a year to improve the talent level.

Better coaching can't get V8 performance from a 4 banger. It will take several seasons to get the OL pieces into place. Again, I offer this OL wouldn't even be considered elite at the DII level. Not criticizing the young men who play the position, but athletically, they are probably near or at the bottom of all DI programs.

Close friend of mine was at the scrimmage today and texted me the following post-game:

"Can't figure out of our Oline still sucks, or our Dline finally finished puberty..."

Advertisement
An elite QB can make a bad O line look a whole lot better. I think its fair to expect a good amount of 3 step drops, screens, and passes to the backs . One of the biggest problems with the last staff was they had no idea how to get playmakers in space.

We've got something like 6 four star OL recruits on the roster, with another few high quality three star guys. I know stars aren't determinative, but my point is, supposedly, we've got some talent. While certainly inexperienced, I still feel like we should have been better than we were last year. There's gotta be a starting combination that works with that (at least average) talent, with a couple of serviceable depth guys.

Our OL play was **** poor last year, but dude who made the "athletically worst of D1" comment needs to watch some more football.

Last edited:
Better coaching can't get V8 performance from a 4 banger. It will take several seasons to get the OL pieces into place. Again, I offer this OL wouldn't even be considered elite at the DII level. Not criticizing the young men who play the position, but athletically, they are probably near or at the bottom of all DI programs.

Dude. You pretty much just criticized them.

Im giving all these kids a fresh start and im not going to judge them from the way they played under Golden and co.

Go Canes!!!

Advertisement
Do you guys realize that a new system is being installed and the guys are still learning to make the correct calls for blocking assignments. The Oline held their own until the defense started with their blitz packages. They will be fine this season. The defense is just ahead of the offense this spring as it should be. If it wasn't people would complaining that the defense still sucks.

The backs ran for 215 yards yesterday on 27 carries. Thats almost 8 YPC. Not too shabby. What's this say about the d-line?

Last edited:
The backs ran for 215 yards yesterday on 27 carries. Thats almost 8 YPC. Not too shabby. What's this say about the d-line?

Shouldn't look too much into that, almost all of the big runs came against the second and third teams from what I had seen in clips. Waltons 26 yard rush was against 1st team, grays big run was against 2/ 3rd team, Gus big run was against the second team.

Last edited:
We've got something like 6 four star OL recruits on the roster, with another few high quality three star guys. I know stars aren't determinative, but my point is, supposedly, we've got some talent. While certainly inexperienced, I still feel like we should have been better than we were last year. There's gotta be a starting combination that works with that (at least average) talent, with a couple of serviceable depth guys.

Our OL play was **** poor last year, but dude who made the "athletically worst of D1" comment needs to watch some more football.

I suspect, since the very first NC win, I've watched as much or more Hurricane football as anyone on this board. Walk us through how you feel the OL play has improved? Can you offer a name on the OL unit that would start on a top 10 unit from last year? Do you really think Wake Forest had a WORSE OL last year than Miami? Again, not trying to appear that I'm criticizing the players personally, but the facts of non-performance are abundantly clear at it would appear, based on the practice and scrimmage reports, that little has improved for the upcoming campaign.

With that said, it would also appear the DL has improved because we wouldn't consistently hear about them "winning" a practice/scrimmage for the past several years...and now that seems to be changing. However, just because the DL is improving, that doesn't mean there isn't serious concern for the OL. I suppose one would EXPECT to see the DL "winning" in light of continued poor OL play. This game is full of elite QBs and other positions being dragged down by the weak foundation of awful OL and DL units...and none more apparent than an OL hampering the entire offensive unit. If you can't run block (they couldn't) or pass protect (not much better), it doesn't matter who you have under center or in the backfield.

I hope I am wrong about the OL, but there has been too much film on the majority of the players to suggest otherwise until proven differently. Maybe they have or do improve, but until it's demonstrated on the field, we only have recent history with the majority of the same players, to base an opinion on. No amount of "we back" or "give them a clean slate with the new coaches" will change that.

Go Coach Searles!!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement

Shouldn't look too much into that, almost all of the big runs came against the second and third teams from what I had seen in clips. Waltons 26 yard rush was against 1st team, grays big run was against 2/ 3rd team, Gus big run was against the second team.

When you rotate 8 or 9 all game, the 2nd team is going to play a lot. Seems like we're running the ball pretty consistently against our defense, which isn't really a great sign with 2 starting OL out. I think we ran it pretty well in the other scrimmage too.

We need to be greatly improved over last year against the run, or our defense will continue to stink. I can't think of any excellent defenses that get gashed up on the ground.

Im giving all these kids a fresh start and im not going to judge them from the way they played under Golden and co.

Go Canes!!!

Pretty sure they ran the wrong system for our OL. With new system and coaches I believe some guys will suprise this year

Advertisement

When you rotate 8 or 9 all game, the 2nd team is going to play a lot. Seems like we're running the ball pretty consistently against our defense, which isn't really a great sign with 2 starting OL out. I think we ran it pretty well in the other scrimmage too.

We need to be greatly improved over last year against the run, or our defense will continue to stink. I can't think of any excellent defenses that get gashed up on the ground.
True we definitely need to improve that area.

As much as it says about the OL.

The problem with anyone saying who is doing what is that we as fans (to some degree the players I'm sure as well at this point) don't know the playbook. Even if we did, we don't know exactly what play was called or what the correct defensive assignments and adjustments would be.

Coach Kugs is a sacred cow around these parts though. So most will overlook the yardage the offense put up and key on things like sacks. Sacks and TFL's don't matter much when you're giving up a ton of yards.

Now toss in the fact that most of the discussion is between people who weren't there, you've got the perfect ****storm of prognostication based on little to no information.

We'll see what the season brings and hopefully all remain healthy until that point. I know one thing from years and years of Spring / Fall reports....they don't mean a thing. The information is controlled in what is allowed out and very limited.

Go Canes!!!

Pretty sure they ran the wrong system for our OL. With new system and coaches I believe some guys will suprise this year

I hope you are right...however hope is never the best course of action. I guess we will have to wait for the first few games to start going over game film...

Go Canes!!!!

Advertisement
Back