Old time canes from the 60's era

Advertisement
Advertisement
Nick Spinelli.jpg

Advertisement
Condolences to you and your loved ones. God speed to all and R.I.P. to a fellow Cane!

Advertisement
I echo the condolences offered to you and your family

I watched Canes fball back in the early 70's. Scrappy teams that never backed down to anybody. Not to Notre Dame. Not to Florida. Not to Oklahoma. Not to Texas.

Made me fall in love with this school.

So sorry to read this. My condolences.

I remember your father so well. After Bill "Brownie" Miller, our All-America split end left at the end of the '61 season, your father Nick took over as George Mira's (the real Matador's) primary receiving target.

I remember an interview with your father where he said if not for football he probably would have spent his adult life working in the coal mines. UM and football was his way out. He later spent some time with the Patriots, as I recall.

I still remember a preseason special by one of the networks where they highlighted what was expected to be Gus's dream team, I believe, the 1963 season. Gus' final.

They showed the offense running through practice drills and your father was playing flanker and he was wearing a big cast on his forearm, yet he was still getting ready to play.

Typical tough western Pennsylvania kid that was the lifeblood of UM football during that era.

Again, so sorry for the loss. It's a loss for us longtime Canes fans as well. I hope the rest of the family is bearing up given the sad and tragic news.

Advertisement
I remember him well. Nick was a fan favorite. A very versatile player. I remember his punt return for a TD vs Syracuse in the 61 Liberty Bowl.

RIP

My father nick spinelli was killed in a car wreck in Boca last week. You can google him, but he was a 4 way player as a receiver, DB, KR and PR for the canes during the Mira era.
He was slightly before the era when I would attend practices as a kid. My dad would speak highly of your dad however and was often in the presence of the Mira family. He was an outstanding WR in his era. I am sorry for your loss sir. Your dad was a great Cane!!! RIP 🙏

Advertisement
Back