OL Tre Johnson

ZoCane

Redshirt Freshman
Looked at the official roster on the website this morning and he is no longer listed on there. Is he gone?

Advertisement
Thanks, I usually catch those random transfers, but I guess I missed that one.

after the 2020 class, we should be stacked at all positions with great depth.

Advertisement
We should be stacked after the 19 class. 20 should be to reload. Richt and Diaz have been saying such the past 2 years. It’s well documented.

We won't be stacked on defense after the 19 class unless it gets considerably better between now and February, which it can. As of now, here's your 17/18/19 signee chart. This is not "stacked". The 18 offense was how you get a program stacked. I was hoping the 19 defense would be the same, but so far, no dice:

DE: Garvin, Rousseau, Joyner, Cam Williams, Harvey -- Good haul here, especially if Rousseau pans out how we think he might. Really need to add 1 more elite talent in 2019, though. Bogle.....it's time.

DT: Ford, Silvera, Miller, Munoz, Holley -- Not to beat a dead horse, but we know this is the glaring weakness and it has been for several years now. On paper, this is not impressive, although I do think Munoz is very underrated due to the injury and we all think Silvera is going to be a star. Ford is the wildcard here. He looks like an NFL DT...he needs to play like one this fall. And we need at least 1-2 more this class.

LB: Steed, Jennings, Wilder, Solomon, Huff, Brooks -- Needed at least 3 after not taking any in 2018, and I think this is a good group. Brooks is very underrated coming off the injury, and I think Huff is the best outside backer in the state. But with the high chance 55 and 56 are gone next year, at least 2 of those 3 from 2017 better be ballers. Jury still out on all of them, simply because they didn't play at all as freshmen due to the 3 we have in the lineup. Very comfortable with the 3 we have committed now.

CB: Bandy, Dean, Blades, Ivey, Frierson, Bethel, Good, Couch, Brownlee -- Decent, could be much better. Again, we know the Rumph dialogue, not going to beat it into the ground. But Dean needs to get his head out of his ***. Losing Malek Young was so huge for this team, because now Bandy has to play on the outside until Dean or one of the freshmen separate themselves. And Bandy is much more impactful in the slot. The 4 last year were excellent, not going to cry over the ones we missed. But you add Stevenson to this group and you're set. I'm not sold that Good, Couch, or Brownlee are going to be impact players. Again, good haul, but this is not stacked. This is not what the Top 5 programs in the country do at a position group in 3 classes. On paper. Hoping one of these kids really skyrockets once they get in the mix.

S: D. Smith, Carter, Hall, K. Smith -- This is probably my favorite positional grouping when you add that most likely 1-2 of the kids above mentioned as CBs will end up here. That's 4 REALLY tough kids with exceptional skills, plus someone like Gil or Blades will be in this mix as well.

When you look at this as a whole, 2017 looks to be a pretty good class, but the loss of DJ Johnson really hurts. If you add him in as an elite DT, that group looks so much better.

2018, obviously jury is way out but the DB class was excellent, and Nesta was excellent. Other than that, the majority of that excellent class was on offense. Like I said earlier, we needed to have the same haul for 2019 defense as we had 2018 offense. And so far, it's not even close. This is the blueprint for a good defense. It's not yet STACKED. We need to land kids like Stevenson, Bogle, Tyler Davis, Summerall, Richards, Ingraham, and do it in back to back classes, to truly be stacked on that side.

Offense on the other hand, is stacked.

We won't be stacked on defense after the 19 class unless it gets considerably better between now and February, which it can. As of now, here's your 17/18/19 signee chart. This is not "stacked". The 18 offense was how you get a program stacked. I was hoping the 19 defense would be the same, but so far, no dice:

DE: Garvin, Rousseau, Joyner, Cam Williams, Harvey -- Good haul here, especially if Rousseau pans out how we think he might. Really need to add 1 more elite talent in 2019, though. Bogle.....it's time.

DT: Ford, Silvera, Miller, Munoz, Holley -- Not to beat a dead horse, but we know this is the glaring weakness and it has been for several years now. On paper, this is not impressive, although I do think Munoz is very underrated due to the injury and we all think Silvera is going to be a star. Ford is the wildcard here. He looks like an NFL DT...he needs to play like one this fall. And we need at least 1-2 more this class.

LB: Steed, Jennings, Wilder, Solomon, Huff, Brooks -- Needed at least 3 after not taking any in 2018, and I think this is a good group. Brooks is very underrated coming off the injury, and I think Huff is the best outside backer in the state. But with the high chance 55 and 56 are gone next year, at least 2 of those 3 from 2017 better be ballers. Jury still out on all of them, simply because they didn't play at all as freshmen due to the 3 we have in the lineup. Very comfortable with the 3 we have committed now.

CB: Bandy, Dean, Blades, Ivey, Frierson, Bethel, Good, Couch, Brownlee -- Decent, could be much better. Again, we know the Rumph dialogue, not going to beat it into the ground. But Dean needs to get his head out of his ***. Losing Malek Young was so huge for this team, because now Bandy has to play on the outside until Dean or one of the freshmen separate themselves. And Bandy is much more impactful in the slot. The 4 last year were excellent, not going to cry over the ones we missed. But you add Stevenson to this group and you're set. I'm not sold that Good, Couch, or Brownlee are going to be impact players. Again, good haul, but this is not stacked. This is not what the Top 5 programs in the country do at a position group in 3 classes. On paper. Hoping one of these kids really skyrockets once they get in the mix.

S: D. Smith, Carter, Hall, K. Smith -- This is probably my favorite positional grouping when you add that most likely 1-2 of the kids above mentioned as CBs will end up here. That's 4 REALLY tough kids with exceptional skills, plus someone like Gil or Blades will be in this mix as well.

When you look at this as a whole, 2017 looks to be a pretty good class, but the loss of DJ Johnson really hurts. If you add him in as an elite DT, that group looks so much better.

2018, obviously jury is way out but the DB class was excellent, and Nesta was excellent. Other than that, the majority of that excellent class was on offense. Like I said earlier, we needed to have the same haul for 2019 defense as we had 2018 offense. And so far, it's not even close. This is the blueprint for a good defense. It's not yet STACKED. We need to land kids like Stevenson, Bogle, Tyler Davis, Summerall, Richards, Ingraham, and do it in back to back classes, to truly be stacked on that side.

I agree with most of your assessment. The OL is what needed the most improvement when you look at the roster. That's been addressed beautifully in 18 and will be in 19 with Neal. My point though is that the coaches themselves have said all along UM will have the depth to compete for championships after the 19 class. It's likely going to take several guys you mentioned plus a couple Jeff Thomas's and Jarren Williams's to come out of the woodwork. They have to find a way to get it done or Richt needs make some obvious changes.

I agree with most of your assessment. The OL is what needed the most improvement when you look at the roster. That's been addressed beautifully in 18 and will be in 19 with Neal. My point though is that the coaches themselves have said all along UM will have the depth to compete for championships after the 19 class. It's likely going to take several guys you mentioned plus a couple Jeff Thomas's and Jarren Williams's to come out of the woodwork. They have to find a way to get it done or Richt needs make some obvious changes.

Yes, but I disagree with them on the defensive side of the ball, unless they can really clean up on that side in this class.

On the offensive side, I agree completely. They do need to keep landing elite talent on the OL, and if Evan Neal does sign here I can't even put into words how gigantic that is for the depth we're both speaking of...championship depth. The rest of the offense is absurdly loaded.

But you can't say the same on the defensive side of the ball. If they whiff on the majority of Stevenson, Tyler Davis, Bogle, Richards, Summerall, Weaver, Elam and a couple others, Manny cannot say with a straight face that Miami will have the depth and talent on defense to compete for national championships.

Advertisement
Tre Johnson is at the JUCO that stomped the school from Last Chance U Season 3 by 50 points in the first game

I agree hands down with your assessment that the Defense is behind the Offense in terms of talent buildup. But I think the 19 class closes that gap.

DT - We need two more, and we are poised to land two more.
DE - We need 2-3 more and we should do just that.
LB - We are set. 19 addressed the need.
DB - We need 1 more CB and S each.

The staff has quality recruits in play to fill every one of the slots listed above with the 19 class. It’s all laid out for them. So if they don’t close, they have themselves to blame.

Only pass I give them for this class is QB because this is a &hitty year for QBs.

19 addresses all Defensive needs and 20 is restocking.

I like the assessment but think we can address the lack of depth on the defense with the ‘19 class. I think once the kids see how well we ball out in 2018, they’ll come and sign on the dotted line NSD. And then I think we cover any gaps via JUCO and/or transfers for the rest. Once we get the last of Golden’s dead weight that’s not producing we will see the spike up in talent signed, and our march towards the CFP and rings.

Advertisement

Dean is gone after this year and Bethel has another year.

Advertisement
Back