OL style to be used by Major?

Cortez55403

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
Lance’s writeup on Major Applewhite was awesome. Thanks.

Question: what kind of OL style/strategy does Major prefer to use?

I ask because I continue to be frustrated by the ongoing lack of identity of UM’s offensive line. Do we want really big guys like 55 who will maul you or somewhat smaller, more nimble guys like 51 who will out technique you? In other words, do we want to be the Hogs of the old Washington Redskins or the athletic Denver Bronco lines of their glory years?

Right now we are neither. Contrast our confusion with the very clear OL model employed by Wisconsin. They consistently recruit tall and athletic OLinemen who played multiple sports in high school eg basketball, baseball, wrestling. They are often in the 250-270 lb range to start and then mature to 300 lbs after 2-3 years of strength and conditioning. They mature together and play as a unit.

We, on the other hand, recruit a wide variety of body types and have no clear model as to what our OL should look like.

Anybody know Major’s OL philosophy? Hope he has one.

Thanks.

Advertisement
He will be required to have the longstanding Miami OL philosophy of not being able to move the opposing DL off the line - especially in short yardage situations.

Matador style:

tenor.gif

Before the 2018 season he went out and got a spread oline coach and it improved the offense quite a bit from 2017 to 2018

Advertisement
I don’t want anymore Milo’s, Jahir Jones, and Mahoney type players anymore.

Advertisement
Back