OL Ryan Brodie

USNAVYCANE

All American
Maude
Long Branch (N.J.) High offensive tackle Ryan Brodie returned from his first official visit, which he enjoyed, and said there are also four other schools he plans on tripping to.
The 6-foot-5, 275-pound Brodie was at Connecticut for the weekend, where he watched the Huskies fall to Louisville, and told Scout.com he will visit West Virginia (maybe this weekend), Illinois (Dec. 9-11), Rutgers (TBD) and Miami (TBD).

He added because his official visit schedule is just beginning, making an announcement at the Semper Fidelis All-America Bowl is not likely.

As for his trip to Connecticut, after a late Friday night arrival, it essentially began Saturday morning.

“I woke up and went to breakfast, then went down to the field and I met the (other) recruits,â€Â￾ Brodie said. “We hung out, and my running back (Dwight Clark) was there, too. He came up for an unofficial visit.

“The whole experience …I liked the fans, but they’re tough fans. They’re tough fans. They’ll boo you in a second, but it’s just like a college game, how it’s supposed to be.â€Â￾

Brodie’s host was offensive lineman Gus Cruz.

“He was cool and he showed me the ropes and he told me how everything is, and it all added up,â€Â￾ Brodie said. “It was exactly what the coaches told me.â€Â￾

After spending Saturday night hanging out with some of the Huskies and learning more about the program, Sunday morning was spent on the UConn campus.

“I went to go talk to the academic people and then we toured the school again and I saw the campus all over again,â€Â￾ said Brodie, who was in Storrs for junior day. “They are always blunt with me. I knew what to expect because they’re honest people.â€Â￾

During the meetings with coach Paul Pasqualoni and his staff, Brodie was made to feel like a priority on the recruiting trail.

“I already knew that,â€Â￾ he said. “I felt that way from junior day that they really wanted me, needed me, and really embraced me there. So, I knew it was going to be the same way when I went there again.

“(Pasqualoni) is old school and honest. It’s very important. I asked him about the longevity of his career there, and he said he’s not planning on going anywhere. He talked about possible playing time. He told me, basically, he doesn’t guarantee any starting spot for a freshman, but he told me if I work hard in the offseason I would have a good opportunity to play.â€Â￾

With the Connecticut visit behind him and Long Branch’s season finale looming Thursday against Red Bank Regional High (Little Silver, N.J.), recruiting is about to take center stage, and a trip to West Virginia for Friday’s “Backyard Brawlâ€Â￾ with Pittsburgh is a high possibility.

“I always liked West Virginia,â€Â￾ Brodie said. “I talked to the coaches earlier, but the contact just stopped. They re-connected with me in the last few months. I like them a lot. I like the program, I like their offense. I want to go out there and check it out to see even more what they’re about.â€Â￾ The visit to Illinois is set but dates for Rutgers and Miami need to be finalized.

“I’m going to go check (Rutgers) out,â€Â￾ he said. “I’m going to go visit them. (Offensively line) coach (Kyle) Flood told me he has a good time planned, so I’m going to go and check out Rutgers. I actually don’t know when because we haven’t set up a date yet.â€Â￾

Brodie also continues to hear from Miami.

“I caught a few games this season, but they play when we play, so it is hard,â€Â￾ Brodie said.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back