OL Coach Hot Board

JayCane20

Seasoned Vet
Premium
Looks like we'll be firing Butch Barry - just waiting on the new OC to finalize that. He probably has no buyout or his buyout decreases after Dec 31. No idea why we are holding onto him. Just wanted to look at some names for his potential replacement so I did some analysis looking at sack % and adjusted YPC (taking off sacks from attempts and adding back sack yardage to total yards). For reference Miami was 121st in sack % at 51 sacks in 437 pass attempts (11.67%) and our adjusted ypc was 59th in the country at 5.20 ypc. Puts us around 100-105 in the country in a quick and easy formula for OL efficiency. Looking at the same numbers across the country here are some names not in any order of preference or anything:

1. Rob Sale - Louisiana Lafayette - OL Coach and OC - Billy Napier calls the plays but he has OC title. Has been at UGA and AZ State. Richt chose to hire Searels instead of bringing him to Miami. Currently makes $325k. They rank 15th in sack % at 3.88% and 2nd in Adj ypc at 6.82. The 2nd most efficient OL in America behind Clemson.

2. Eman Naghavi - Louisiana Monroe - OL Coach - Good upcoming coach that has a solid resume already and apart of an efficient offense at UL Monroe - 18th in the country in sack % at 3.89% and 10th in the country in adjusted ypc at 5.90. Currently makes $100k. Came to ULM from McNeese State where he had a good playing career. Probably not the resume and experience we need at this point in time but he will get a P5 job in the near future.

3. Glen Elarbee - UCF - OL Coach - Probably going to get a bump in title and salary since Lebby has left and seems loyal to Huepel. Moving to a spread he's probably as good as anyone coming from the Briles tree and would be my personal choice. 35th in sack % at 5.25% and 22nd in adj ypc at 5.70. Good for 11th in the country in overall efficiency in 2019. Currently makes $425k.

4. Jack Bicknell - Unemployed currently - Spent 2019 at Ole Miss - Significant NFL experience. Was previously the OL coach for the Steelers and Chiefs, Asst OL coach for the Dolphins, Former HC at Louisiana Tech. Good college experience and known as a good recruiter. Hired by Matt Luke who is arguably a top 5 OL coach in CFB himself. 65th in sack % at 6.33% and 16th in adj ypc at 5.84. Made $400k at Ole Miss. Worked under Rich Rod so he's familiar working in a spread offense.

5. Dustin Fry - Currently unemployed - Spent 2019 at Arkansas under Chad Morris - Former Clemson and NFL player - Followed Morris from Clemson to SMU to Arkansas. Known as a young upcoming OL Coach and good recruiter. Before SMU he was a grad assistant at Clemson with Morris. Coached an OL unit at Arkansas playing against stout DLs in the SEC west, where they didn't come close to stacking up with the talent level. 28th in sack % at 4.67% and 49th in adj ypc at 5.31. Made $400k in 2019 and looking for a job.

Other names to look at - Scott Fuchs at Buffalo (3rd in sack % and 64th in adj ypc), Allen Mogridge was at FIU and hired by Scott at USF (10th in sack % and 89th in adj ypc), Thomas Austin at Ga State (37th in sack % and 20th in adj ypc) and works under Shawn Elliott who is a respected OL coach.

Of course these stats are just relative to their team talent and strength of schedule but its a starting point. Most of these guys have a good track record though. Also, we will have to consider the OC that is chosen and who they would consider from previous stops.

Advertisement
I would think the new OL will be tied to whoever the OC is

Probably so and i referenced that. But for reference, if its Lashlee, AJ Ricker shouldn't be the choice because he's not qualified for the job. If it's Yost, it shouldnt be John Schlarman because this year is his first ever coaching OL.

Should find someone with a similar vision that didn't have to work under or with the OC at a previous stop with proven results. Probably asking too much for a UM hire.

Looks like we'll be firing Butch Barry - just waiting on the new OC to finalize that. He probably has no buyout or his buyout decreases after Dec 31. No idea why we are holding onto him. Just wanted to look at some names for his potential replacement so I did some analysis looking at sack % and adjusted YPC (taking off sacks from attempts and adding back sack yardage to total yards). For reference Miami was 121st in sack % at 51 sacks in 437 pass attempts (11.67%) and our adjusted ypc was 59th in the country at 5.20 ypc. Puts us around 100-105 in the country in a quick and easy formula for OL efficiency. Looking at the same numbers across the country here are some names not in any order of preference or anything:

1. Rob Sale - Louisiana Lafayette - OL Coach and OC - Billy Napier calls the plays but he has OC title. Has been at UGA and AZ State. Richt chose to hire Searels instead of bringing him to Miami. Currently makes $325k. They rank 15th in sack % at 3.88% and 2nd in Adj ypc at 6.82. The 2nd most efficient OL in America behind Clemson.

2. Eman Naghavi - Louisiana Monroe - OL Coach - Good upcoming coach that has a solid resume already and apart of an efficient offense at UL Monroe - 18th in the country in sack % at 3.89% and 10th in the country in adjusted ypc at 5.90. Currently makes $100k. Came to ULM from McNeese State where he had a good playing career. Probably not the resume and experience we need at this point in time but he will get a P5 job in the near future.

3. Glen Elarbee - UCF - OL Coach - Probably going to get a bump in title and salary since Lebby has left and seems loyal to Huepel. Moving to a spread he's probably as good as anyone coming from the Briles tree and would be my personal choice. 35th in sack % at 5.25% and 22nd in adj ypc at 5.70. Good for 11th in the country in overall efficiency in 2019. Currently makes $425k.

4. Jack Bicknell - Unemployed currently - Spent 2019 at Ole Miss - Significant NFL experience. Was previously the OL coach for the Steelers and Chiefs, Asst OL coach for the Dolphins, Former HC at Louisiana Tech. Good college experience and known as a good recruiter. Hired by Matt Luke who is arguably a top 5 OL coach in CFB himself. 65th in sack % at 6.33% and 16th in adj ypc at 5.84. Made $400k at Ole Miss. Worked under Rich Rod so he's familiar working in a spread offense.

5. Dustin Fry - Currently unemployed - Spent 2019 at Arkansas under Chad Morris - Former Clemson and NFL player - Followed Morris from Clemson to SMU to Arkansas. Known as a young upcoming OL Coach and good recruiter. Before SMU he was a grad assistant at Clemson with Morris. Coached an OL unit at Arkansas playing against stout DLs in the SEC west, where they didn't come close to stacking up with the talent level. 28th in sack % at 4.67% and 49th in adj ypc at 5.31. Made $400k in 2019 and looking for a job.

Other names to look at - Scott Fuchs at Buffalo (3rd in sack % and 64th in adj ypc), Allen Mogridge was at FIU and hired by Scott at USF (10th in sack % and 89th in adj ypc), Thomas Austin at Ga State (37th in sack % and 20th in adj ypc) and works under Shawn Elliott who is a respected OL coach.

Of course these stats are just relative to their team talent and strength of schedule but its a starting point. Most of these guys have a good track record though. Also, we will have to consider the OC that is chosen and who they would consider from previous stops.

I like Thomas Austin at GAState for the reason you cited about his HC being an old, and very good, OL coach...also, he played at Clemson under another very good OL coach in Robbie Caldwell. I wonder if Austin or Fry will be the new OL coach at USF.

I mentioned Naghavi in a different thread discussing OC candidates. Specifically, impressed with ULM's offense. Naghavi did some GA work at Texas under Mack Brown and Strong, so he may know Diaz.

Advertisement
I just have to laugh when I see people posting numbers for what coaches did at other schools. Just wait until they get here and find a roster full of quitters.

I like Thomas Austin at GAState for the reason you cited about his HC being an old, and very good, OL coach...also, he played at Clemson under another very good OL coach in Robbie Caldwell. I wonder if Austin or Fry will be the new OL coach at USF.

I mentioned Naghavi in a different thread discussing OC candidates. Specifically, impressed with ULM's offense. Naghavi did some GA work at Texas under Mack Brown and Strong, so he may know Diaz.

Naghavi, Diaz, Banda, and maybe even Patke were all at Texas in Diaz’s last season. Probably something to watch

Advertisement
Probably so and i referenced that. But for reference, if its Lashlee, AJ Ricker shouldn't be the choice because he's not qualified for the job. If it's Yost, it shouldnt be John Schlarman because this year is his first ever coaching OL.

Should find someone with a similar vision that didn't have to work under or with the OC at a previous stop with proven results. Probably asking too much for a UM hire.

Couldn’t agree more!!!

Our best oline hire ever Stoutland didn’t follow an OC or was butt buddies with someone

He got hired because his resume spoke for itself and Radio needed to upgrade the **** oline

If manny is smart he tells whoever the OC is that he needs to find the best oline coach where ever he is and hire them...

Let the WR and QB be the OCs butt buddy tag alongs (who can hopefully recruit)

Couldn’t agree more!!!

Our best oline hire ever Stoutland didn’t follow an OC or was butt buddies with someone

He got hired because his resume spoke for itself and Radio needed to upgrade the **** oline

If manny is smart he tells whoever the OC is that he needs to find the best oline coach where ever he is and hire them...

Let the WR and QB be the OCs butt buddy tag alongs (who can hopefully recruit)

Saban hires the best position coaches to coach their position and let the coordinator call the offense. How it should be done. I'm not a fan of the Manny strategy to have chemistry and be friends with everyone on the staff. Sounds great but usually leads to not firing people when they don't do their job and they're not challenging you for your job and questioning what you're saying because they all see through the same lenses. Whatever Manny says is gospel to Blake, Banda, and Patke because they all learned from him. The only defense they know is what he teaches them.

It's less of a problem to be like that on D and I think Manny is adaptive enough and smart enough on that side of the ball. On offense he knows nothing and its a new age thing. He needs to get out of his own way.

Advertisement
Naghavi would be a good and logical choice. He's also been a recruiting coordinator, albeit at a much lower level, but it's better than nothing and we need some god **** recruiters.

Whoever the OC wants though.

Naghavi would be a good and logical choice. He's also been a recruiting coordinator, albeit at a much lower level, but it's better than nothing and we need some god **** recruiters.

Whoever the OC wants though.

In terms of coaching style and recruiting pedigree he's potentially a young Cristobal type if he gets the right P5 opportunity

Naghavi, Diaz, Banda, and maybe even Patke were all at Texas in Diaz’s last season. Probably something to watch

Speaking of the ULM staff, the WR coach was on Mullen' staff at MissState during 2013 and 2014 and he is originally
from Fort Lauderdale.
This ULM doesn't many games, but they are fun to watch....I would take their QB Kaleb Evans too.

Advertisement
Saban hires the best position coaches to coach their position and let the coordinator call the offense. How it should be done. I'm not a fan of the Manny strategy to have chemistry and be friends with everyone on the staff. Sounds great but usually leads to not firing people when they don't do their job and they're not challenging you for your job and questioning what you're saying because they all see through the same lenses. Whatever Manny says is gospel to Blake, Banda, and Patke because they all learned from him. The only defense they know is what he teaches them.

It's less of a problem to be like that on D and I think Manny is adaptive enough and smart enough on that side of the ball. On offense he knows nothing and its a new age thing. He needs to get out of his own way.

Good work MJ.

Advertisement
Back