OL Bethea earns Miami offer, gives overview of recruitment

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
The Miami Hurricanes have been recruiting the New York area hard yet again in the 2021 class, and have taken special interest in Erasmus Hall in Brooklyn. Late last week, UM offered LB Sebastian Sagar from the school, which was a follow up to the offer that went out to Sagar’s teammate OL Armon Bethea in late January.

“First, I was very shocked, I was very overwhelmed - I really didn’t know it was coming,” Bethea said of his UM offer. “With all the hard work I’ve put in, I definitely deserve it.”

The Miami offer came when outside linebackers coach Jonathan Patke visited the school, and Bethea was one of the first new offers for new offensive line coach Garin Justice, who came into the program in mid-January.

“[Patke] was telling me about the changes in the coaching staff and the vision that they had for the program,” Bethea said. “From my research, I’ve heard it’s a very warm climate, good facilities. Miami’s really nice, I think that’s a good location. I love what they’re adding to the program - for example, I love them adding Ed Reed as Chief of Staff, I like the new offensive line coach Garin Justice. I just like the plan that Manny Diaz has for the program.”

The 6-6 330 pound prospect is mainly being recruited by schools as a guard, and says he has done his research on what new Miami OC Rhett Lashlee will bring to the program.

“I love their new spread offense,” Bethea said. “My high school runs a no-huddle spread offense, so it would be an easy transition for me. It appears with the changes that are being made with the coaching staff and the new spread offense, the U will get back to winning, which is very appealing.”

Elsewhere in this recruitment, Bethea cites Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt, Boston College, West Virginia, and Texas A&M as schools he’s beginning to hear from as his recruitment starts to pick up.

“It’s been kind of fun and exciting,” Bethea said. “I’m just exploring my options right now, waiting for more offers to come in. I’ve been to Rutgers and I’m really looking forward to coming to Miami’s campus, definitely hoping to come this summer.”

How did Bethea’s Rutgers trip go?

“It was pretty good,” Bethea said. “I went in there, they took my height and weight, took a tour around the facilities, we had a group meeting with Greg Schiano. The E. Hall kids, we hung around and had a photoshoot, it was pretty fun. I like that it’s close to home and I like the plan that Greg Schiano has for the program.”

Although Bethea doesn’t have a timetable for a decision, he does hope to narrow down his options by the start of the fall season.

“September, probably before the season starts, that’s when I’m going to list my top choices,” Bethea said. “Miami will definitely be one of my top choices.

“I’m looking for a program that has a winning tradition and I’m looking for a program that has a strong emphasis on offensive lineman and has a reputation for getting offensive lineman to the next level. The location and the academics too. Also, I want to walk into a school and feel like I belong, feel like I’m part of a family.”

Bethea was an integral part of the Dutchmen’s New York City Title-winning offense in 2019, and he has been hard at work over the offseason to make sure a repeat is in the cards.

“I’ve been working on my flexibility, getting stronger and faster, just working on my technique. I’ve been doing yoga, swimming, just aside from me lifting and doing speed training.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
He has great size but his conditioning needs work. He leans on guys at times and doesn't always drive his man. Needs to improve his footwork which will come with better conditioning and coaching. It was odd not to see any pass blocking in his highlight. It's hard to truly evaluate him without seeing his feet and stance in pass blocking. Good prospect but he'll need 2-3 years to develop.

He has great size but his conditioning needs work. He leans on guys at times and doesn't always drive his man. Needs to improve his footwork which will come with better conditioning and coaching. It was odd not to see any pass blocking in his highlight. It's hard to truly evaluate him without seeing his feet and stance in pass blocking. Good prospect but he'll need 2-3 years to develop.
Sounds like Adam El-Gammal part 2

I’m a little surprised at the offer given his high weight already. I’d imagined that we‘d be targeting long and lean OL recruits, especially those who play other sports, eg basketball, wrestling.

But, I defer to the coaches. Like the NYC connection like the 3 we landed in the ‘19 class.

I'm glad to see we are recruiting an academic All-American...

"From my research, I’ve heard it’s a very warm climate"

I kid, I kid.

It's still a hilarious line.
and will, eventually, be all underwater. He has time, though. Another 30-50 years. When it all happens, he won't have far to walk to take a swim. (a recruiting selling point?)

Advertisement
Sounds like Adam El-Gammal part 2

Let's hope not. I don't expect El-Gammal to finish his career with Miami. He was/is too much of a project.

As for Bethea, I want the coaches to have guys like this prove themselves at paradise camp before offering. Let's see how he fares against the DL down in SoFla before handing out an offer. Adding dead weight at OL has been a problem with Miami for over a decade.

This is the type of kid we need in the locker room.

I mean you really gotta get through all the fake news and climate change garbage to find out what the weather is really like down here.
it's not all garbage....solid science based on prophecy.

If they offered, they must have liked something about him. Who knows if this is commitable though. If he wanted to commit today, I would be interested to see if they would take it. Especially with the guys we still have on our board.

Advertisement
Whose to say this
I’m a little surprised at the offer given his high weight already. I’d imagined that we‘d be targeting long and lean OL recruits, especially those who play other sports, eg basketball, wrestling.

But, I defer to the coaches. Like the NYC connection like the 3 we landed in the ‘19 class.
Says most schools see him as a guard.... which I’m sure we are as well as like you said super limited pass blocking on film

and like you said we like lean/tall/athletic Tackles

Advertisement
Let's hope not. I don't expect El-Gammal to finish his career with Miami. He was/is too much of a project.

As for Bethea, I want the coaches to have guys like this prove themselves at paradise camp before offering. Let's see how he fares against the DL down in SoFla before handing out an offer. Adding dead weight at OL has been a problem with Miami for over a decade.

Kid has been on campus for a semester and a half and you are already writing him off?

Kid has been on campus for a semester and a half and you are already writing him off?

To be fair, D$ said in his podcast that ElGammal was performing at a low level and could be headed along the same path as Dykstra.

Let's face it, Clark was the only OL in that class who had proven he deserved an offer. EG, Nelson, Kennedy and Traore were all projections by a mediocre-at-best OL coach in Searels. Even Clark is a low ceiling kid. We've really stunk it up in terms of OL talent over the last several classes..

Advertisement
Back